SAU Community

R33 S2

i got a 96 r33 s2 cat back exhaust manual boost controller (12psi) pod filter not too much mods stock ecu, i was driving home tonight and i went around a corner in 2nd (40kms a hr) give it some stick! then my car sound like a dirty old commodore when i accelerate sounds like its comming from the turbo, engine sounds normal but on idle the turbo sounds soo sick any ideas?

I would also say you might have popped a hose off or an intercooler pipe for that matter.

The next thing you have to ask; is it still making boost? If zero your turbo is blown. If it is still boosting but it sounds rooted, try find that air leak.. If not you might want to do a compression test.

My first car underwent a "rexy conversion" under the same sort of circumstances, was thrashing its guts out and it suddenly sounded awesome! But had no power.. Compression test revealed I had blown the gasket between cyl 3 and 4.

GL

i had a similar problem with my 96 s2, it would accelerate fine if i was pussy footing it, but as soon as it was punished the engine basically started so sound like a chainsaw made by holden, ended up being the coilpacks breaking down. and that was after i was told by 3 96 s2 owners that it had happened to them. if u want to get some splitfire coilpacks try cj-motors. he sells them on the internet for $575. brrand new.

Need to know more info on the noise. However at a guess it's the same problem 99% of Skylines suffer - missfiring.

15-20 year old coilpacks and some times incorrectly chosen spark plugs will cause miss firing. Especially on a cold night.

Err...turbo shouldn't be doing anything on idle?

It could be coilpacks...if one goes on you, your car will drive like a bag of shit and vibrate while accelerating but feel not as bad when cruising and totally fine when backing off accelerator.

thanks for the help guys! ended up being my exhaust manifold gasket and a turbo gasket that was stuffed! so its in the exhaust shop atm getting those 2 gaskets done and while he has it apart he is changing the stock front / dump pipe to a 3in.