SAU Community

Remove Sunroof

MB2gtr

Hi guys,

I'm currently setting my car up for circuit work but need to get my sunroof removed before getting my cage done. Mistakenly put it in Cosmetic but left if in there just in case someone has a fabrication person I could speak to.

I figured the two options were to get a panel welded in place or to get a new roof skin.

Does anyone know of the best place to get a quote for this type of work or have any other possible suggestions?

Thanks.

Another way you can get rid of it if your after a fairly easy fix is what i did.

i just used a 2nd hand carbon bonnet and fitted it into the hole left by the sunroof.

You can make it out in the photo.

post-54017-0-49969500-1309845168_thumb.jpg

I definitely like the carbon roof idea, another way I have done it in the past was too cut a piece of perspex approx 40 mm too big and then bend a 20mm lip the whole way round, then fasten it too the metal lip on the roof skin which will be left after u remove the sunroof frame and glass.you can fasten it with just about anything just don't crack the Perspex, I used sealed blind rivets.after that silicone the join on top and wipe the excess away so it's waterproof as well. I doubt u will have a headlining in place if your caging but if so you might need to cut the 20mm lip down so it doesn't catch on anything.

thanks for the replies. I was thinking of putting a separate window in there but with the spacing needed for the cage it ends up being easier to remove the whole thing and not having to have a complete custom build for the cage. If I do find someone who is able to do something with it I'll post back in the thread with a few images in case anyone else thinks of doing the same.

That seems like the simple way to go, I was thinking about it and you probably could just build the cage first and figure it out later, also more than likely u will have a cross brace throughout so just mount something off that

• 1 month later...

They are fiddely to get right I replaced mine in my r33 track car and was a pain but looks smick. Deffinatley needs a brace through the center, check out my r33 build thread for pictures. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

still haven't sorted this part out yet but the skin idea is still the one I'm liking the most. That way I can just get someone to do the welding and I can sort the rest. Does anyone have an idea where I might source one? Going to start calling around and see if anyone is wrecking a 32.