SAU Community

Single High Mount Decisions?

Hi guys,

I'm at the point where i need to know what turbo i'm going to bolt on, mixed opinions from so many, i dont want to spend more than what a t04z costs eg t51R

so i'm asking ... what large turbo for a price around the t04z's price range can i also get and what turbos are better than a t04z with price ranges around the same? im not chasing response as much because ill be running nos for that so shoot lets see what u guys think...

I think you need to at least tell us the car and current mods, desired goal and yeah

R33 GTR series 3, forged engine tomei oilpump sump baffles cam baffles etc just want a powerhouse turbo... power chasing 380-500awkw

Edited by v8tzr

The sound of a t51r coming onto boost is worth the extra money

Any unmuffled anti-surge turbo sound more or less like that. EFR9180 would sound similar but better spool and good for that power range.

First things first, the above mentioned turbos require some serious work. Beyond 400kw atw (and from a single) you will need the following:

External fuel pump, usually 2

Surge tank

lift pump

new fuel lines front to rear

braided fittings everywhere

a $2000 intercooler not including the pipes and thats provided you find one used

an external gate work half what the turbo is

a quality manifold worth almost as much as the turbo

head porting worth more than the turbo

Lets put it in lame-mans terms, $20,000 minimum.

You could however say, 400kw atw will be enough. Strap on some 2860-5s, use stock location parts that are all off the shelf, use ONE fuel pump and the standard lines, etc etc etc, no worries at all.

However you could be a bored mining engineer and/or a dealer of some sort OR maybe someone who thinks they can strap on a turbo and hey presto!

Heres some 2860-5 love:

You will get similar power results from a T04Z, but need to ditch your standard manifolds ETC and add a fair bit of cost. But it will be sexy etc. The T04Z will be missing some spool. You could also punt unknown grounds on one of those new EFR turbos, they apparently spool fast and make bulk power given lots of boost and alcohol based fuels.

GL

^ Mines GTR runs HKS GT2530s...

The Precision turbos are the ones that don't seem to do much without using ethanol or race gas, there are some decent EFR results on pump gas - even at conservative boost levels.

also forgot to mention that for the 4 grand, ya get twin wastegates and turbo gaskets, turbo comes with V band modification.

Definatly worth looking into if i was in your position..... wait on i am heh heh