SAU Community

Rx7 With Gtr Engine

If you want a good looking drag car it's not a bad idea, but might as well use an alloy V8 and twin turbo. :/

The entire point of an RX7 is the handling and packaging possible from the low weight and small size of the engine. :yes:

This!

Not to mention the 13B is a f**king potent motor anyhow

I think there's a few LS into RX7 conversions in the states... that makes more sense as at least your replacing the rotor with a more reliable engine... rather than replacing a motor that's prone to overheating and eating apex seals with motor that's prone to eating bearings

There's a red one in NSW that has the conversion done and races. I believe there is a kit you can buy to do the conversion

edit: Bit slow with my post on the kits

Id rather a 13B REW out of a cosmo their spose to be the muts nut but pritty rare as for putin a V8 in a import buy a SS or XR8 but i hardly call them more reliable lighter yes

there was a great motor swap i heard about: a landcruiser straight 6 in a supra; 4500cc i think.

amazing!!! didnt get to see the final results but the torque must be able to spin the earth backwards.

An idea i had was a ford xr6 turbo motor in a gtr. wonder if anyone has tried?

no-one's done that. like Ash said, pretty much anything's possible if you're willing to spend enough money; but trying to keep it AWD would require an epic, epic amount of stuffing around

The LS into RX7 conversion has a couple of drawbacks. Either the engine sits too high (raising COG and needing a bonnet bulge), or you have to mod the Xmember to lower the engine. This required modded "dropped" tie rod ends which apparently bugger up steering geometry and induce bump steer. Might be able to dry sump the engine to lower its height and alleviate these problems.

But yes, LS into anything would be a good conversion (personally I'd like an old Beemer 540i, with 520 badges and a tricked up LS6 under the bonnet.) Could have picked up a 540i for a few grand a year ago, but don't have time for such silly conversions.

[quote name=ClutchBurndout-:(' timestamp='1306461896' post='5835869]

mad mike looks like a douche burger with extra douche sauce

this

there was a great motor swap i heard about: a landcruiser straight 6 in a supra; 4500cc i think.

amazing!!! didnt get to see the final results but the torque must be able to spin the earth backwards.

An idea i had was a ford xr6 turbo motor in a gtr. wonder if anyone has tried?

To much weight me thinks... unless they are alloy

I'd be willing to bet it'd surely be heavier, but it's prolly only in the order of ~20kg

difference between a 302 Windsor and a 302 Cleveland V8 is nearly 100kgs