SAU Community

Noob Question: Cam Chain

Hi all, tried posting in newb esection, nlooks like no one goes there. I'm looking to buy a Stagea and have been told the following (see discussion below). Can you please advise how accurate this comment is? It suprised that a cam chain would require the same service intervals as a belt...

"..why would it have a new cam chain installed??..especially after 87K kms. Is there a full engine history to prove that there has been no engine damage? ..."Hi the Stagea Engine has a cam chain in it which is very long in length and over time it stretches and makes a noise being abit lose the hydric tensioner over time maxes out and this is why new ones need to be installed all of them will need it done at one stage or another usually around 100km that is why all of them I import usually get done. 9:49 am, Mon 25 Jul

"But, the whole point of the chain is that it does not need to be changed at usual cam belt intervals. If tensioners are failing oil changes must have been irregular"..." Well, Not sure your under standing, cam chains were never designed to never be changed, they were designed never to snap.Being a v6 this chain is twice the length of an ordaining chain thus it will stretch and coarse the timing to go out which in turn make the car run not to factory setting and Tensioners do not fail .. 2:34 pm, Mon 25 Jul

that is assuming the tensioner mechanisim is lubricated by engine oil circulation. Anyway thanks for answering..." Best thing is to go buy any Stagea in NZ which has not had the cam chain done and wait to under stand what I am talking about being ive had over 12 done as it is common practice with them..

so whats the deal on chain vs belt? :)

im assuming youre talking about the M35 VQ equipped engine?

if you ever have to change the timing chain in the life of the car, id be very surprised. that means someone didnt change the oil. ever.

the chain will stretch yes, but they have a tensioner to take up the slack.

youll never have to change it.

I know its not Stagea, but I had an RMR30 that did 600ks on the original chain. Currently running an MR30 with 300Ks. The chains never seem to wear out with regular service.

As the others have said, you shouldn't need to change a chain.

I have over 220,000kms on my M35 Stagea and never had the chain changed.

"100,000km change-over" is for timing belts on the RB powered C34 Stagea's.

As an aside, an engine with a timing chain will be noisier than one with a belt.

you rekon??

i think the russians did a video on how to change it. looks like a massive PITA!

if you did one on an SR20, you need to change your driving habits :P

As an aside, an engine with a timing chain will be noisier than one with a belt.

Cant be any harder than an SR20 lol

the main reason I stopped posting in here is because of all the idiots that dont know their arse from their elbow giving bullshit advice that will lead any unsuspecting noob to really stuff things up. The above posts confirm how right I was

The chains never seem to wear out with regular service.

Hugh, once again, your talents and experience are wasted on these idiots, but thank you for giving me hope that this forum is not totally slowly morphing into a petri dish of retards, window lickers and mouth breathers, challenged only in size by the commenters on youtube.

Thanks to all of you. I know everyone has varying levels of hands-on experience and skills, so I appreciate all feedback and accept that not always 100% accurate. Looks like the dealer I quoted was talking through his reear-end LOL...no suprise there :)

Edited by nostagea

the main reason I stopped posting in here is because of all the idiots that dont know their arse from their elbow giving bullshit advice that will lead any unsuspecting noob to really stuff things up. The above posts confirm how right I was

Please excuse our idiocity your highness.

Nice of you to take the time to post such a helpful post.

Now if you don't mind, I have to get back to searching for a belt drive that is noisier than a chain drive.

Hugh, once again, your talents and experience are wasted on these idiots, but thank you for giving me hope that this forum is not totally slowly morphing into a petri dish of retards, window lickers and mouth breathers, challenged only in size by the commenters on youtube.

Then continue to not post in here?

My last comment about the SR20 was a joke, so how about you get your head out of your ass?

Ah what up hater!

Edited by JayM35

And I also see a trend in here of ongoing personal attacks between the owners of 2 models of cars, not to mention far too many threads deteriorating into shit fights, or going so far off topic no-one whould ever guess what the original topic was

The purpose of this forum is to share information and experience on Stageas, not to practice arguing on the internet. Plenty of other places you can try that. And anyone that feel the needs to just talk about random off topic stuff already has a whore thread here to do that in. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/342557-this-is-the-new-recipe-chat-thread/

So how about every grows up a little so I don't have to go on a banning spree again? Particularly the "senior" members who have been here a while, how about you focus on creating a positive community, and welcoming new people to it.

Please try to stay on topic Duncan. :P

The only time I changed a noisy chain it was a failed tensioner, much more common than you think for a mechanical spring style tensioner to fail, hydraulic ones I have never seen a problem with.

and what tensioner is in a VQ engine??

SR20s had a problem when you used oil too thick, or thin, i cant remember which. and the chain rattled on startup and idle. sounded like a diesel lol

im glad the VQ doesnt do that!