SAU Community

The Gravel Rally Thread

Thread Revival

What's everyone been up to so far this year on the dirt?

I just completed my first event for the year at the Amsag Sunny Corner Rally.

I managed to get 1st Outright which is my first win. The car performed flawlessly all day, Even when sweeping the roads in the morning i was surprised how well the car stuck to the road. It was a fair bit rougher this year from all the rain but stages 3 and 6 were the highlight, they were fast smooth and flowing which suited the Silvia perfectly.

Couple of photos thanks to Geoff Benson.

post-54017-0-78848800-1335151548_thumb.jpg

post-54017-0-71796100-1335151553_thumb.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done on the win. Looks like you dominated all the stages

No rallies for me - just a few khanaX and autoX. Usually pick up top ten, with 2nd in class (always make some stupid mistake and lose time).

Have managed to beat a few 4WD in each event though.

Am giving some ocnsideration to doing border ranges later this year, but need to get a lot of stuff organised before then.

Am giving some ocnsideration to doing border ranges later this year.

Border Ranges is on my "to do" list, always gets a good wrap from Qld competitors.

Rally Q is coming up fast too Warps, are you in? Allcomers entry is far from cheap though...

Nah def not doing ROQ - too fancy for me. Besides, at present the chances of registering my car are almost nil due to stupid QLD rego laws (I can probably get away with a dodgy backdoor rego, but that's not my bag, baby). Do you need to have a fire bomb for that event?

At least at Border Ranges I may be able to get a NSW UVP for the event (again QLD won't let you run rallies on UVP's)

I did Border ranges a few years ago in the RX2 and it's a great event. Many rave about the high speed long straights (hitting the limiter in 5th for a lot of cars) but that sh!t scares me. Give me the tight twisty stuff any day. Besides, my 120kW Honda is hardly going to mount a challenge to anything on those straight bits.

The car is all but ready for a full rally (just need to install a light bar and the 4 Light Force 170's on the shelf and it'll be right to go). Oh, and sort out some kind of rego

Some in car from Stage 1

Little moment we had just after lunch, just got caught out a little early on in the stage when i was supposed to be taking it a little easier to just hold the lead i had.

Thanks, Yeh it really is starting to work well now, its nice to finish an event and not have a huge list of things you want to change or try differently.

As per your request here is stage 2.

• 1 month later...

Hellyer Rally was on weekend just been. didnt end well for us unfortunatly...

Never a happy ending, Fair amount of panel work required there. Always good when a cage does its job though.

A Subaru went lid-down at a club rally this weekend at Hirstglen too.

Have you got any in-car?

That sucks, what happened?

We just ran the Amsag Forbes Shire Rally last weekend, went really well for us bagging another win in the Silvia, have only put up some incar of a spin we had after lunch but will put some more up soon, apart from that it was a good event for us. The roads were dam fast and smooth even after the rain they had during the week. We only had 1 stage cancelled due to rain but it was a shame as it is 40km through the Back Yamma forest and it was awesome last year.

post-54017-0-92276900-1340863122_thumb.jpg

post-54017-0-28635000-1340863133_thumb.jpg

post-54017-0-16727500-1340863153_thumb.jpg

Got a new incar camera too, the old one did alright for just an Aldi camera but it was time to get something a bit better. I am now using a GoPro HD2 with skeleton case, i am pretty impressed with the quality of the footage and the sound is heaps better as well.

This is Stage 6 of the rally, was a stage with a bit of everything and not so much of the long straights.

Bit of footage from 1 of the spectator points on the first stage.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say there is only one thing that beats hearing the sound of a BDA blasting by. That is to do an event in a BDA :). The tingles/vibrations and rate of rise/fall in rpm are difficult to convey in words - the sensations have to be felt.

What are the stages like? Open and fast shire roads?

I can only imagine, maybe one day ill get a chance to take one for a spin.

It did have some variety but it was mostly the fast open shire roads, unfortunately the stages that got cancelled were the ones that went into the forest and last year were a good mix of everything and less of the long straights.