SAU Community

The Wasteland 2011 Edition

Nightcrawler

and yeah mate will catch up soon for an Ale. Hope you are going ok after last weeks events.

yeah mate, getting there

just waiting to get Wednesday out the way. :(

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No worries Matty, hope you like it! Nice to meet you too mate - happy to help out one of the SAU community. :D

Carbon wrap king, im gonna need you to do a few bits for me! :)

There is no dyno debate, there are actually very simple explanations for the power difference.

When run in Shootout Mode (6F is recommened for the Falcon) the Dyno Dynamics - ADDS - power to the rear wheel reading to compensate for what it considers to be acceptable driveline loss. In othere words there is a bit of software in the dyno program that says 'Ok this is a forced induction six cylinder so it must have a gearbox that takes this much energy to turn, wheels this big, and a driveline that weighs this much....so lets multiply the rear wheel power by a correction factory as we put it on the screen' to give a nice figure

Mainline actually shows you the power - and torque - you ARE HITTING THE ROAD WITH

The rear wheel kilowatt figure is what you have accelerating you down the strip

The rear wheel torque figure (which is multiplied by the gear/diff ratio) is also what is accelerating you down the strip, hence you accelerate faster in third gear than fourth gear (more torque multiplication)

There is no manipulation of the figures to present them in a more readable or acceptable format. Raw data is the Mainlines strength

All the dynos that you state read close to each other are all applying the some artificial power reading correction to the figures, hence the warm fuzzy feel good factor for the laminate racers and the equally head scratching track times. Hope that makes sense :)

yep, makes perfect sense.

With that in mind then, there is obviously still a place for DD but only as a tuning tool..........so when guys spit out their laminates off a DD, in most cases the number is merely a guide (or wank factor in Ford's case)

At the end of the day, your trap speed on a good 1/4 mile run will always determine true HP, so if a mainline can emulate that, it goes a long way in determining the approx ET your ride is capable of

spot on sled it seems the mainline is showing ACTUAL figures and thats what we would be after so u would have a fair guide of what its going to run at the strip obviously i will be going to willall b4 i go to the strip after next round of mods to see what the gains were at least i got a baseline to see the differance now.

so whens everybody gunna sell there d/d and get a mainline :domokun:

nobody's intrested in dyno numbers we all want 1/4 mile times.

martin is there anyway a d/d can be set up to run actual figures like a mainline none of this multiplication crap and ajustments?

nobody's intrested in dyno numbers we all want 1/4 mile times.

Good luck in trying to get that when we don't even have a functioning drag strip in Adelaide

heathcote is only 7hrs away easy peasy some of the sau members should come over next time a flock of us s.a boys head over will be befefore christmas last time we went we had a r33 in the convoy anyones welcome were all in it for the same cause we all love fast cars and sometimes ya need to back it up with a little slip :thumbsup:

Hmmm, sounds like a bit of a plan Jet.

Lot of guys on here are into drag racing (including our own SA Mod Matt "whatshisname") so a group trip over there could be on the cards if there's enough interest.

All the dynos that you state read close to each other are all applying the some artificial power reading correction to the figures, hence the warm fuzzy feel good factor for the laminate racers and the equally head scratching track times. Hope that makes sense :)

Thats strange because my skyline has made 349 on your Mainline dyno and 350 on a number of DD's.

That would have been 18-24 months ago now, has any calibrations changed since then?

Like everyone has stated its only a number i just thought i would ask the question.

martin is there anyway a d/d can be set up to run actual figures like a mainline none of this multiplication crap and ajustments?

AFAIk Martin was talking about the shootout modes that are used on dyno days. the F4, F6 and F8 (for forced induction). These are the ones that have the extra correction factors so the 4's 6's and 8's account for their differing sized trans's. In tuning mode (not sure of actual mode name) it'll show the wheel power with the only correction being the weather based ones which you enter by hand on a DD dyno and on a mainline they have a built in weather station.

After we finished tuning my car one day Jeff showed me the different modes and the effect that ramp rate had on the power. With the DD's there is also a main fudge factor as well can be set to anything that you like, when my car went on to Turbo Tunes dyno it had picked up around 50kw one day. Another workshop had borrowed their dyno as TT's was a 4WD dyno and they had set the main correction to 1.25 and forgot to change it back when they finished, so when my car went on the dyno i was making 25% more power than before.

Edited by D_Stirls

Hmmm, sounds like a bit of a plan Jet.

Lot of guys on here are into drag racing (including our own SA Mod Matt "whatshisname") so a group trip over there could be on the cards if there's enough interest.

especially now k.p.m have a shead over there and its up for grabs anytime someones over there and its for free they even let u camp in there if ya want although ben-day-go is 15 away and the caravan parks fit us in with all the cars

Shootout mode is the only DD mode that corrects for drivetrain inertia (makes the numbers higher) and was done to keep the readings consistent for dyno competitions for Horsepower Heroes at Summernats etc. - or thats what DD told me back in the day when we had one. You can easily run the DD dyno outside of Shootout mode where it doesnt have drivetrain inertia correction as well. Hope that helps :)

just got back from a week in melb to visit the sister in law and her new b/f got a invite up to his house for dinner and we start talking cars and he invited me out to his garage i spotted a couple of Mercedes one was a amg model of some sort and i thought nice collection of cars .

he then ask me to help him lift a car cover off another car and i nearly come in my pants as a 355 Ferrari come to light farken awsome we went for a spirited drive for about a hr all i can say is 0 to 260 comes up bloody quick . ive never been in a car that goes as hard and stops even quicker stays dead flat during corners .

could not score a drive tho but was happy to be passanger for a while i hope her sister hangs onto this bloke for a while lol.

cheers dean

yep thats the skittle mad as DUNOLLY stiil makes me larf :rofl2:

the way dingo was talking he might have a blown taxi of sorts to run at calder hes talking 10's would love to be apart of that man camp :merli: