SAU Community

Missfire And Moan - What The Hell Is It?

buckets

Hey guys,

Over the last couple of weeks, my beloved 33 started to develope a missfire, however not during boost, but when on idle (sounded like a rexxy, vibration through the car and lack in power).

Weird thing was, when engine braking it was running fine, yet under throttle is when it runs like s**t. So i decided to give the car a service, oil and filter change, spark plugs replaced, Injector cleaner added to fuel, new air filter, fuel filter, diff oil, gearbox oil and 2 new tyres on the front. However, the constant missfire persists, and yet there a splitfires in her...??

Other thing is, ive noticed a slight moan on idle, but when revved, sounds fine? Could be related?

Much thanks to anyone who can help me out here, much needed.

the usual things to check would be ignitor pack (its a series 2 so you wouldnt have one of these), CAS and AFM.

open the AFM up by carefully removing the rubber seal around the cap with a razor and re-solder all of the connections inside. use gasket maker to re-seal the cap.

try swap over a CAS with a known working one, you must keep in mind that timing will be effected so you will need a timing light to get it back to 15deg on idle.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the info. Been tied down at work so only just got back round to the car again.

I checked the ecu and got fault code 21 - ignition signal. Ive changed my plugs 2 months ago.

I'd say it be the coilpacks but they are splitfires. Not saying these can't s**t themselves too.

Any other ideas?

New information!

It will only do it while the car is warning up. As in between "C" and normal operating temperature. Turning the car off and back on usually fixes it. But only when warm

Any other ideas guys? It seems to happen moreso when it's less than half a tank full. Which seems just weird

hasnt happened since tank has been filled, dont think it could be fuel related...?

what you did with the AFM will only prove that the car doesnt work properly without it connected, and idles fine when it is. its got nothing to do with how it works under load.

could be a split fuel hose at the fuel pump or could be the actual fuel pump.

Edited by SECURITY