SAU Community

Intercooler Pressure Drop Test

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go when I service my car in the coming week. Going to do a compression test at the same time.

Although... I don't understand how you have done it. Surely all you need is to remove the intake pipe to the turbo. Block the turbo inlet with PVC end pipe, and pump air into there? So everything works exactly how it would if the car was running?

The problem with only blocking the inlet of the turbo will cause the air to go back out of the blow off valve.

another way would be to block it at the turbo then block it on a rubber joiner before the cast aluminum 90 deg bend that runs to the throttle body. which will stop the waste gate from leaking back to after the AFM.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with only blocking the inlet of the turbo will cause the air to go back out of the blow off valve.

another way would be to block it at the turbo then block it on a rubber joiner before the cast aluminum 90 deg bend that runs to the throttle body. which will stop the waste gate from leaking back to after the AFM.

So just block the bov? If I block anything off before the manifold, would that not exclude a large section from the test? I thought the ideal way to test it would be to leave as much connected as possible so that it tests how things would be working while the car was running...

regarding whoever said wouldnt a leak cause it to run rich, you you had the car tuned with the leak then they would obviously tune it out so this is still plausible.

Edited by Rolls

regarding whoever said wouldnt a leak cause it to run rich, you you had the car tuned with the leak then they would obviously tune it out so this is still plausible.

That's... Exactly what I said. lol :P

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, didn't see the point of starting another thread so I'll just post in here.

Did a compression test on my motor yesterday, came up with 180psi across all 6 cylinders with 1 or 2 psi difference at most. So I know thats good because they are consistent, can anyone tell me what the numbers are supposed to be??

Secondly, I did a boost leak test a well, dead quiet. So no boost leaks.

Any other ideas? I'll try getting the car on another dyno to compare, but ive had it on other dynos before and got similar results to Hyperdrives.

Edited by Hanaldo

• 3 weeks later...

I've been boost leak testing my car today, and also couldnt hear a leak, but spraying some soapy water around i found 3 seperate small leaks at places where hoses join

Yeh I've tried that.

Have you checked your cam timing? Belt stretched? Belt skipped? Vct working?

Belts are all new, they were replaced when the engine went in. VCT works fine.

• 3 years later...