The Wasteland 2011 Edition

Nightcrawler

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha our old mate Ted180 .... times like this I wish I had taken up a mod position on HardTuned when offered .... but then again, policing that bunch of rabble would be a challenge :D

all the cheap and generic and even some of the jap ones fall into this category. but not all stainless mani's are junk. Mine's made from stainless steam pipe with 3mm wall thickness complete with merge collector and its strong as hell.

no doubt the wall thickness is what's saved you so far Simon.

Unfortunately, even with that sort of thickness, it's probably only a matter of time due to the constant stress on the metal during expansion and contraction (much higher rate of growth than cast).

Another reason why exhaust housings on turbos are all cast as opposed to S/S

all the cheap and generic and even some of the jap ones fall into this category. but not all stainless mani's are junk. Mine's made from stainless steam pipe with 3mm wall thickness complete with merge collector and its strong as hell.

It doesnt matter how thick it is, or how strong it is, the stainless turbo exhaust manifold is inferior for very basic reasons.

Stainless has a different material phase diagram that makes it more prone to cracking than an equivalent high nickel content iron. When you see OE manufacturers producing turbocharged engines with 304/316 stainless manifolds then you are onto something....until then....

The only Snap On tool I want is one of those cordless impact drills. And well, they're hugely expensive.

Nah, they're shit. We've killed nearly all ours at work, batteries dont like being recharged more than a few times :/

Hilti impact drivers are the way to go :)