SAU Community

Durafix Easy Weld.

StealthX

www.durafix.com

Discuss!

p.s. I barely got half way through the vid and I skipped ahead to eBay and bought a pack of 20!

p.p.s. if anyone is concerned about strength, there's another video when a guy has welded 10mm plates of ally together at right angles, smacks one side with a hammer and the ally begins to bend before the weld fails!

p.p.p.s. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270768970566&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3105wt_1139

Looks handy to have around, but its around $50 for 40 rods and you need an oxy.

i'd love to try it for rim repairs though

See that eBay link? $11 US for approx 10 rods... Looks like one does a fair bit too...

You don't need an oxy set-up, just a butane torch...

Pretty fkn awsome if it holds up as well as it looks...

Ha ha... I wanna see someone 'solder' up a cooler pipe work set up-

I've bought some for the sole purpose to re-doing my intercooler piping and making an airbox, so I'll update in this thread how I go!

Edited by StealthX

• 3 months later...

I used this stuff to make up an intake for my car. Turned out OK, considering I have no experience with welding etc.

I used a LPG gas bottle from my bar-b-q, with an appropiate nozzle, to heat up the material. One thing to remember, if you are making something with a few separate parts (like I did), when you heat it up again to stick the new bit on, there's a big chance the original "weld" will start to run. To help with this problem I bought a block of modelling clay and pushed some around the first bit/s to act like a heat sink.

post-76144-0-30043900-1318242557_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

nice, i have a hks intercooler that has a dent in the tube and i think it has a hole but im not sure, was going to chuck it on ebay for $50, might shell out the $11 and put it back on!

anyone know if they have something similar for steel?

i've got a stick welder and we're trying to modify a pocket bike exhaust onto a motorised push bike (using the band expander)

the cheap chinese steel is so thin that its got a few holes in it

just want something solder like that will work like this does

• 2 weeks later...

They usually have a stand at farm machinery days and will weld up any alloy part you bring in to get done. They are very good at it and make it look very easy. I've tried it in different things and it works OK, but I found that using the normal commercially available alloy brazing flux and 10% mag rods is about the same. This was using a Dillon/Henrob oxy.

anyone know if they have something similar for steel?

i've got a stick welder and we're trying to modify a pocket bike exhaust onto a motorised push bike (using the band expander)

the cheap chinese steel is so thin that its got a few holes in it

just want something solder like that will work like this does

Chinese metal for things like your talking about is usually terrible stuff to play with. Its usually recycled tseel with inclusions all through it. And then you say it is an exhaust pipe or some such - double whammy. Nothing like exhaust pipe for dirt and crap in the metal.