SAU Community

Recent Exhaust Job

Hey guys,

Recently had a 3 inch turbo back done, just wondering my car has been changing gears much higher rev's then normal (auto) also according to my boost gauge im running a little higher in psi.. is this normal?

And this being the start of my very first mods just wondering when is the right time for a decent tune ive only done the turbo back and apexi cai?? Next is fmic and boost controller

Also idle been slightly lower aswell

Edited by nismo07

when would be a good time for a tune? In terms of mods

I would get a ECU upgrade + tune around the same time you have done all the basic bolt on power mods which are: turbo back exhaust, intake, FMIC & boost controller with upped boost.

& you can't tune the stock R33 ECU. You will need aftermarket one or at least a piggy back interceptor unit like SAFC.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

I would get a ECU upgrade + tune around the same time you have done all the basic bolt on power mods which are: turbo back exhaust, intake, FMIC & boost controller with upped boost.

& you can't tune the stock R33 ECU. You will need aftermarket one or at least a piggy back interceptor unit like SAFC.

x2

Except you can get standard ecu remapped, there is Toshi on this site who does it either through custom mail order, or if you are in sydney, he can tune it on the road or dyno. Check his thread out. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/298912-cheapest-r33-ecu-remap-only-400-also-r32-r34-and-silvia/page__hl__toshi

And a fair bit cheaper.

Depends how you look at it. He charges $600 to install a daughter-board and write up a basic tune for it. Then he recommends that you go and put it on the dyno to check that it's safe. So probably $100-$200 dyno time. So it would probably cost you ~$700-$800 by the time you get it on the road. Most workshops will install and tune a Nistune board for ~$900, and then it's a proper tune setup for your car specifically, not just generically. Personally, I would rather pay that extra little bit to get a proper tune done.

Depends how you look at it. He charges $600 to install a daughter-board and write up a basic tune for it. Then he recommends that you go and put it on the dyno to check that it's safe. So probably $100-$200 dyno time. So it would probably cost you ~$700-$800 by the time you get it on the road. Most workshops will install and tune a Nistune board for ~$900, and then it's a proper tune setup for your car specifically, not just generically. Personally, I would rather pay that extra little bit to get a proper tune done.

true that, a fully suited tune is best option. But im pretty sure with the 33 you have to buy a Z32 ecu on top of that, could be wrong though.

true that, a fully suited tune is best option. But im pretty sure with the 33 you have to buy a Z32 ecu on top of that, could be wrong though.

Peanuts.

I got my nistune for $410 installed. Then what ever it cost for dyno time on top. But like Krab said above, once you've got a boost controller and a fmic on your car then i would definitly get a tuneable computer. And from my experience and talking to a few others i would highly recommend Nistune, there are plenty of people getting big power out of them and because the daughter board attatches to you main ecu inside the ecu housing as far as anyone can see your still running a stcok ecu. And i doubt that many people would be able to tell even if they opened up the ecu. Unlike some other options where there is a big brand name stamped on the outside. All depends on what state your in. Ideally you'll want the tuneable ecu sooner rather then later. It'll let you get the most out of your setup as efficently as possible. Hope this helps.

R33 mail order remap is $400 for std turbo.

Group buy is $350.

Normally R33 with Z32 ecu cost around $1300-1500 in Sydney.

One other (possible) issue I'm seeing with ECU selection is that the OP's car is an auto (like mine), from reading some old threads not many aftermarket ECUs works properly with auto Skylines.

Something to do with that the stock ECU backs off timing when the auto box changes gears, however this feather is not available on any of the aftermarket stand along ECU (as far as I know), so you will get very harsh changes if you remove the stock ECU.

Not sure how it is now, as I said my understanding is pretty dated...

I know that PFC doesn't properly work with auto skylines, does Nistune work 'properly' with autos?

Last time I talked to Andrew from Hyper drive (few years back), he reckons other than converting to manual if I wanted to keep the auto box I need to get Emange Ultimate which is still a piggy back. In the end I just got a SAFC 2 since I wasn't planning on modding it further for the time being.

But I recall one of the WA mods having an auto Stagea & running a Nistune...

Edited by Mayuri Krab

In regards to this thread ^ I have nistune in my auto series 1 R31 and i have a friend with nistune in his series 3 R31 auto and they both run beautifully. So if what you say is true then Nistune seems to be the only way to go.

But I recall one of the WA mods having an auto Stagea & running a Nistune...

Yeh bubba is using NIStune in his Stag. Not sure if he ended up removing the Haltech he had in there originally, but I think he is just using the NIStune now.

I don't see why it wouldn't work anyway. That's the big thing about NIStune, it keeps ALL your factory settings. So anything you don't change is still going to be the same.