SAU Community

Galileo Movement

Modern medicine is alright...it has definitely extended our average life span. But at the same time, so much of the need for modern medicine is caused by our modern lifestyles themselves. When you simplify the lifestyle, you simplify everything that goes with it. At least you would get to work outdoors lol. Modern technology hasn't really freed up our lifestyles...supposedly we're more stressed and working more hours than ever. Even if we had more free time, we'd just fill it up with shit to do.

Yeah there are animals, off the top of my head all I can think of are tortoises and whales, but on the whole...most in the animal kingdom don't live anywhere as long as we do.

Well one could make the point that our supreme physical and mental attributes are our adaptation to our environment, being Earth. I mean, other cunning animals such as lions use their cerebral thinking to catch prey and sit atop the food chain...hence they are the kings of the jungle.

but lions dont live anywhere near jungles.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there are many animals that dont live as long as we do. But maybe thats what we should be doing? I mean go back to egypt they only live till they were 30-40 on a good week. And Birds how did we adapt? Look around us everything has been changed to suit our needs and desires that is not adapting.

adapting present participle of a·dapt (Verb)

1. Make (something) suitable for a new use or purpose; modify. We never changed, we changed the enviroment.

2. Become adjusted to new conditions.

In which way, shape or form have we adapted to Earth or anything on it? We have invented things so that we can live there that isn't adapting to the condition that is create a subenviroment that suits the animal. I mean i can make a fish live in a desert by giving it a fish tank and a cooling system. But thats not the animal really adapting is it?

Edited by beemae30

Yes there are many animals that dont live as long as we do. But maybe thats what we should be doing? I mean go back to egypt they only live till they were 30-40 on a good week. And Birds how did we adapt? Look around us everything has been changed to suit our needs and desires that is not adapting.

adapting present participle of a·dapt (Verb)

1. Make (something) suitable for a new use or purpose; modify. We never changed, we changed the enviroment.

2. Become adjusted to new conditions.

In which way, shape or form have we adapted to Earth or anything on it? We have invented things so that we can live there that isn't adapting to the condition that is create a subenviroment that suits the animal. I mean i can make a fish live in a desert by giving it a fish tank and a cooling system. But thats not the animal really adapting is it?

Well, we did adapt/change to suit our environment...we didn't go inventing things and sub-environments from the start. What about the hunter-gatherer ages? If you keep in mind that our ancestors (depending which religious or scientific beliefs you subscribe to) roamed this earth thousands / millions of years ago...we did physically adapt over time to suit our environment. Not to mention we evolved from single cell organisms, and evolution is intertwined with adaptation. But whether we physically adapt ourselves or foster an environment to suit us, either is still a form of adapting. Animals would do it too if they had the brains. They dig holes in the ground to hibernate, they build nests...is that not changing the environment to suit the creature?

Looking at your definition of adapting though...it seems to have two broad definitions, the latter of which kind of supports what you said. However, the first definition does not specify if it is the creature of the environment being changed to suit the other. Could be either, and really, adaptation takes place regardless of what is being modified. And for that matter, it's not a completely one sided process either...animals adapt to other animals (predators, prey etc.) adapting, which are legitimately a part of the first animal's environment. It's all too intertwined for us to seperate it like you have. All we can say is that if a species has survived, then it has adapted.

/Darwin

In which way, shape or form have we adapted to Earth or anything on it? We have invented things so that we can live there that isn't adapting to the condition that is create a subenviroment that suits the animal.

Do you not have an immune system, or have you forgotten it exists?

Are you and everyone around you albinos, where you don't tan in exposure to UV light?

Has your body never had as a coccyx or an appendix?

We might supplement these natural features with developments from our own intelligence, but to say the human body by itself has never adapted (either in the short term with things such as the immune system or melanin, or in the long term with vestigial features) is obviously false. The fact that we're not extinct is proof enough of that.

Yes in the last 10,000 yrs we have evolved to suit our enviromental infulences. Not adapted we never radically altered ourselves knowingly to suit a situation. Tell me in the last 100 yrs of industrilisation have we adapted to any enviroment? All we do is change the enviroment to help us.

Yes in the last 10,000 yrs we have evolved to suit our enviromental infulences. Not adapted we never radically altered ourselves knowingly to suit a situation.

Now you're just shifting the goalposts. There was no timeline mentioned in your original definition for "adapt". "Adjusting to new conditions" (as per your supplied Definition 2) would include evolution.

At any rate, my immune system example still applies. You start off without an immunity to a disease, and once infected you either die or that system adapts to deal with it.

As does tanning. Europeans have only lived in Australia for approximately 225 years. The ones that came over on the First Fleet will be as pasty-white as the Poms that still live in the UK today, compared to Anglo Saxons that have lived here all their lives. Their body rapidly (compared to evolution) adjusted its skin tone to suit the local environment.

Of course if you go and then redefine "rapid" down to talking about minutes (rather than your century timeline) then I guess I'd be wrong again. :rolleyes:

Yes in the last 10,000 yrs we have evolved to suit our enviromental infulences. Not adapted we never radically altered ourselves knowingly to suit a situation. Tell me in the last 100 yrs of industrilisation have we adapted to any enviroment? All we do is change the enviroment to help us.

We do both...as I said it's not a one sided thing.

What creature do you know of that has evolved radically over 100 years? Adaptation and evolution is a very slow process, and about the quickest non-bacterial species to do it are humans, with or without our brains. Case in point, someone from 200-300 years ago would probably die from exposure to a modern day influenza virus...for us it's a week or two off work.

I recall something about white settlers spreading disease to indigenous peeps and many dying from it.

Humans sure have evolved.

As mentioned, look at the immune system, how the immune have evolved to remember the invaders, and produce antibodies to handle those said invaders the next time they attack.

Then the teeth structure of people, molars, incisors, canines indicated that people are herbivores, and we have adapted and evolved to actually be able to handle plant foods and meat as well. The length of intestines are too short relative to body length for a purely plant based diet, and too long for a purely carnivorous diet. Another fact that we actually have adapted to surroundings and food..

Yeah, thread was way too serious.

My take: Global warming is real, its been happening for millenia. We may have helped it to happen this time, but it was likely going to happen anyway just not quite as quickly maybe.

What can we do about it:

1. Panic and form Climate Change committees

2. Allow ppl like Al Gore to find a new career and make heaps of $$$$ which does nothing for any of us.

3. All go back to horses and Amish style living.

4. Have a war or stop all wars [i'm not sure which here].

5. Stop all car racing and any other unnecessary burning of fossil fuels.

6. Make all our armies, navies, and airforce stop doing pointless stuff.

7. Ban Macca's [we all know that GW started with themanyway].

8. Use renewable energy.

9. Make new taxes like Carbon ones

10. bans on all sorts of polluting things like cows farting etc

But it won't help, cos global warming/climate change is a natural thing that occurs irrespective of what anyone does.

BTW I'm an agnostic