SAU Community

Lewis Engine 2.2 Stroker Rb20

Hi all, I am contenplating buying the RB20 2.2 stroker engine from Lewis Engines at the end of the year instead of freshining up my rb20 as planned.

Before I get the usual oh just buy a 25, I really cbf doing that and since a 25 would be unknown condition plus i would have to change turbo's etc its not worth it when I can have a fully built motor with only .25 cc difference, not to mention technially its still a rb20 so its 'legal'.

I just wanna get some opinions, mainly is it worth doing, compared to spending less then half the $$$ and just doing a freshen up on bearings and stuff. Another option is there race ported head which is 1.1k. I have no problems with my current motor except noisy lifters on startup which isnt a big deal to pull them apart and clean, so with new bearings and a clean it should last another 100,000km easy.

I'm currently running 219rwkw with a std rb20, just the usual bolt ons and have yet to have it retuned with cam gears, so i would assume 225-230rwkw is achievable with my current setup and a retune.

With the 2.2 I would expect atleast 240rwkw, depends if my current gcg turbo is capable, unsure of exact specs of it. I would also assume the response would be alot better and more low down torque.

Either way I wanna pull the motor out and freshen up the engine bay, so just have to decide what to do engine wise.

Cheers.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1

Why not weigh up the pro's and cons of going for each setup?

I.e. RB30DET vs RB25DET vs RB22DET

You'd be surprised- I have a mate with a legally registered R32 with an RB25 which is not engineered. Thats in SA tho...

I would love to go a 30 or 25 but 5k is about as much as i wanna spend. Can do a 25 for that easy but I would have to change to much stuff, theres the gearbox and wiring issues, not to mention driveshaft shortened, new turbo, injectors etc etc, I really cbf as atleast with a 2.2 I can reuse all my current gear, worst case is bigger turbo.

Same with a 25/30, 5k just for the block is pretty expensive, will end up been a 10k setup, not really worth it as once again the gearbox will be an issue.

I like the idea of a 2.2 because of price and its a straight forwared job with the bonus of it then been a 2.2 and a fully rebuilt motor. As you can tell i really cbf with modding mounts and wiring, I'd prefer to keep the lid on the can of worms.

The way I see it the 2.2 is a good compromise, but after seeing alot of wrecker 20's running big power for years it makes me wonder if you really need to spend that much when a $500 engine will prob do, or in my case re use my engine and just do new bearings and a clean.

Ben Would need an 80mm Bore with the RB25 crank to get 2162cc

Using standard Bore (78mm) + 25 crank is 2056cc

custom pistons needed either way to stop the slugs sticking out the top of the bores

80mm bore with 26 crank is 2223cc

im running one... to be honest its up to you about the money, no one can really help you with that but if i wasnt tracking my car i wouldnt spend the coin on an rb22

what I can say is the quality and service is good and i have been hammering mine for 2 years 12 months of over 400hp with a few mishaps like laps with cracked rad etc and its held up ... mine was built loose though and breathes but came with custom catch can drain to custom sump setup

the head gets ported and polished too which i think adds a major benefit compared to standard rb20 as the two resitictions are the small cc and non flowing head

Is there a noticable amount of torque and response compared to a normal 20?

Another option is there race ported head. Could just slap that on and see how she goes, might help with mid-top end power.

Theres no point in looking at other cranks as I might as well just buy the 2.2 motor as it already has that, atleast that motor will have some sort of warranty incase of a failure.

yeah got head flow report thingo somewhere flowed something like 90% of rb25 head or something

torque wise direct comparison i cant tell you because i changed the turbo at the same time i put this engine in but with similar setup on rb20 on dyno graph you could see the difference, basically it will be smack bang in the middle of rb20 vs rb25 with same setup by the looks

other than forged pistons / rings 25 crank and 26 rods off top of my head .. get the head work... new HD springs, metal head gasket, adj cams gears, crank collar, restrictors in head and head drain from rear and i got custom sump takes extra 1+ litre with drain back etc

yes..its still is an rb20 with a bit extra but it just suited me at the time for my situation and was a brand new engine

just be honest with your goals in the future and see if this engine will match them and that will go along way to answering your question i think...

Edited by bcozican

http://www.lewisengines.com.au/category9_1.htm

Prob should have added the link.

It comes with ported head, rb26 rods. Pretty much a bolt in option which is why i like the idea so much.

Only other option is if i got just the head and put it on the 2.0 block. Even then the whole motor package is good value as it might cost around 2.5-3k to get the std motor done with ported head, std bearings and balance etc. So an extra 2k is pretty good for forgies and stroked to 2.2.

That engine just comes as a box full of parts. still needs assembling/balancing etc.

I would also be weary of how thin the liners get on the 2.2/2.4L RB20

That engine just comes as a box full of parts. still needs assembling/balancing etc.

I would also be weary of how thin the liners get on the 2.2/2.4L RB20

mine came build balanced and blueprinted straight drop in *shrugs*

but just had a look and you get custom cams now where i put in my HKS ones so maybe same same valueish ?

Edited by bcozican

The idea of a 500 wrecker motor i read above, best solution.

2.2 is a lot of money considering what you get if you are after a rebuild etc. Look at the TD06 / RB20 guys making a nice 250-260 on stock motors, would be the economic choice as the 20, even 2.2... won't have 'that' much more down low etc.

As stated also the major issue is the head when it flows around 30% less than a 25 head from most info posted.