SAU Community

Shimmed Diff Now Diff Clunks?

TJR32GTS-T

Hey guys,

Today we put thicker thrust washers in my diff and the wheels lock fine like I wanted, but when taking corners slow the diff clunks extremely loud. The wheels chirp which is what I expected but this clunk is unreal.

Is this normal?

Cheers in advance - Trent

ahaha yep it sounds pretty bad until you get used to it! And every camry driver in the carpark will think you are evil incarnate.

What you are describing is perfectly normal with a tight diff

Yeah all the reading I did on diff shimming didn't describe any excessive clunking, like I said it feels like the tailshaft clunking back and forth.

Ive got a welded diff but there no clunks and that, it just skips and chirps esspacially when reversing on full lock.

The noise is the friction plates in the diff moving relative to each other. They clunk becuase they are tight (probably overly so in this case). The plates "unstick", move a little then stop again - hence the clunk which finds its way up the drive train. It can be a pretty aggressive thing.

A welded diff doesnt have anything to move so all you get is tyre noise.

Edited by djr81

yeah clunk like that is pretty common in clutch pack LSDs. not sure on a shimmed viscous though? but with a proper LSD it's what drj82 described and it can be so bad it feels like the rear subframe is about to fall out. just one of the joys of having a tight mech LSd (and apparently a tight viscous too it seems).

yeah clunk like that is pretty common in clutch pack LSDs. not sure on a shimmed viscous though? but with a proper LSD it's what drj82 described and it can be so bad it feels like the rear subframe is about to fall out. just one of the joys of having a tight mech LSd (and apparently a tight viscous too it seems).

Sorry I wasnt paying attention & didnt realise we were talking viscous LSD's. If the thing is clunking that is pretty bad news & I would be rechecking clearances ASAP. The whole point of running viscous liquids is you dont get static friction "stiction" in the operation hence no clunking.

If only there was an antonym for thixotropic the world would be a better place.

If you actually read the threads properly, particularly my posts.. I said that when I first put 2x1.49 shims in it was TIGHT AS FK and was essentially acting like my 2-way in the Skyline. After a couple of weeks it had worn in to the point that I didn't notice it anymore, except on full lock reversing out of a parking space. Couple more weeks and it wasn't carrying at all but still lit both wheels very predictably.

Yep I have read the diff shimming thread bubba cheers, it appears that the clunking is getting less frequent. Is there any chance I have a clutch pack LSD? Or is it more than likely I've f**ked up somewhere? Thanks for all your input guys

Cheers - Trent