SAU Community

What Car To Buy For Wife, Any Advise Appreciated

I wasn't actually suggesting a Subaru diesel, no, they don't have an auto option and they're not particularly impressive to drive.

I drove a current Mazda 6 TD as a fast course car in a tarmac rally recently and was very impressed by it. It was mildly laggy, but the torque was impressive as was the handling and brakes.

But I maintain that the japanese vehicles are more reliable, a fact bourne by plenty of friends and acquantances who are car mechanics and warn everyone off the Euros. I also know folks who own them, and they all say you wouldn't consider retaining them post warranty.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Euros are born equal... I haven't had a single problem with my BMW and have had it for a while. It's heading onto 5 years old now. But it's not a diesel.

Mates with VWs and Audis (and my Uncle that runs a fleet) had problems not with the fact they are diesel but just general maintenance (electrics, gearboxes, fit and finish, turbo guzzling oil, another - just one though - blew its turbo!).

was talking to a guy with an 07 audi the other day as he filled it with oil at the servo, says it uses at least a litre a week.. Although i think the premature wear of newer diesels is often to do with the way they are driven like petrols..

Guy at work with a bt50 nearly 400k on the clock not a problem even on original clutch still. Only problem he had was because he didnt change timing belt at 120k, it got to nearly 200k befor it snapped.. So they are definately reliable, admittedly they are a bit ruff and unrefined , noisey like a tractor. But lag can be mostly tuned out with an aftermarket ecu or pgiiyback system

The new Tiguan TDI (not too big) with DSG is epic but you might struggle to find one second hand yet (and they are about $45K new).

Still - the older auto versions would be worth a look too.

I love my Diesel Treg. VW def do fantastic diesel cars.

My missus drives a VW Toureg V6 TDi, fantastic car. Does everything you'd want, not too big, certainly nimble (actually quite pokey) and gets almost 1000kms to the tank!

I liked it so much I sold my Audi RS4 and bought the R50 V10. Absolute beast and better allround car than the Audi, it goes solo like a sports car (almost) and tows like no other!!

2 votes for VW in my household......

My missus drives a VW Toureg V6 TDi, fantastic car. Does everything you'd want, not too big, certainly nimble (actually quite pokey) and gets almost 1000kms to the tank!

I liked it so much I sold my Audi RS4 and bought the R50 V10. Absolute beast and better allround car than the Audi, it goes solo like a sports car (almost) and tows like no other!!

2 votes for VW in my household......

Yeah I love my R50 too mate - how good are they!! :)

It's sure beats the Hummer hey! LOL

yeah but how much is it.. The money you all brag about saving in fuel is spent on the intial purchase cost so the only really advantage is you dont have to stop for fuel as often..OP really should of put a priceframe.

on another note you can get a brand new Nissan navara 3lt diesel dual cab 2x4 for just over 30k. Who cares how fast it is , its built like a truck :laugh:

yeah but once you have 3 kids u may as well give up on owning performance unless you got heaps of cash to splash your only real choice is a truck or a van because room is now a higher priority than performance..

Ok you can fit 3 kids in a sedan but its squishy and you will need a trailer to carry all their shit when you go on holidays. Just face facts mate you need something with seven seats cause 3 kids stuck in the back of a car get irritable very quick.. So i suggest a 4wd of some sort or a kia carnival sorry t say

i just looked in the back of an i30 too and you aint fitting 3 kids in their happily :no:

id also like to change my mondeo vote to the Captiva because

1.screw bending over to do up all those babyseats

2. i'm not another VW fanboy :D

ford are about to relesae a diesel territory as well but Its ugly