SAU Community

P Platers Driving Turbos And V8's

Not only are you saying "I'll take the consequences", I do believe in one of the clauses I've seen it means you're technically unlicenced, which can mean completely uninsured... Which means if you hit me, I'm going to sue you for every dollar you earn for your whole life... Or what if you really don't have the talent to control that power and kill someone?

QFT

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My perants came along to buy my first car ( n/a r33), and gave me a loan for it aswell, they had no idea about the turbo rule untill i told them, The old boy was going to buy the 180sx next door for me untill i opened my mouth.

None the less he thinks my na skyline is powerfull to a degree but trusts i dont drive like an idiot on the roads, they know any car can kill 120k's is 120k's weather its my line or his camary. Ive had enough scares on the road to know what happens when i do cirtian things and as much as i wanted a turbo stright up im so so glad i didnet. i think it comes down to knowing YOUR car and how it reacts.

to better myself i intend to do a few driver courses, i think training is the most important thing, who cares weather you do 100 hours or 20 hours on your l's after the first 5 hours its just driving along with the rest of the zombies on the road, its learning what to do and what not to do in situations, ect.

My perants came along to buy my first car ( n/a r33), and gave me a loan for it aswell, they had no idea about the turbo rule untill i told them, The old boy was going to buy the 180sx next door for me untill i opened my mouth.

None the less he thinks my na skyline is powerfull to a degree but trusts i dont drive like an idiot on the roads, they know any car can kill 120k's is 120k's weather its my line or his camary. Ive had enough scares on the road to know what happens when i do cirtian things and as much as i wanted a turbo stright up im so so glad i didnet. i think it comes down to knowing YOUR car and how it reacts.

to better myself i intend to do a few driver courses, i think training is the most important thing, who cares weather you do 100 hours or 20 hours on your l's after the first 5 hours its just driving along with the rest of the zombies on the road, its learning what to do and what not to do in situations, ect.

imo, this is a poor attitude that many l platers have. I actually dont know many people that completed their 120 hours legit. Many of my friends forged lots of the hours. some even forged arounnd 100 of the hours. Im surprised the parents dont give a shit. At the end of the day, it is a large amount of time, but i think more people should make the effort.

Lol, there are so many P Platers here who act like heroes. I sure as hell wouldn't drive a restricted vehicle because it only takes one police officer to catch you, then you're out and you can't drive anywhere, or you have to at least drive like a grandma for the rest of your Ps. (Not sure if you lose your license or just a few demerit points for driving a restricted vehicle + a fine)

Just follow the rules and drive an unrestricted vehicle, you'll be fine and you don't have to worry about every car being a police officer. It also helps to drive a few different cars as well so you get experience in a few different vehicles. For my P1 License, I mainly drove my parents 2004 Holden VY Commodore; sure it's a boat and handles like a piece of shit in corners but it's a good learning experience. Then I drove a 1991 Hyundai Excel... without power steering, big downgrade and you can definitely notice it. Kind of rotated between those two for a bit until I got my R34 GT and still rotate between these three cars when I can't be bothered driving my R34. (Now on my P2 License)

VY Commodore - 235HP

Hyundai Excel - 81HP

Nissan Skyline R34 GT - 200HP

I don't know about you but I'm happy driving these three until I get my unrestricted license, not that powerful but still reasonable to learn on (you're still learning on your Ps! :P)

Also, driven a VW Beatle, a Mazda 121, and a friends Lancer ES. Anyway, point is... you should get experience in a few different vehicles before you go to a turbocharged, supercharged or V8 powered vehicle. THEN by the time you get your unrestricted license, you will have enough experience to drive a turbocharged car.

I dont get how driving 50 hours or 150 hours on learners is going to be much benefit. I know NOBODY who has done the full hours except for me ( I only had to do 50hours but I ended up doing probably +300 as I would drive and not record it so in the end it was all fake days and milage but the experience time was there). After the first 50 hours you are well aware of how to drive a car around corners, brake, accelerate, what the rules are etc.... But none of us really ever stop being learners. Just because you get your p's or fulls does NOT mean you stop learning how to drive.

Most of a persons learning is just done by driving experience, this can not be condenced into 50, 120 or 150 hours of driving with a possibly in experienced or wrongly educated adult in the passengers seat.

I did the same as you kujotk, on the day of the test i was using all the dozens of pieces of paper I'd written trips down on to fill in the book, wrote up 57 of the hours, was about 25% of the hours I'd driven. And I don't remember it being that much effort to get that many hours tallied up. Then again my folks regularly traveled on weekends.

It seems so easy for people to get stuck in bad habits, esp once they've passed the test to get their red p's. There's no other test that just forces young learning drivers to think "maybe the L's book said that for a reason". Such as braking hard early. Most accidents are caused by people not braking hard enough, early enough.

imo, this is a poor attitude that many l platers have. I actually dont know many people that completed their 120 hours legit. Many of my friends forged lots of the hours. some even forged arounnd 100 of the hours. Im surprised the parents dont give a shit. At the end of the day, it is a large amount of time, but i think more people should make the effort.

Mate i did all my hours and spent well over 2 thousand with a instrustor, The Gimp at Ryde RTA wasent even going to let me take the test becasue he did not belive i did the hours, mine was the only log book he checked after he just flipped to the back and signed off the 6 people infront of me, then he proceeded to say, well THIS time ill let you take the test just so we can see if you really have done any hours.

Then after taking everyones "advice" not to take my R33 on the test i paid $175 to use the instructors car, and i failed in the end. School zone that came into play mid test, i was not looking at the time in the car my mistake

next time i come with my 33 and fail again, going through stop sign apparently, then i asked which one was it? i was then told he DID NOT have to tell me which sign i went through and its my fault for not seeing it, i knew he was full of crap.

Again came with the 33 two weeks later and i pass, now this one i thought i must of failed, i Stopped at a stop sign, head checks, there was a car about 300m at the top of hill comming down, he was speeding like mad so it mucked me up a little as i went he came flying down, the stupid instructer screamed and then ripped my handbrake up whilst knocking my arm tryign to get them off the steering wheel. ( mind you i was on the ball once i noticed how fast this douche was comming down the street and i braked till he had passed) i did not panic as i had processed the situation and knew what to do.

Now are we spose to have good drivers with a system like this, we need real road driver training, with deffensive courses ect, and People who can test who know what THEY are doing. Not someone who freaks becasue they dont have dual peddels.

so back to the comment you quoted, i dont care how many hours you have done, if its going around the same block everytime you dont learn stuff all after the first 10 hours, the rest is just auto pilot,

They have now made it every hour with an authorised instructer counts as 3 hours in the log book. this might help the pocket but not the driver.

The best peice of advice i got from my instructer was the way you will drive for the test goes completly out the window when your really diving, you should dive to suit yourself and the conditions of the road and people around you,

Edited by sydking

I think it really boils down to respect and common sense. On my P's I was lucky enough to drive a Astra SRI Turbo. You know, for the 2 years I had that car, I never once got a dirty look off someone, never once got a speeding fine (let alone a parking ticket! lol), and was always responsible. That little car was a pocket rocket too! As a comparison, a mate had a '87 corolla. Drove like a complete twat. Not to mention a death trap of a vehicle.. So choice of vehicle isnt always the "be all and end all" reason..

Years later I now drive a "reasonably" powerful Skyline, and still get the same treatment from most other drivers on the road. This is because I have respect and common sense. Hell, even when our fantastic friends in Blue drive past me I give a little nod, and then usually give one back! Now, I dont know about you guys, but how often do you see 30+ year olds (male AND female) driving like complete idiots? The worst is my cousin; on his P's, drives a Lancer with a not too loud exhaust, VERY subtle rims, constantly getting egged on by people much older than he driving high powered cars...... On their full licences. I can proudly say he doesnt fall for the bait. What kind of example are these types of people setting?

I'll even go as far as to speculate, that its these same kind of people that "dont care" about their children driving certain types of vehicle. Not necessarily all of them, but atleast a vast majority. Yet again, it comes down to respect and common sense. I think being brought up a certain way has a lot to do with it.

Not only are these two terms invaluable for driving on the road, but in all aspects of life.

Mum and dad brought me up to be a gentleman; a gentleman with the ladies, and a gentleman on the road. Good attitude I think..

Ty.

Edited by Dajae

Mate i did all my hours and spent well over 2 thousand with a instrustor, The Gimp at Ryde RTA wasent even going to let me take the test becasue he did not belive i did the hours, mine was the only log book he checked after he just flipped to the back and signed off the 6 people infront of me, then he proceeded to say, well THIS time ill let you take the test just so we can see if you really have done any hours.

Then after taking everyones "advice" not to take my R33 on the test i paid $175 to use the instructors car, and i failed in the end. School zone that came into play mid test, i was not looking at the time in the car my mistake

next time i come with my 33 and fail again, going through stop sign apparently, then i asked which one was it? i was then told he DID NOT have to tell me which sign i went through and its my fault for not seeing it, i knew he was full of crap.

Again came with the 33 two weeks later and i pass, now this one i thought i must of failed, i Stopped at a stop sign, head checks, there was a car about 300m at the top of hill comming down, he was speeding like mad so it mucked me up a little as i went he came flying down, the stupid instructer screamed and then ripped my handbrake up whilst knocking my arm tryign to get them off the steering wheel. ( mind you i was on the ball once i noticed how fast this douche was comming down the street and i braked till he had passed) i did not panic as i had processed the situation and knew what to do.

Now are we spose to have good drivers with a system like this, we need real road driver training, with deffensive courses ect, and People who can test who know what THEY are doing. Not someone who freaks becasue they dont have dual peddels.

so back to the comment you quoted, i dont care how many hours you have done, if its going around the same block everytime you dont learn stuff all after the first 10 hours, the rest is just auto pilot,

They have now made it every hour with an authorised instructer counts as 3 hours in the log book. this might help the pocket but not the driver.

The best peice of advice i got from my instructer was the way you will drive for the test goes completly out the window when your really diving, you should dive to suit yourself and the conditions of the road and people around you,

sorry if i offended you, because i didnt intend to do that. I was just highlighting somethig you said as it seems to be a reacurring theme with L platers attitudes towards the 120 hour rule. Imo every one should do the 120 hours. To me, the more you drive, the higher chance you will encounter and experiance a range of situations, conditions (rain, fog, night) and roads (country, suburban, highways, windy, busy main roads)

For example, around mid way through my l's, I was entering the M5 at Beverly hills east bound. (anyone who knows what im talking about will know this is a busy entrance to the M5) Anyway there was a BMW SUV in front of me, and upon entering the highway from the ramp he changed lanes onto the highway without looking, it cut off a Semi tralier (the double carraige truck???). the truck then had to slam on its breaks, as its tail wrapped sideways and almost rolled while the tyres smoked up the highway. As the smoke cleared i drove on and because of this experiance i will always make sure to be extra careful when entering highways especially with trucks as they arre so heavy and take a long time to stop.

basically, my point is, if you drive around for 20 hours with your parents around the local area. your not going to witness or experiance anything realistic. you will take the road for granted and think your invinsible and that nothing will go wrong. where as if you drive the 120 hours covering rainy, night, foggy caking things such as onditions driving on all types of roads,the chances are you will gain greater experiance and maybe even witness things that will alter your behaviour, for the better

However much the 120 hours can help a driver gain experiance, taking driver deffensive courses will help even more.

Edited by ML73ZR

^^ Couldnt agree more. The more situations you have, the more varied the experience you'll receive. Something else I dont really quite agree with, is the speed limits that are imposed on "learning" drivers; P platers too. I got my licence in the ACT, where speed restrictions arent 'forced' onto new drivers. I think that through the learning faze, this creates a more rounded driver.

Now, I know the roads in sydney and the ACT are quite different to each other.. but still, the thought is there.

answer to first post,

i am a green p-plater and i drive a r32 gts-t , i got my p-plates the day before the restrictions came into place.... the reason i am still on my p-plates is that when i was on my reds i renewed my licence instead of taking the greens test . i can go for my blacks next month- cant wait to get the little green target off my car...

hope that answers your question mate

cheers.

Hi guys,

I'm glad i found this thread, i am 20, green p plates and have now owned my 2nd Skyline (First one i sold to leave for the Army)

This new one is a '93 GTS-T, yes turbo.

I have a few pros and cons from this decision, here they are:

Pros:

- It's a beautiful car, hasnt been molested and has only a few mods (FMIC, wheels)

- I love Skylines as much as the next person. I have owned a BA Falcon, rx-8 and a Celica. I have always preferred the Skyline to these

- Pretty much i bought the car on sheer condition not " OMG fully sick hectic turbo!!!11!!one!"

Cons:

-Dad is a policeman, and living in the same small town word will definitely get around i shouldn't be driving it

- My job doesn't rely on my license but i have considered that it will have a significant impact on getting around for business purposes

I did take careful consideration into the responsibility of owning a high performance car of any kinda at my age. But all i can really say is at the end of the day you must be fully aware that at any stage you will be walking home, rather than driving.

Wow, yep i think i did eeed to get that off my chest haha

Hi guys,

I'm glad i found this thread, i am 20, green p plates and have now owned my 2nd Skyline (First one i sold to leave for the Army)

Pros:

- It's a beautiful car, hasnt been molested and has only a few mods (FMIC, wheels)

- I love Skylines as much as the next person. I have owned a BA Falcon, rx-8 and a Celica. I have always preferred the Skyline to these

- Pretty much i bought the car on sheer condition not " OMG fully sick hectic turbo!!!11!!one!"

Cons:

-Dad is a policeman, and living in the same small town word will definitely get around i shouldn't be driving it

- My job doesn't rely on my license but i have considered that it will have a significant impact on getting around for business purposes

I did take careful consideration into the responsibility of owning a high performance car of any kinda at my age. But all i can really say is at the end of the day you must be fully aware that at any stage you will be walking home, rather than driving.

Firstly..........How on earth does your father, a policeman allow you to drive a prohibited vehicle?

Secondly, do you have any idea what risk you put your father at by openly thumbing your nose at the law?

The next time he books, let alone arrests an offender he leaves himself wide open to condemnation or worse still double standards.

I'm sure his superiors would not be impressed........ It is an offence not to report or deal with an offence especially if you are a police officer.

Firstly..........How on earth does your father, a policeman allow you to drive a prohibited vehicle?

Secondly, do you have any idea what risk you put your father at by openly thumbing your nose at the law?

The next time he books, let alone arrests an offender he leaves himself wide open to condemnation or worse still double standards.

I'm sure his superiors would not be impressed........ It is an offence not to report or deal with an offence especially if you are a police officer.

ummm the thing about p plate laws is that "normal police officers" dont take notice as they dont give a shit about road rules as they are to busy attending to "real" police business. I have spoken to a cop who deals in assault/battery cases and even though he is a general duty officer if he saw a p plater driving a turbo he said, FROM HIS OWN MOUTH that he would let them go and be on their way as long as they are not ripping burn outs or doing anything wrong.

Im sure his father would have knowledge of the law but you must understand most general duty officers dont even know what a turbo looks like or the difference between a commodore or a falcon besides the badges which say ford or holden.

ummm the thing about p plate laws is that "normal police officers" dont take notice as they dont give a shit about road rules as they are to busy attending to "real" police business. I have spoken to a cop who deals in assault/battery cases and even though he is a general duty officer if he saw a p plater driving a turbo he said, FROM HIS OWN MOUTH that he would let them go and be on their way as long as they are not ripping burn outs or doing anything wrong.

Im sure his father would have knowledge of the law but you must understand most general duty officers dont even know what a turbo looks like or the difference between a commodore or a falcon besides the badges which say ford or holden.

Yes, sure.... I accept all of that but I'll guarantee you this..........

If his father booked me I and I knew his son drove a prohibited vehicle and he turned a blind eye to that, I could make his life very uncomfortable.

It is absolutely rediculous he would allow himself to be put in that position.

I stopped reading your post there. Everyone seems to know a mates cousins, friends, uncles nephew who has been driving their whole P's in a turbo vehicle.

Cops being lenient and letting people off? I don't know where you guys are from but NSW is not like that the slightest. I personally know of people driving their family C200 Kompressors not having any idea that their supercharged and losing their licence for it for 3 months. Heck ive even heard of people losing it for driving bloody 350z's due to them being on the banned list.

Its just not worth it doing especially in an import., you will get pulled over and you will lose your licence.

wrong, people get let off for it in nsw all the time!!! ive been a passenger in the car where p platers have been pulled over in their turbo cars up here in newcastle, on occasion the cops have let them off with a warning, and on 2 other occasions the cop didnt even realise the car was turboed, being too dumb to see front mount, turbo sticker, exhaust, etc

Hi guys,

Pros:

Cons:

:domokun: think before you post dumb shit- you should be driving a prius or a micra

Yes, sure.... I accept all of that but I'll guarantee you this..........

If his father booked me I and I knew his son drove a prohibited vehicle and he turned a blind eye to that, I could make his life very uncomfortable.

It is absolutely rediculous he would allow himself to be put in that position.

THATS THE THING HIS FATHER DOESNT WORK IN HIGHWAY PATROL............. I guess that because people on this forums are so involved in cars they only concern themselves with laws that directly affect them. I bet if you asked any average joe about the severity of a p plater driving a turbo car they would say its not that illegal (being a 7 demerit fine) over say someone who is doing 30-45+ in a school zone and only lose i think 6 demerit points.

WOW, this got out of hand real quick.

I wasn't saying i have immunity or anything special, clearly people need to read and then not make assumptions.

At the end of the day it's the choice you, (OP), make towards what vehicle you drive.

A note to the people posting 'Ah his dad's a cop its a conflict of interest etc'. I am fully aware of this, but really have a look around at the idiot driving these days with low performance vehicles (Excel, Commodore). i understand it is illegal, but if i was a 'hoon' driver i it wouldnt matter what car i had, id still manage to make it do something illegal, and we can see these examples all over the news =(

I am definately not saying i have immunity or anything BS like that, my point was how i made the decision on my Skyline and passing this message on to those who would be interested (the OP)

I'm sure im not the only p plater out there doing something they aren't supposed to be doing.

Cheers.