SAU Community

Got my auto serviced, i told the workshop i wanted firmer gear shifts but not necessarily a shift kit...they locked the accumaltors and this has made a great difference. gear changes are nice and firm and when driven hard can feel the difference the most. 1st to 2nd gear change can chirp on wet road.not bad paid $170 for the mod auto service incuded...

Edited by rgr34

Yeah welsh plugs in the 1-2 2-3 shift accumulators, done it to my Stagea and so have a couple of others. Makes a HUGE difference! Mine more than chirps though.. in 2WD, get on boost in 1st, click 2nd and it's super happy sideways lunchbox time :banana:

its a great mod im surprised how much of a difference it makes. good enough for a street car.. how long have you had yours done any issues with the auto?

Edited by rgr34

Had it for almost a year and no dramas (I did break something but not due to the firmer shifts.. trying to drop a 2nd skid on semi slicks straight after the first.. snapped the oil pump drive on the torque converter :( ).

I was having major problems with shifts, especially 1-2, due to the Haltech that had been wired in as a piggyback. I had to either bounce the limiter or lift off the gas to get it to go in. Now, it's pretty well instant.

The downshift from 2nd to 1st is awesome, instant wheelspin when in 2WD :banana:

Yeah you could say that :ermm:

I will go out on a limb and say while it won't hold more power (because it's the same amount of fluid, need to drill bigger holes for that), it will help the gearbox live longer as there is far less slip on the bands. The shock loading may damage other things over time (such as flex plate) but I haven't noticed it. Going to look at getting billet flex plate machined up before the replacement box gets here (still ~4 weeks away :( ).

You guys make it sound so simple, can any competent AutoTransmission shop do this for me, switch the springs with these welsh plug things for faster and harder shift ?. Im up for a automatic service anyway and i wouldnt mind requesting one of these for a reasonable price. Could i ask where you got this done, im down in sydney and dont know any good Automatic shop.

Yep any competent auto trans place should be able to do it. Drop the pan and valve body, there will be 4 accumulators (basically a sprung piston in a chamber the fluid flows through). The middle two are the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, from memory I think you need 50mm welsh plugs.