SAU Community

Are Rb30E And Rb25Det Flywheels The Same

ok cool ill do that then

also the flywheel i want to use has slight surface rust on it from sitting around will this matter or would it be like brakes and wear off

What ever you do do not use any liquids or sprays on it. It is almost certainly fine to use, that rust will come off in the first take off, if you look at brake discs after 2 days of rain and no driving they look similar.

I cant imagine it was for shear, they would just change the bolts, plus it would add absolutely nothing. Im just wondering if theres another use, being as the bolts basically align it.

confused

I cant see anyother reason why something would be doweled, other then to align and reduce shear loading. Bolts arent really meant to align or take significant side loading, they are pretty well only meant to be used in a tensile stressed manner and in some circumstances compressed.

What do you mean by they would just change the bolts?

Shear forces are taken by the surface to surface friction of the flywheel against the flange on the crank. That friction is created by the normal force, which is provided by the bolts pulling into tension. Stronger bolts = more torque capacity = more tension = more normal force = more friction = more tangential load capacity. Unless of course you are limited by the strength of the threads in the holes in the crank, which no-one ever seems to think about when just randomly upgrading bolts.

oh so it can go on anyway i thought it might have to on a certain way. will the dowel on the rb25det crank come out or will i have to grind it off just obvisouly the rb30 flywheel not going to fit iff a dowel is there

I think you mean an alternating bolt PCD? As in not evenly spaced?

Alot of flywheels are like this, idea being to keep the flywheel in the same position on the crank as when it was balanced from factory. Just keep turning the flywheel on the crank until it looks like it roughly lines up, fit the bolts say 5-6 turns in, if they all go in easy, you're set, if 2 or three are tight or don't start/line up, turn it to the next spot the holes line up.

Does that help?

• Like 1

Shear forces are taken by the surface to surface friction of the flywheel against the flange on the crank. That friction is created by the normal force, which is provided by the bolts pulling into tension. Stronger bolts = more torque capacity = more tension = more normal force = more friction = more tangential load capacity. Unless of course you are limited by the strength of the threads in the holes in the crank, which no-one ever seems to think about when just randomly upgrading bolts.

Similar to wheel studs/nuts don't take the torque of the driven hub, the friction generated between the hub and wheel drive it?

• 13 years later...

Hey I know this is an old thread but couldn't find any others relating to this topic I'm currently building a vl drift car has stock non turbo rb30 have a rb20 gearbox for it was just wondering if I'll need to get a rb20 flywheel and clutch or am I able to still run a rb30 flywheel and clutch cheers heaps