SAU Community

How To Inport A Car From Japan?

el_bichito

i imported my R33 skyline about 10 years ago or so from japan. i saw it on a website in japan. i sent money overseas and well soon it was at the melbourne docks ready to be picked up. i had it complied here by a dealer. they were shocking. called me twice to pick up the car and they would say, sorry its not ready. Anyways soon after many laws changed. i just wanted to know, if i could import another car from japan and get it registered here. Not necesarilly a a skyline, well just any car, is it worth it. Any advice would be appreciated. regards brian. i am in melbourne.

yes of course you can.

firstly you need to find out if the car you want is on the SEVS list.'

if it's on the SEVS list you then need to make sure someone has compliance for it (not all cars on the list have workshops actively complying that model).

then you need to ring said workshop and find out if they have plates available and are willing to comply one you import yourself.

if those 3 tests are all positive then you can look for a car. however you like. with a broker/exporter, or importer or whatever.

BUT I would advise that before paying ror a car you show as many pics and info to the complying workshop as possible and ask them if they'd be happy complying it. you don't want to get a car here and then have it refused compliance due to damage etc.

if they are fine with it, buy the car.

as soon as you've paid for the car get the export certificate. give it to the workshop so they can apply for the import approval. do this asap.

arrange shipping.

when car arrives arrange customs clearance.

deliver car to compliance workshop.

they comply car and get plate and then plate the car.

now you can get it registered.

all done.

Yerrrrrp!!!!

Too Kewel for u @ lst. Cnt!

Just tricking, I've been working on a million and four projects then went on holiday. Now I only have one primary objective:

SMASHING YOU.

Does it matter about accident history if a car is pre 89?

not if it's been repaired properly and professionally. the car must meet engineering and roadworth requirements so still stay away from rusty cars etc but a car that's had a typical small accident and then been nicely repaired is not a problem but pls check the repairs properly before bidding/buying. some are great, some are rubbish.

i imported my R33 skyline about 10 years ago or so from japan. i saw it on a website in japan. i sent money overseas and well soon it was at the melbourne docks ready to be picked up. i had it complied here by a dealer. they were shocking. called me twice to pick up the car and they would say, sorry its not ready. Anyways soon after many laws changed. i just wanted to know, if i could import another car from japan and get it registered here. Not necesarilly a a skyline, well just any car, is it worth it. Any advice would be appreciated. regards brian. i am in melbourne.

Try http://www.feastautoexport.com/

I think the dude is an Aussie and should provide you with insight.

I have never heard of feast auto group personally but I feel like I SHOULD have because they seem to be in line with my interests.

Id be keen to know who the guys are because sometimes foreigners living in Japan people with bad reps simply change jobs or change company names to build a new client base, not saying this is the case here but one such example comes to mind of a guy that ripped a whole lot of people off and swindled money from them who now works for a reputable hobby store in Japan...

The company feast auto seems more aimed at the UK market.. Than the Aussie market... Most of the cars they've listed would simply have no hope of being eligible for import into Australia :-)

But yes, back on topique. I think it's fair to say everything has been covered in this thread and until OP comes back with more questions then we can put it to rest :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I don't understand why I'm not receiving email notifications..

Have you actually used them??

No, at the time of me writing that post I was never interested in utilizing their services.

I have never heard of feast auto group personally but I feel like I SHOULD have because they seem to be in line with my interests.

Id be keen to know who the guys are because sometimes foreigners living in Japan people with bad reps simply change jobs or change company names to build a new client base, not saying this is the case here but one such example comes to mind of a guy that ripped a whole lot of people off and swindled money from them who now works for a reputable hobby store in Japan...

The company feast auto seems more aimed at the UK market.. Than the Aussie market... Most of the cars they've listed would simply have no hope of being eligible for import into Australia :-)

But yes, back on topique. I think it's fair to say everything has been covered in this thread and until OP comes back with more questions then we can put it to rest :-)

I do not recommend FeastAuto. They’re tailored for Canadians and are idiots.

My experience with feast (trying to email, private message, and post on the Canadian GTR forums) wasn’t good. They answered my question about a product but out-right ignored me for weeks about locating a GTR. I’m about to burst with $$$$ because I’m holding these dollars for my next GTR.

Anyways, Sean Morris (the dude that spearheaded the Skyline importation in the U.S.) recommended R-International. I’ve already opened up communication with Mr. Hara and I’m looking forward to spitting money at him when he’s located a car that I want.