SAU Community

June Photo Thread

GoldZilla

Thanks for the comments guys!!!

I was trying to get a nice low shutter speed and try and keep the front or rear sharp a it entered/left the scene....

These are a couple more of what i was trying to do...

5712825473_623e0d8f09_z.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg by Joshua Fitt, on Flickr

5712851463_7f0fb7825d_z.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg by Joshua Fitt, on Flickr

Thoughts on this technique or is it better with the whole car sharp....?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly awesome car mate! Secondly like Josh said try a low ISO like 100 or 200

(also f/18 wouldn't be very sharp either would it? could you open it up a little and still get the DoF you need?)

Thanks Zennon. :) Will keep all the great feedback given here in mind for next time.

Interesting stuff, the rig work. Bet it keeps a lot of people guessing!

Josh, i have mixed feelings about your technique with your last 2 photos, the top one i really like but the bottom one i find it hard to look at.

that just could be me and my eyes though.

personally i like your idea but yeah i think it is a hit or miss with each photo.

Thanks for the comments guys!!!

I was trying to get a nice low shutter speed and try and keep the front or rear sharp a it entered/left the scene....

These are a couple more of what i was trying to do...

5712825473_623e0d8f09_z.jpg

Thoughts on this technique or is it better with the whole car sharp....?

That technique can work very well but needs to be done in the right place with the right backgound/foreground and for it to be effective needs to be done at a very low shutter speed. The front of the car is the most importaint thing to keep sharp

heres some of mine from previous events:

1/40TH

p641824128-4.jpg

1/30TH

p929828562-4.jpg

1/30TH

p338584189-4.jpg

1/40TH

p742858347-4.jpg

That technique can work very well but needs to be done in the right place with the right backgound/foreground and for it to be effective needs to be done at a very low shutter speed. The front of the car is the most importaint thing to keep sharp

heres some of mine from previous events:

1/40TH

p641824128-4.jpg

1/30TH

p929828562-4.jpg

1/30TH

p338584189-4.jpg

1/40TH

p742858347-4.jpg

Thanks for that and everyone's advice so far - been so helpful! I guess there is a right place and time for everything! Need to get out and shoot some more action!! Tried some really low shutter speeds a few weeks back to see what would happen - came out with these...

5645769267_d9a654612c_z.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg by Joshua Fitt, on Flickr

5646338148_e4b81779e1_z.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg by Joshua Fitt, on Flickr

On this one i went a little to low in the shutter but it was good see how low you can really go while still trying to keep the front sharp. By no means great pictures but it's just experimentation with shutter on the side of the road...Cant wait to try this when i get back home (in Europe for another 4 months) How are you getting your shutter speeds down track side? In my first pictures i put up i tried to use a polarizer to cut out some light and it seemed okay - is this the right thing to be doing?

Lastly sorry i ask a lot of questions!!!! Are you post editing the angle into your shots or are you actually panning like that?

To really make these shots work you need 2 things.

1)_ The closest part of the car to be razor sharp.

2) It needs to look 100% delibrate.

See, that first shot of the statesman, it's almost sharp enough, but it just looks like a blurry snap shot.

the second shot... you've got the zebra crossing and lines to help give the shot some context and direction as to what the shot is about, but the car is just too blurry. the front needs to be sharp. and not just a headlight, get the whole front happening.

If you can bring those two elements together in the shot it will be full of WIN. Serg makes it looks easier than it is because he's a smart arse with his gear ;) Practice makes perfect they say ;)

For the record, the lens I use for all this stuff does not have IS, would be really handy for these shots if it did...

On overcast days it’s easy to get them down that low as there isn’t too much light to begin with, on sunny days a polarizer does the job, I like using one a lot of the time as it removes reflections on the windows and lets you see the driver and inside the car. Lowest ISO possible as well, for me its ISO 50

As far as angles, yes, I pan on those angles when I want to, I almost never rotate shots in software.

When dealing with over 1000 shots from a race meet its best to get as much done in camera then to slowly deal with it later in software...

Good tips here and killing it Serg. I don't like 1 or 2 because of the extreme angles, but i know how you feel when you want to change it up especially when you shoot events that often, purely straight or a slight angle gets boring fast. I like the creativity :)

Some From Circuit Clubs Trackday on monday. FYI, these were shot at 1/30th (mostly).

More to come on TLD!

5833067068_f7f87093e5_b.jpg

5832514893_e726513e6f_b.jpg

5832515165_5ca534ce7e_b.jpg

5832514573_721324c6c4_b.jpg

5832515391_16870e470c_b.jpg

Thanks for that and everyone's advice so far - been so helpful! I guess there is a right place and time for everything! Need to get out and shoot some more action!! Tried some really low shutter speeds a few weeks back to see what would happen - came out with these...

should have posted this one, is nice...

5645770795_c3495a0844_z.jpg

should have posted this one, is nice...

5645770795_c3495a0844_z.jpg

Haha i forgot about that one!!! My bad! Well thanks to you it now is :)

Thanks for the comments thus far - these are only "snapshots" and they were all they were ever intended to be. I try and practice when ever i can and these last three have been while my girlfriend has been in the toilet haha. Always a chance to practice!!!

Loving this thread by the way!

F*cking Lol.

Keep feeding her that green curry buddy ;)

Serg - That Porsche shot is rad at 1/30th anything turns out sick! Wakey needs some colourful backgrounds or something! Seriously, tracks everywhere besides NSW are so much better :(