SAU Community

Options For Front Struts And Brakes For C210 1978

im currently converting my whole front end to S13 silvia at the moment. it's a lot of mucking around! note: you can also use silvia brake upgrades then too.

ive almost finished the conversion. just need to put some more money into it. when it is done ill be writing up how to do it. no point telling you right now as i dont know how to finish it just yet.

Depends what you want to use the car for.

As a std restoration

For the cost of buying used parts that may well be as tired as what you have now I would invest in replacement strut cartridges and then replace any balljoints and bushes as required

As R34 says, fixing the stock front end is by far less expensive than going down the modifying track.

A set of springs will cost between $200 ~ 300.00, no matter wether they are King's or custom made and the replacement strut inserts, the sky's the limit. You might find a/mkt Ultima inserts fairly cheap on fleebay but they wont control the new springs unless made to factory spec. A Monroe GT130/GAS replacement is a cheap upgrade from stock, adjustable Koni's would be my recommendation but cost is the element then.

It all depends on your budget and the purpose you want the vehicle for?

Cheers, D

I am using off-the-shelf Pedders red springs over koni red adjustable shocks, with magna ventilated disk and hilux calipers. Pedders (polyurethrathanesomething) bushes throughout. These are all bolt on modifications only. The car (also a 78 C210) stops and corners really well.

I would never knock the S13 conversion, I'm just way too lazy to go down that path, and have no welding/fabricating skills to speak of anyway.

ive fitted modified hr31 front struts, had the smaller c210/r30 spring platforms fitted as the r31 springs r massive... these bolt to stock c210/r30 steering arm, have floating hub and 100mm caliper spacing same as s13 so makes for good upgrades, shorter tube than original so at a lowered height will have more travel, wide range of inserts easily available bilstein/koni etcetc, and still use standard fitment springs and tops. hubs can also be redrilled to 5stud easily if u want to go that way.

if this interests you ill have 2 sets of these modified hr31 complete struts forsale soon as im going coilovers in both cars.

jon.

Actually, a mate of mine in Tasmania bought eBay USA coilovers for 240z, he checked with them and they assured him they'd fit his C210 coupe (not sure how they'd know given the lack of C210's in the states). Anyway, I'll try and get an update about how they worked out.

As far as I know there are a bunch of similarities between 240z's and C210 Skylines; I'm using the Hilux caliper over Magna ventilated disks up front, and a complete 280zx diff cradle and disk brake rear end on my C210.

At a guess the original Toico disk and drum set up on the C210 is the same as the 240z...

• 2 weeks later...

Zed front struts are different to everything... they are shorter (have the spring seat welded further down the strut tube) and use a smaller spring, and different strut top, and different strut insert...

240K/200B struts are the same (and I think the same as C210)... and brakes about the same or smaller than C210 (I think smaller)...

R30/R31 are about the same size brakes, but different bolt pattern... and as above R31 struts use very big springs... you can use R30 struts and custom springs, to lower them back to standard height but the strut insert is not in the middle of it's travel so firmer on the bump, and softer on the rebound...

Early 180B struts will let you bolt a commodore caliper straight up, used with machined Audi front rotors used to be the mod to do... now everyone goes to S13 brakes for early Datos...

Cheers,

Daewoo