SAU Community

Noise in motor

bruce32

A mate of mine has a RB30 turbo the motor goes well doesnt blow smoke etc,but when the noise of the clutch fan stops you hear a noise when revving between 1500-2500 approx. a noise like a cross between big end rattle and noisy lifters,if you keep constant revs 2500 noise stays the same ,but on idle you cant hear anything ,motor sounds OK any ideas????

Does the noise stop when the car warms up, or will it do it all day? I have a similar sounding noise in my 33 but by the time I get anywhere to show anyone the car is warm and it doesn't do it anymore.

A mate of mine has a RB30 turbo the motor goes well doesnt blow smoke etc,but when the noise of the clutch fan stops you hear a noise when revving between 1500-2500 approx. a noise like a cross between big end rattle and noisy lifters,if you keep constant revs 2500 noise stays the same ,but on idle you cant hear anything ,motor sounds OK any ideas????

mine does the same as you R3AP3R, its just the hydrolic lifters

Yeah, mine's a weird problem. The noise stops and starts depending on throttle position (and even that varies). I can be maintaining say 2000 rpm in 2nd and it will make this noise, if I back off the throttle completely it may stop, or if I slightly increase throttle it may stop. Then it may stop and start at various times again depending on how I'm driving. After a few minutes (and it seems to be lasting longer over time) it will stop completely. I'm assuming this is because something has warmed up sufficiently.

I would have thought lifters would have been a constant ticking who's frequency would vary with revs, but be continual until it got warm.

It doesn't seem to cause any performance problems, it just sounds like crap and is embarrasing.

Don't mean to take over this thread, but I think we may be having similar issues.

yeah that sound something like mine

It doesn't seem to cause any performance problems, it just sounds like crap and is embarrasing.

they dont cause any performance problem for me etheir, the main reason i want to fix it is because it is embarrasing (most people dont notice though because they are rather quiet, only loud when i first start the engine when it cold)

those of you with lifter noises, have you tried a different oil?

I have a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 so I KNOW about Lifter noise.

Mine has reduced heaps when I changed to Motul 4100 TurboLight oil.

Cost = $39.95 for 5L

I bought mine from Autojoy at Burwood Westfields.

It is fully synthetic, and seems to be heaps cheaper than other synthetics I'ev seen/used.

It might be worth a try for you guys too.