SAU Community

Had My First Spin Out, Scared Me Shitless

Having only driven FWD cars in the past I had my first spin out in my R33 after owning it for a week.

It's raining in Sydney tonight and I was on the on ramp to the harbour bridge out of china town the part that darling harbour backs onto. Was doing 60km/h around a slight bend in 5th, accelerated a bit, boost kicked in and suddenly I did a full 360 spin and was very luck not to hit the side barriers. Had stalled the car and was clapped and wolf whistled by standers by as I started the car and slowly drove off. I'd had 2 beers (full license) and was thanking my stars no cops came past...

Just wondering why it's so easy to spin out? Could be down to my tyres, stock rims and no name brand, previous owners tyres.

Anyways just thought I'd post this because to be honest I have never felt so out of control in a car and never have I felt that rush before! Lol

Edited by RobertoB

I used to spin the stock tyres/rims, upgrade to at least 225 all round with good tyres and you shouldn't have a problem but be careful in the wet.... the torque you see, especially when turning and accelerating.

EDIT: I currently run 255 on the rears and if i give it some in the lower gears it will slide big time in damp conditions.... (stock suspension, etc)

Edited by Shazza24

Firstly, why is this in the classic skylines section?

Secondly why/how were you in 5th gear doing 60kph?, let alone 5th gear while on a "bend"

And lastly, you were simply going to fast for this "bend" or "slightly accelerating" means you accelerated alot when you shouldnt have.

Resolution would be to take some defensive driving courses, or atleast get on a skidpan and work out how to control your car in the wet

FWD and RWD have very different handling characteristics at the limit, and hence need very different driving styles.

This is little different to the RWD fanbois after one drive of a FWD, declaring they're sh!t.

If you try to drive fast on the street (bad) then it will take time to get to know your car's characteristics.

Not been given a licence? Perhaps so, but not for you to decide.

Not been given a licence? Perhaps so, but not for you to decide.

He is just proof of how bad our licencing system really is. It is funny until I remember this clown is driving on the same roads as me and my kids.

OP, you clearly don't have a handle of even the most basic driving skills, hand your licence back and learn to drive before you kill someone.

Mister "Kellogg's" makes very good licenses so I hear often and I see here is just another example?

With over 4000000 k's under my belt, I can honestly say I have never done a 360 spin ever and an open forum like this is not the place to tell the world you have.

I know exactly where you were, travelling along Harbour St behind Cockle Bay Wharf and you're lucky you weren't cleaned up by a couple of govey buses and or bounced off the concrete barriers, because it is barely 2 lanes at the best of times.

As 1 said, what were you doing in 5th gear at 60kph in the first place? Any driving skill, even that needed to qualify for the Kellogg's brand license would tell you it's the wrong gear by about 2 or 3 in a 5 speed box. Lots of things could have been the reason for this and one not suggested is tire pressure? If your rear tires were low in pressure your grip capabilities decrease dramatically in dry conditions and you were in the wet. Any tin pot no namr tire should be capable of keeping a reasonably competent driver in a straight line in wet conditions and probably there lies the answer?

You are probably not a competent driver and worse driving something with 185Kw in front of you. Try getting some experience before you want to be an idiot next time???????

That's my 2 bobs worth.

Cheers, D

In all seriousness, you were lucky to get away with it. Take it as a wake up call and book yourself into a defensive driving course. Aaron Mcgill ran a very good course but that was at Oran Park. Do a bit of a search, there will be others at "The Creek" etc.

Ok ok everyone finished flaming?

Obviously I posted this to get tips to avoid it happening again. As I mentioned this is my first RWD car, my previous was an Alfa 147 GTA, same power as skyline (power/weight is higher) but all delivered to the front wheels so a very different driving experience. I have owned 15 cars in the 10 years I've held my license and have never felt so out of control. I'm hardly inexperienced...

As for my gear selection, im usually in 5th after 60kmp/h to reduce fuel consumption and was not expecting the boost so much with slight acceleration.

Thanks for the constructive comments guys who gave them, defensive driving course sounds like a good way to avoid this, I'd love to get on a skid pan one day.

Cheers.

Edited by RobertoB

Ok ok everyone finished flaming?

Obviously I posted this to get tips to avoid it happening again. As I mentioned this is my first RWD car, my previous was an Alfa 147 GTA, same power as skyline (power/weight is higher) but all delivered to the front wheels so a very different driving experience. I have owned 15 cars in the 10 years I've held my license and have never felt so out of control. I'm hardly inexperienced...

As for my gear selection, im usually in 5th after 60kmp/h to reduce fuel consumption and was not expecting the boost so much with slight acceleration.

Thanks for the constructive comments guys who gave them, defensive driving course sounds like a good way to avoid this, I'd love to get on a skid pan one day.

Cheers.

5th gear at 60kph is just rediculous mate, the car is barely above idle at that ratio.

When i first read this i assumed you were onto your second car. Now i know that you have been driving for 10 years I am seriously worried about the fact you have a licence, the way you describe your driving would fail a driving test.

Im not flaming, im telling it how it is :mellow:

60km in 5th gear and you managed to make it spin that much you did a 360???

Maybe there was oil on the road or maybe you were really in 3rd gear giving it a bootfull??

You don't hit boost in 5th gear at 60km/h buddeh. You might have hit something on the road like an oil patch or something or this slight bend was in fact a 90 degree bend :nyaanyaa:

Keep safe, we all make mistakes sometime in our life.

Edited by Dani Boi

jesus, give the bloke a break. as if anyone in a high powered rear wheel drive car has never had some unexpected wheelspin. if you respond by lifting off, and you are already on a bend, you are likely to spin.

Anyway, Robert, join the NSW club, come along to some of our motorkhana and driver training days. These are great handling cars you just need to get used to how they react.

Sure, many of us have probably had unexpected wheelspin with some reacting rightly and most wrongly. Yes, you may be "used" to FWD's and extremely inexperienced in RWD's. Maybe you had bald tires, too much pressure or even the wrong gear.

But I don't think any of these things are the real problem. My problem with your post is your complete lack of understanding of how a car behaves, especially after 10 years driving experience.

There are many people, probably most people, who don't know what to do when thier car gets out of shape. But you don't even know why you got out of shape in the first place.

A defensive driving course would help you learn how to handle a car when it's out of shape, but you need to get a handle of the basics to understand how not to get out of shape in the first place. After 10 years "experience" though, I would have thought you would fully understand this by now. It may simply be beyond you.

Sell the skyline and get the lowest powered buzz box you can get with the highest level of safety features and electronic stability systems. Any car with more than 100kw at the fly is not for you.

Hmmm the oil on the road scenario is starting to me more sense to me at present...

I don't see how being in a lower gear could have avoided my spin out considering it would have been easier to hit boost under acceleration.