SAU Community

Diy Carbon Fiber Body Parts

I'm not trolling or anything but how hard is it to make your own carbon fiber body panels like bonnet, bumpers and trunk etc I realize you need the materials and tools but couldn't the average Joe learn how to make them? I know F1 teams have labs and all but people make sub boxes and dash boards. I mean....how hard can it be :D (Not a Top Gear reference). Either way I've seen people vacuum bag parts in their garages. The reason is carbon fiber parts are EXPENSIVE. Isn't it the aussie way to DIY?? We could even make quality parts and share molds and materials. By the way I haven't seen any CF fabricators in AUS, anyone know any professionals who make body parts? I'm sure there are, I mean all the race teams. Also do the V8 Supercars use CF or aluminum parts?

Edited by sikmatesubwoofa

yes v8 supercars use some CF parts.

there is a thread in the DIY section, or is it the fabrication section (most likely in there), where a guy made a carbon fibre lip for his front bar.

as for how easy it is to work with, it isn't that much different to fibreglass for making simply things. for making more complex items then you really need balloon molds (that's how bike frames are made), etc to make the initial shape and then you lay on extra carbon. i think the cost is a fair bit more than fibreglass though.

The thing is how do you find a place to make the molds for you? Now Skylines have alot of carbon fiber options but other cars don't and the only way is custom, I don't know why there's aren't alot of fabricators as it is a profitable skill. I was talking more like carbon roof, bumper, trunk, hood etc etc. A lip is easy compared to those. Interior parts are also easier as strength isn't really that much of an issue compared to body parts. Also getting a part to fit like the factory counterpart is an issue.

The thing is how do you find a place to make the molds for you? Now Skylines have alot of carbon fiber options but other cars don't and the only way is custom, I don't know why there's aren't alot of fabricators as it is a profitable skill. I was talking more like carbon roof, bumper, trunk, hood etc etc. A lip is easy compared to those. Interior parts are also easier as strength isn't really that much of an issue compared to body parts. Also getting a part to fit like the factory counterpart is an issue.

you make them yourself. if you know what you are doing then it isn't hard. as for carbon panels, well they are illegal for road use so there isn't a huge market for them. as for why there aren't more people doing it, it isn't as profitable as you think. by the time you take into account materials and labour time, it is more expensive than fibreglass. fibreglass runs out at under $10 per metre, while carbon cloth is up around $100 per metre, so you could probably make a fibreglass item, including labour cost for just the cost of the materials of a carbon item.

By the way I haven't seen any CF fabricators in AUS, anyone know any professionals who make body parts?

I could name 20 companies manufacturing carbon fibre parts in Australia

I suggest you learn to use the search function

My brother makes fibre glass boot enclosures alot and it is in no way his profession. Cf would be a little more difficult I suspect as you are also concerned with how it looks so need to get the pattern nice and neat.

funny thing with carbon fibre is that it doesn't actually look like what you see. that is just a cosmetic weave that is generally used for the top layer. the majority of carbon fibre is just matt black.

That is true but generally when people speak of the stuff they imagine the woven carbon fibre. If that is the case I would say its no different than general moulding and fibre glassing then applying the cf look overlay and sealing it.

I could name 20 companies manufacturing carbon fibre parts in Australia

I suggest you learn to use the search function

Sorry man I did search but couldn't find any, maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Can you give me some of those company names I would really appreciate it.

By the way, Mingy, I was talking about functional gain, not looks, it would probably be painted anyway.

functional carbon requires alot of R&D or you will gain all the weight your trying to save just to get it strong enough (depending on strength required)

molds can be made quite easily for bonnets and panels etc from an existing metal item as long as you have the stock part to make the mold from and alot of room. strengthening and which way to lay the weave on the mat is another story all together. forget about the roof as its part of the shell of the car, its about the only panel that never gets done (unless its a BMW)

I've been seriously considering on making some carbon fibre parts myself. There are heaps of items around the car I'd like to make moulds of and fabricate. Some time soon.....

If you considering on doing the DIY I'd suggest this site,everything you need for carbon fibre DIY. They're based in the UK though.

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry man I did search but couldn't find any, maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Can you give me some of those company names I would really appreciate it.

Where are you located?