SAU Community

R33 Gtr Blown White Smoke

first off i would like to say hello as i am new here.

i have a r33 gtr it is blowing white smoke under boost when i go hard on the throttle and all so black smoke but that's prob because its running rich

the car is running 16psi on safe boost and 22psi on high but i pretty much run it on 16psi all the time and that's when the car is blowing the smoke prob does it on 22psi as well never noticed tho

the black and whit smoke is not at the same time some times its black and some times its white and it is a fair bit of white smoke but just a puff and it does not keep coming out just leaves it behind me in a big cloud and when the car is at idle there is a very faint bit of white smoke coming out but you really have to look for it.

hope that makes sense. i am hoppeing its turbo seals well i dont hope just prob the best case scenario for me

the car has some mods

-cat back exhaust

- upgraded turbos

-cam gears and belt

- pod air intake

- pfc+ecu

-boost control+turbo timer

and that is it as far as i am aware

p.s i dont know if i am in the right forum sorry if i am thanks in advance.

and here is a pic of my car

post-85083-0-00108200-1305538563_thumb.jpg

post-85083-0-54778400-1305538641_thumb.jpg

yeah im thinking turbo seals.

For a decent bit of machine like this why dont you go get a compression n leakdown test that way

a) you can rule this out

b) you can be sure that the motor is in decent nick before you decide on how to deal with the turbo issue.

i wouldnt wait too long. Turbo failures on GTR's often create damage that requires a full rebuild...

thanks mate i will book it in for a compression and leakdown test and see were i am at.

what kind of engine damage i am i looking at. and if it is the turbo seals can it damage the engine in any way by driving it

thanks

Edited by harleyjkelly

im not sure exactly but it seems the GTR motors can throw the bits of a blown turbo into the intake and therefore through the motor. Hence a full rebuild cos you cant throw metal or ceramic through a motor without major damage.

just old turbo seals themselves cant cause damage but this is a sign that a turbo is on its last legs meaning you are probably very close to the above situation...pinch.gif

i'm getting the same problem, oil is coming out of the front turbo intake pipe/filter,

will be replacing them soon.

however im gonna do a compression check anyway to be safe even tho its been rebuilt around 15000km ago

• Like 1

You will always get oil build up in the inlet, the way that bits of turbo end up in the motor is that the exhaust turbine explodes, and bits go back UP the exhaust manifold, but this is only a prob with ceramic turbos. Is the white smoke only on gear changes? 22psi is a lot of boost for a stock headgasket...

thanks for the replays yeah only on gear changes and a bit of black smoke all the time when its going hard. dont know if this helps but it was tuned by crd in Sydney so it mostly runs on 16psi and 22psi when i am show off to my mates :yes: and that's how crd tuned it

do you know how much it is to upgrade the head gasket .

cheers

Head gasket upgrade is big dollars, black smoke when your having a go is to be expected with an RB, oil smoke on a gear change is weird though.. Not a mechanic by any means, but possibly damaged headgasket letting oil in some how on lift off?? Bit strange

• 2 weeks later...

had a commpresson test and a leak down test done and all was good. car seems to only blow black smoke now have not seen white for about 4 weeks. but still getting black on gear changes when going hard though rev range 5rpm and over is when it blows the black smoke. also just a nother question i change fuel filter(pain in the ass)and i had black looking fuel coming out of it.

thanks for your help

my gtr does the same thing, blowing black smoke iam good friends with freddy and huss at nismo perfomence centre here in melbourne they told me that its to be expected but more than likely the turbo seals are on the way id have this checked out i hope its not to bad, all the best

• 3 weeks later...

pretty sure the seals are shot because there is oil all in the intake system and inter cooler piping. i am going to have turbos rebuilt at the end of the year and a couple other things done as in new seals here and there and a tune just hope the turbos will be ok till then. and does anyone know is it worth geting the turbos high mounted. the reason i ask is easy access to them if i need to do something to then again(like what i the disadvantages and advantages)

thanks guys for your help so far.

• 2 weeks later...

the black smoke your see on gear changes is the moment you get out the throttle to change gear is carbon from over fueling on deceleration and is the time lag for the ecu to read the input signals and adjust the injector pulse accordingly most turbo cars do it, my GTR does it and you can see the build up on my rear bar damn white cars thought i will be up for new plugs and coil packs soon to pinch.gif

kt your right that is exactly what is happening you could not be more spot on.

[/qu

cheers mate i used to be a mechanic