The Wasteland 2011 Edition

Nightcrawler

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure about the statement "no one is interested in drag racing".... I bet if we had a proper drag strip, it would be chockas every Frid night.

As far as 1/8 mile goes, I don't mind it but it hasn't got anywhere near the interest of a 1/4 mile strip.

For 1/8 mile, you don't necessarily need huge power, just good a Holeshot and 2 gears............1/4 mile however needs a good launch and some top end power with all gears being used for the best result

If we show too much enthusiasm for 1/8 mile, the Rann Govt will turn around and say, "you've got your drag strip, so why do you need another if this one seems to be appealing enough to the public"

Give me the World Standard anyday.....1/4 Mile FTW!!!

Yeah I agree totally Pete. I can't see how 1,000 people rocking up at 1/8th mile would prove anything positive - like you said Rann would probably use it as ammo that we don't need to to build a new track, as we have TB already. Plus - go all that way for 8 seconds of entertainment and not even get a 0-100m time, let alone world standard comparable 1/4 time - fahggeddaboudit. At least with a 1/4 mile and trap speed time you can use it to real world evaluate the performance of your car.

bring on weatherill or redmond. rann wont budge

Doubt labor are going to budge for a long while. while they have turbo tom their stance is hypocritical at best, tragic at worst

redmond seems open to the ideas at the very least, whether she flips if elected remains to be seen.

-D

so, whos coming to check out lala matsuri tomorrow?

come say hi and ill take you for a ride! plenty of track time for it!

if i kill you, not my problem.......just so you know.

the aim is to get more people thru the gates and seeing the sport first hand, lowering entry is an awesome move i say!!!

now they just need to sort the food pricing out ffs

so, whos coming to check out lala matsuri tomorrow?

come say hi and ill take you for a ride! plenty of track time for it!

if i kill you, not my problem.......just so you know.

I'll be there, I expect a ride too mister :P

haha very good damo

and yeh next dyno day cara ill be there but i want to see some more stickers on ya car tho :nyaanyaa:

yeah yeah yeah get off my case about it :P:nyaanyaa:

As far as 1/8 mile goes, I don't mind it but it hasn't got anywhere near the interest of a 1/4 mile strip.

this is quite an inncorrect statement to make here Pete, 1/8th mile is now becoming quite popular, especially with the regional tracks. the atmosphere is alot different to the bigger tracks, and a lot more drivers are now coming to the regional tracks to either test, or compete with their cars. like i said the Doorslammers have their own competitive meetings, the closest to us being Mildura and Portland.

Gary Busch had a supercharged Pontiac funny car which has the track record at mildura (just recent at the last meeting for the season, where he ran a 4.01 @ 181 mph), and portland which i think may also be a 4.01. the big boys are now certaintly taking note of these really good regional tracks and are attending the events.

whyalla for example cannot hold doorslammers just yet as there barriers are not the right height for it (unlike mildura and portland), but has had pro stcok there for their first meeting last december.

I can't see how 1,000 people rocking up at 1/8th mile

it shows support. which is positive, which is currently more than what a lot of people are doing right now. i seriously recommend you go to a 1/8th mile track such as whyalla, mildura or portland and see the support that these tracks get.

the doorslammer meetings have been known to get up to 5000 people. its amazing it really is. :cheers:

so please dont bag it - either go and try it or go watch at least! :thanks:

I'll be out at the matsuri tomorrow. Might have to throw the helmet in the car just in case I grow some balls and find someone to scare me.

this is quite an inncorrect statement to make here Pete, 1/8th mile is now becoming quite popular, especially with the regional tracks. the atmosphere is alot different to the bigger tracks, and a lot more drivers are now coming to the regional tracks to either test, or compete with their cars. like i said the Doorslammers have their own competitive meetings, the closest to us being Mildura and Portland.

Gary Busch had a supercharged Pontiac funny car which has the track record at mildura (just recent at the last meeting for the season, where he ran a 4.01 @ 181 mph), and portland which i think may also be a 4.01. the big boys are now certaintly taking note of these really good regional tracks and are attending the events.

whyalla for example cannot hold doorslammers just yet as there barriers are not the right height for it (unlike mildura and portland), but has had pro stcok there for their first meeting last december.

so please dont bag it - either go and try it or go watch at least! :thanks:

You're right Cara....I reckon 1/8 mile definitely has a place in regional areas which is def alot easier to accommodate.

Having said that, 1/4 mile is what the majority of old school drag racers want in the major cities.......attendance proves that.

You're right Cara....I reckon 1/8 mile definitely has a place in regional areas which is def alot easier to accommodate.

Having said that, 1/4 mile is what the majority of old school drag racers want in the major cities.......attendance proves that.

Pete alot of the old school drag racers are bringing their cars out (or new ones) and racing 1/8th mile.......Mark Lee is one in particular. he was former australian super sedan champion, winning many gold trees. bradley hicks, bruce mchendrie, bill crosier, simon barlow, darren kellaway, angleo efthimiou, toni keating...... these are all "old school" racers that have raced at AIR, plus other 1/4 mile tracks that are now supporting 1/8th mile in south australia and victoria.

the advantages of 1/8th mile over 1/4 mile racing are the following:

its more exciting racing as there is no recovery time if a mistake is made, which generally makes the results closer.

there are very few, if any, oil downs. (non stop action basically)

the cost of running 1/8th mile is alot cheaper than 1/4mile, for example, for Gary Busch to race at willowbank it would cost him $20,000 compared to $2000 for 1/8th mile at mildura.

Well Matsuri was fantastic! MASSIVE thanks to Simon and Craig who took me for some laps. Simon, you're un-f**king-beleivable and Craig, you're a f**king champ! So sorry when I saw your car damaged but atleast it was nothing too serious. Here's hoping they hold another one soon!!!!