SAU Community

Rb25 Neo Into R32

Hi,

I currently have a RB20det manual (~240,000k's) in my r32 only running a fmic tbe and thats about it, its a great motor, although it has alot of k's, and i know the power is starting to die, I'd love to keep it, just doesn't seem economical to rebuild it and spend more money especially seeing as the price of a relatively newer rb25det neo will be cheaper (~$3k complete with a box) and it can handle a lot more.

If I go ahead with this, I plan on running the complete rb25det neo motor with the loom and the neo ecu.

So my question is (yes i have done a quick search), if i use the standard neo ecu with the neo loom, will i have drama's with getting the motor running like standard?

Also with the wiring, is there anything else which will need to be spliced/rewired other then the wind screen wipers?

Will i have to run a funny cog to get a speedo reading even with the neo ecu?

Apart from heater hoses and cut and shut tail shaft, will i require any other parts?

I plan on doing all the work myself, and hopefully learn as i go, I'm on a budget of around $3,500.

Is there anything else i should take into consideration prior to going down this path?

The car is my daily but, but also the car i slide every once in a while, so i'd really like to keep it, if not ill be in the market for a evo 6 or r33 gtr.

Thanks in advanced, and please leave the silly comments to yourself, Thanks!

Use the rb20det computer and loom, will be infinitely easier and just nistune the ECU. Neo computer and loom will be a complete cock to do and for minimal gain, I would highly advise against it unless you are an electrical genius or plan on paying someone lots to do it.

You will need to rewire the coils and cas, not sure about dramas with the different intake manifold. Will need a series 1 R33 rb25 TPS for the nistune software to play nice. Probably more, but these things are all I can think of off the top of my head.

$3k with a box is dreaming imo, I paid $1900 for a bare motor with absolutely no accessories or box. I've seen complete engines go for $2500, boxes usually are $1500.

By the time you get it going I would say $4k is more realistic, maybe more if you can't do 100% of the work yourself.

I personally just finished the swap the other day, but I had already converted the car to R33 rb25, and then went to the neo as the motor died, however I used the series 1 rb25det intake manifold and all associated piping as I didn't want to think about having to mod things to get the neo one to mount up, you should be able to use the neo intake etc without too many dramas though.

Good choice with the neo, generally they are much newer and lower kms, also a better engine, highly recommend it.

Edited by Rolls

personally i would run the neo loom/ecu.. its a much better ecu then the RB20 set up.

wiring it in isnt difficult. ive done plenty. the best way to do it is to strip out the wiper loom from the RB20 looma nd then fit that to the neo loom as well as powering it up etc. in fact if you send me the rb20 loom and the neo loom i can offer a plug and play result.

you'll need to change the single wire temp sender on the neo to the RB20 item so the dash temp gauge reads right.

the neo doesnt need a speed imput to run correctly.. but it helps

personally i would run the neo loom/ecu.. its a much better ecu then the RB20 set up.

wiring it in isnt difficult. ive done plenty.

How much work is it? People always told me it was a pain in the ass. The ECU is better if you can be bothered though.

Hi,

I currently have a RB20det manual (~240,000k's) in my r32 only running a fmic tbe and thats about it, its a great motor, although it has alot of k's, and i know the power is starting to die, I'd love to keep it, just doesn't seem economical to rebuild it and spend more money especially seeing as the price of a relatively newer rb25det neo will be cheaper (~$3k complete with a box) and it can handle a lot more.

If I go ahead with this, I plan on running the complete rb25det neo motor with the loom and the neo ecu.

So my question is (yes i have done a quick search), if i use the standard neo ecu with the neo loom, will i have drama's with getting the motor running like standard?

Also with the wiring, is there anything else which will need to be spliced/rewired other then the wind screen wipers?

Will i have to run a funny cog to get a speedo reading even with the neo ecu?

Apart from heater hoses and cut and shut tail shaft, will i require any other parts?

I plan on doing all the work myself, and hopefully learn as i go, I'm on a budget of around $3,500.

Is there anything else i should take into consideration prior to going down this path?

The car is my daily but, but also the car i slide every once in a while, so i'd really like to keep it, if not ill be in the market for a evo 6 or r33 gtr.

Thanks in advanced, and please leave the silly comments to yourself, Thanks!

Call this number 0738144674 his names Kevin.

You send him both looms he will send you back a plug and play loom ready to drop in and at a good price aswell...

its about 3-4 hours work. its really no difficult then wiring an R33 motor into an R32.

I guess cause with the R33 motor you can basically use all existing loom and just change a few things, I figured with neo you would have to change most of the wiring? I guess if you have done it before then you are the man to listen to though! I'll shut my trap.

yeah with most conversions i do if the owner is not running ABS i'll strip all the ABS wiring from the neo loom to clean it up a bit, and then make it plug and play

realistically to get a neo running theres only 4 wires that need 12v and it will run. theres about 8 other wires that get hooked up for dash cluster and so forth tho

Loving the input, its much appreciated, thank you.

wiring it in isnt difficult. ive done plenty. the best way to do it is to strip out the wiper loom from the RB20 looma nd then fit that to the neo loom as well as powering it up etc. in fact if you send me the rb20 loom and the neo loom i can offer a plug and play result.

you'll need to change the single wire temp sender on the neo to the RB20 item so the dash temp gauge reads right.

the neo doesnt need a speed imput to run correctly.. but it helps

If i choose to go down this path, ill definitely let you know. At the moment it looks like its the way to go, it seems to be the cheapest way to get the goals I want, a powerful car in a car that handles the way i like (mine does this already). Do you mind if you please PM a price for this work, also how much of the rb20 loom do you need? do i need to pull out all the stuff behind the dash?

With this plug and play loom, everything wires back in like standard? and everything works like it should? if so i think i just had a wet dream.

not just for the performance of the motor, but also because its my daily, and I'd like to have a working speedo, will the standard box cog work and wire in correctly? i plan on leaving the standard 4.36 diff.

Thanks again, its really appreciated, as ive never done anything like this before, i need all the help i can get. thanks.

yeah mate everything will work like standard. all we need is the RB20 engine loom and the neo engine loom and i'll take the bits off the 20 loom that i need.

as for the speedo. if u use a rb25 box you'll need to go the nevara drive route to ensure the stock cable speedo works.

ive done this with my R32 GTS-T, i used the Neo loom along with the the ecu and all, i also exchanged the the dash cluster, since i also put in the Neo gearbox that only has pulse for the speedo.

but i got everything to work and all, only had some minor problem bypassing some stuff for the engine warning lamp and so on

Awesome, looking for parts hopefully it doesnt take to long to find a healthy motor+box...

ive done this with my R32 GTS-T, i used the Neo loom along with the the ecu and all, i also exchanged the the dash cluster, since i also put in the Neo gearbox that only has pulse for the speedo.

but i got everything to work and all, only had some minor problem bypassing some stuff for the engine warning lamp and so on

Was there a lot of work involved in getting the r34 cluster to fit and work? i assume you had to use the neo temp sensor, anything else required to get all the dash features to work, same fuel sensors and rpm signal sensors?

Please elaborate on what other problems you had fitting the r34 cluster?

Thanks.

Edited by phat_man

Awesome, looking for parts hopefully it doesnt take to long to find a healthy motor+box...

One idea is to find an auto motor, you are basically guaranteed it has had a much easier life, that is what I did, came out of a 100% stock r34 auto with no mods, stock exhaust and everything, and then buy a box separately. Though if you can get it all at once then that might be cheaper.

Personally Im still using my rb20 box until it blows up, it handed a year of abuse with 240kw with no issue somehow, still isn't making any funny noises.

Edited by Rolls

there are some bargains out there. my motor i bought with no box and no turbo.. was out of a written off 34 and had 42,000 genuine kms on there i then added a 33 box to it. motor and everything cold 1500

another package i recently bought for AM Performance was a complete motor and box combo again out of a mint stock well maintained car that was wrapped sideways around a tree. paild 3K for that package.

Edited by Simon-S14

Was there a lot of work involved in getting the r34 cluster to fit and work? i assume you had to use the neo temp sensor, anything else required to get all the dash features to work, same fuel sensors and rpm signal sensors?

Please elaborate on what other problems you had fitting the r34 cluster?

Thanks.

Yeah i used all the Neo sensors, it wasnt that much work really, only had to cut out some small part of the R32 Dash, the R32 fuel signal worked fine with the R34 cluster, same with the hicas speed pulse wich comes out of the cluster, and the rpm signal worked fine since i used the neo Ecu, there are some pretty good wiring diagrams of the clusters in the manuals wich is availble around the internet. I only had to bypass the Motorised throttle for the R34 TCS system to get the Engine warning light to turn off.

I think i might stick with the r32 cluster, only worried about getting the speedo to work as i know the navara mod doesnt seem to work as accurately as it should, any other suggestions for getting a speedo to work?

Ok so far the best i've been able to find is a neo out of an auto r34 with approx 96,000k's for 1600 complete minus loom or ecu as its auto.... Where is good to look in sydney?

Rolls: I'd like to keep the box as it'd be much cheaper, but i know the box is on the way out, and since its all coming out i'd rather change it now.

Thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by phat_man

I think i might stick with the r32 cluster, only worried about getting the speedo to work as i know the navara mod doesnt seem to work as accurately as it should, any other suggestions for getting a speedo to work?

Ok so far the best i've been able to find is a neo out of an auto r34 with approx 96,000k's for 1600 complete minus loom or ecu as its auto.... Where is good to look in sydney?

Rolls: I'd like to keep the box as it'd be much cheaper, but i know the box is on the way out, and since its all coming out i'd rather change it now.

Thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated. Thanks!

the nevara mod works just fine.. you use the rb25 cog on the nevara drive. theres a write up somewhere in the tutorial section.

as for the motor... try and find something WITH a loom and ecu.. will be too hard to track shit down otherwise. doesnt matter if its auto or manual.. if its auto u can still use the same ecu to run it as manual

Edited by Simon-S14

If you get a massive bargain for a bare engine you could consider using the rb20det computer and loom. How much better is the computer simon?

Also would the R34 cluster look out of place?

the nevara mod works just fine.. you use the rb25 cog on the nevara drive. theres a write up somewhere in the tutorial section.

as for the motor... try and find something WITH a loom and ecu.. will be too hard to track shit down otherwise. doesnt matter if its auto or manual.. if its auto u can still use the same ecu to run it as manual

How different is the auto loom to a manual one?

I dont think it'll be to hard to source manual loom and computer, or are they not that different? because i will most likely run a nistune later on down the track so i dont mind waiting around for a manual one if its going to help later on.

Oh also the crank pulleys are different sizes so you will need different accessory belts.

I plan on running the neo motor as is complete.