SAU Community

Hi there,

just pick up my R34GTR and I have been told it has some "Nismo Sport Clutch Kit" dont even know what part no is ??? I believe it has been change to single flywheel !!

now I am hearing this rattle noise when the car on idle, when I clutch in it goes away !! I have been told by my mechanic its normal becuase factory Nissan runs a dual mass fly wheel !! he said it happens when you change to flywheel !!

this might sounds ok to alot of ppl but this is anoying me to the hell !! any way we can get rid of this noise beside going back to dual mass flywheel ??

thank you

The getrag's all rattle in neutral. Twin plate clutchs rattle only happens when your foot has the clutch pedal to the floor. When the clutch is engaged your listening to the gearbox.

The dual mass is supposed to quieten it a little, but it doesnt. Get a louder exhaust or a bigger stereo. Putting your foot on and off the clutch a few times and you can get the sound to change and quieten sometimes...

had a dual mass in my lexus but then changed to single mass and letting clutch out there are squeaky sounds

and just recently i have the same problem as you, noisy rattly sound in neutral, does yours increase as revs increase?

i figured mine was the clutch bearing, annoying and makes you self conscious that people think your car is shit when you pull up but harmless really ahah

The getrag's all rattle in neutral.

Is the gearbox itself noisy, or do you mean that the dual mass flywheel rattles when it gets old?

The dual mass is supposed to quieten it a little, but it doesnt.

What's the theory behind that? I would have thought a dual mass could only make noise as it gets old, not help suppress noise. Especially considering its connected to the engine not the gearbox.

OP - I cant see how non-dual mass, non-multi plate clutch would be noisy. I mean, what can rattle?

I'm looking for edumacation plz

As much as we would like our flywheels to remain flat all the time, in reality they never are. The moment you start to drive the car, friction generates heat hot spots that in turn cause iregular expansion of the material. This warps the surface of the flywheel and causes driveline shuddering in its wost cases. It is especialy noticable if you try and drive like a grandma with a 3 or 4 puck ceramic clutch disc and a bad ass heavy clutch plate.

Conventional clutch setups have a flywheel directly bolt to the crankshaft. The clutch pressure plate is also hard bolted to the flywheel. And the clutch friction disc is in between the two, with its drive spline slipped over the input shaft on the gearbox. This allows for no movement anywhere in the driveline to dampen the opertation and engagement of the clutch.

A dual mass flywheel is like a mix of a flywheel and a flex plate from an auto setup. The friction surface of the flywheel is rivetted to a mounting plate that is bolted to the crankshaft. This allows the flywheel to move a little and soften the engagement of the clutch as it engages. The goal being to make the car more drivable.

This is a dual mass. See the 12 rivets in the pic:

676.jpg

This is conventional

nengun-130966-00-nismo-lightweight_flywheel_rb20rb25rb26.jpg

Every R34 Gtr ive seen all have the getrag rattle at idle and in neutral. No its not age/wear related, having seen a standard vspec with < 30,000 genuine km and it still rattled.