July Photo Thread

Mangune

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love jez's car also my gtr is reasonably clean but his makes it look like a dole bludgers vn commodore :( Those photos really do his car justice it is immaculate well done.

you would think buildings over 10 stories high would have some form of protection around the roof perimeter, lol.

20110720-093239.JPG

Edited by Jay019

i like the third cityscape 33driver. looks like you set the white balance right on that one. the other is a little too orange i think. i find that setting the white balance to tungsten works well. you will still get some lights looking orange, but overall its better balanced.

were you setting white balance manually, or just using auto?

the pink ferris wheel shots are nice. would be sweet if you got the whole wheel in. i know it can be a hassle tho depending on what kind of tripod head you have.

I had a go at night HDR tonight. i reckon i needed one or two darker shots to fix a couple of spots that got burnt out. i also had to pull the 'shadow' slider right down to bring some darkness back into the sky, something else im hoping the extra shot or two under exposed may help? either that or i need to get organised earlier and catch some sunset colors, although this is facing south. will take a while to get the hang of it, have to wait till monday to try again, lol.

250303_1999382497304_1025781561_31822765_6262324_n.jpg

Edited by Jay019

hey jay,

awesome shots, and yeah thanks for feedback.

WB was set on manual, first two were deliberately set on sunny, last sets we done with tungsten (last photo).

yeah agree with the ferris wheel, problem was that they had flood lights on the bottom which made the whole base of the wheel overexpose.

cheers,

Matt

WB was set on manual, first two were deliberately set on sunny, last sets we done with tungsten (last photo).

yeah agree with the ferris wheel, problem was that they had flood lights on the bottom which made the whole base of the wheel overexpose.

any reason you set the white balance to sunny for the first two? it does show the difference between sunlight and tungsten white balance I guess.

EDIT: ah lol, just had a look again... sunlight WB was probably the better choice for the first one as the sun hadnt totally left the sky, it would have come out very blue otherwise.

ah yep, thought there would have been a good reason.

i reckon it may have still worked out with the floodies in the shot, as long as you dont let them effect the overall exposure.

kinda like contre-jour photos with the sun in the background, maybe, lol.

Edited by Jay019

I haven't contributed anything in a while but I just got my new camera last week. It's a Panasonic GH2 Micro 4/3.

So far pretty impressed with its capabilities. Here's a few test shots I took when I got it.

P1010010.JPG

P1010176.JPG

P1010170.JPG

Shot of the moon was iso 160, but the other two were tests of indoor lighting and iso 1600. I'm really impressed with the high iso range with minimal noise. Of course I'd usually shoot lower iso but I wanted to see the image quality in high iso for video use. In video you can slow down the shutter but it really starts to make things look choppy if you go too far.

Hopefully I'll have some more time to play soon and post some more pics.

Jay, that HDR looks awesome mate!! You're definately onto something there. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Well I've decided I need some new SD cards, I would have some awesome 4WD shots for you all right now if I hadn't left my card in the computer

:(

ISO1600 for those indoor ones? WOW! that's very impressive indeed captn apezma! how small is the camera?

Jay, your hdr is shit. it's not over cooked or overdone at all. You can't even tell it's HDR at a glance. Everyone knws that HDR's need to look like an aborted dwarf. Nah it's awesome! really well done! Subtle is the key. Perhaps crop the bottom out, with the dark from the building, it's not adding. I covered it with my hand, looked rad. try it out :D That type of shot suits a wide crop too!

^those guitar shots are awesome! almost makes me miss playing... till i remember how bad i sucked anyway :P

and cheers Matt. your right too, I should stop being slack and do a wide crop.

thanks mate!

do a wide crop and re-cook it so it looks shit. that's what HDR is all about ;) hahaha. I've wanted to go do some night shots for a couple weeks but it's been so rainy and I've been sick :( Maybe next week!

mightnight purple anyone?

5969018816_4032222e45_b.jpg

Hey guys, I'm building some stuff for my video rig and though I'd share this one since it will also work for any SLR zoom lens.

I wanted a more controllable way to zoom when I have my camera in video mode.

I got this downspout clamp from Bunnings for $5. I just cut the tabs and drilled a hole to put the clamping screw through (a nice long one from one of my extra follow focus gears).

It really turned out well and the zoom is so much more fluid and smooth since I can control it better.

Just thought I'd share.

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG