SAU Community

Series II turbo. 220rwkw and beyond?

Hi guys. listen, theres this guy in NZ that has an rb20 with a series I rb25 turbo. Hes running 13psi through an evo intercooler and is tuned with 450cc injectors and safcII. With this he's running 215rwkw. with discusion it seems this turbo should be able to support upto 19psi on the 2 litre with correct tunning, the only problem being it spools just a tad later.

that being the case, what do you think is the potential power output of this combination?

furthermore, if we were to use the series II turbo (better spoolup because of the nylon compressor wheel and slightly more efficient.) could this potentialy produce more? :bat:

thoughts please. ( especially yours sydneykid.)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13psi and 215rwkw.. I think your dyno's read much much higher than ours.

I've been in a R32 with a RB25 turbo, FMIC and there was no way that was making any where near 215rwkw. More like 160rwkw.

Over in SA on our Dyno Dynamic rolling roads the max a RB25 turbo has made on a RB25DET is around 210-220rwkw. THat was on 1.1bar from memory.

I wouldn't push the turbo past 17psi for mild street use.

If you are a bit of a thrasher the heat will kill the turbo.

Nylon compressor, I've heard of them exploding and throwing bits through the motor.

Do a few searches sprint.

Most I think you will make is around 190rwkw on a DD Dyno.

have you tried adjusting the spark plug gap? ( i find the spark breaks down after 10 psi) have you tried to get the mixtures closer to 12.2 to 1? Just ask R32 GT on skylinesdownunder.com.nz (I think you know him), He's got the runs on the board.

And why does everyone always make these excuses about dyno's reading differently in NZ? that's just nonsense surely.

sorry, I dont mean this as an attack on you at all, infact its not directed at anyone in particular, it's just that alot of people dont go about doing the small things to make the combustion process more efficient before progressing, and because of this I think people are not realising the real potential of there combinations.

alot of people say that rb20 turbo's are only good for 160rwkw's. Well, ATS has made 200!! Kind of makes you think hey.

besides, NZ has nothing BUT imports, so they have alot more experience than we do over here FACT, like it or leave it. (I know, I hate to give the kiwi's anything too but they do) So perhaps we ALL need to rethink our setups and spending habits.

sorry mate but the dynos must read higher.

u think us guys go to all the trouble of modifying our cars, but dont consider spark plug changes and proper ecu tunes, hahah cmon man.

who wouldnt spend thousands on modifying cars, then neglect somethin as important as sparkies which only cost a few bucks each.

Give a bit of credit.. its just not possible and there are fundemental limits of any components on any car due to simple physics.. and if it was people would have discovered it by now. Unless you somehow mananged to cryogenically freeze the turbo or something crazy, or somehow reduce the turbulance going into the compressor. Not going to happen.

I'm not saying we all do, but alot of people dont, and because of that the miss out on power they already could have had when they go and buy the next penis extension turbo thats not suited to there purpose, thats all. Now I dont want heaps of hate mail over this but we all know there are guys that ARE too lazy or ignorant (not in a bad way and not there fault.)

For instance, a mate of mine took his series 2 to a shop and staight away the tuner said his 600x280x70 PWR cooler wouldn't be any good for more than 200 kw at the flywheel (hmmm) and aparently after doing there best with the wolf 3d v4 the best they could do was 160 rwkw at 10 psi because apparently "after that the turbo fryed the air too much to make any more power". Took it home and changed the gap from there 1.1 to 0.8 and gained a shit load of power (double hmmm) we then checked the a/f ratios on the dyno sheet. It runs above 13.5 till 500rpm after the peak torque (do I have to say it?) and then promptly swung down to 10.5 to 11.0 on boost (.......). And then had the gall to ask him to pay for THAT!!! he did as he doesnt know any better. And alot of people dont realize there missing out on this power.

We later found that "Scotty at vern crawford mechanical in townsville" (the bloke who 'tuned' it) is great if you want someone to tune your carby fed V8. So good infact that he doesnt need a dyno, he does it by ear, best man around. (HMMMMMMMMMMM). there's alot of these guys out there.

Lol.

And why does everyone always make these excuses about dyno's reading differently in NZ? that's just nonsense surely.

Sprint32.

You have just proven to my self your little you know and understand.

Dyno's giving different readouts is not an excuse it is a fact.

What brand dyno's do u blokes use in NZ?

Over here we use a rolling road Dyno Dynamics. Well most of us do anyway.

With around 200rwkw the R33's over hear (providing they can drive) generally run low 13's.

Sprint32,

As I understand it R32 GTS-t's only dyno so far has shown a maximum of 180rwkw, granted it was at a low level of boost, however it doesn't mean 215rwkw if the boost is turned up (that is specualtion till the dyno run is actually done). If you have different info please feel free to post up the dyno chart.

Guest INASNT

Sprint32

U can make a stock skyline read 300rwkw if u plug enough bs figures into the shootout mode data.

If u look at the compressor flow map of a stock r33 turbo it cannot produce enough air for 213rwkw. Just because u chuck big injectors etc in means nothing if the turbo cant supply the engine with enough air to make the power.

actually that 180 rwkw figure was with the standard intercooler/fuel system and an untuned safc II. He HAS since produced the higher figure. See it for yourself on skylinesdownunder.com.nz 'RB25 turbo on RB20'.

As far as I know ALL RWKW figures are produced on a rolling road dyno!! lol

INASNT: how do you know YOUR figures aren't bs? Your so ready to say his are.

As far as I know a kilowatt is a kilowatt no matter what country your in. I know all dynos read a little differently but 35rwkw. Can anyone tell me why this phenomenon would occur?

look, This will be my last post for a while as my next one will be like a novel so I'm going to make it a word document with scanned maps, charts, etc at work and then post that to show you my reasoning for this sort of power. bit dissapointed not to hear from sydneykid, still, it was good to talk.

because his turbo is rated a a certain hp off the shelf. then once it was put on the car, it mathced what it is rated to.

im sorry mate but no way on a stock ecu with only safc can a car make that sort of power. no way a stock coolered r32 makes 180rwkws, the only possible explanation is that they dyno is very high reading ''(read 20-30%) or that someone has played with the dyno printout.

Guest INASNT
actually that 180 rwkw figure was with the standard intercooler/fuel system and an untuned safc II. He HAS since produced the higher figure. See it for yourself on skylinesdownunder.com.nz 'RB25 turbo on RB20'.

As far as I know ALL RWKW figures are produced on a rolling road dyno!! lol

INASNT: how do you know YOUR figures aren't bs? Your so ready to say his are.

As far as I know a kilowatt is a kilowatt no matter what country your in. I know all dynos read a little differently but 35rwkw. Can anyone tell me why this phenomenon would occur?

look, This will be my last post for a while as my next one will be like a novel so I'm going to make it a word document with scanned maps, charts, etc at work and then post that to show you my reasoning for this sort of power. bit dissapointed not to hear from sydneykid, still, it was good to talk.

Theres a thing called photoshop!! LOL

Or unless he is using one of those "Very Special Boost Controllers"!!! :)

If u want to believe that bullshit then do so, but dont try come in here trying to convince us of this bullshit when most of us have gone through the modification process step by step and have had many dyno tunes, so we know what these cars are capable of.

Yes but you all seem to be having a little trouble reading. This may be HIS result with JUST a safcII, But he DOES have other trinkets as said in the "FIRST POST", However my point is that there may be more to gain with a 'CORRECT TUNE'. I know I said it 'cause I was sitting here when I said IT.

EnricoPalazzo: I have no idea what your on about with this 'of the shelf turbo rating', you seem to missunderstand what turbo i'm talking about.

Shut down, thats dissapointing. I joined this forum because I thought we were above V8 falcadore mentality. I was actually hopeing for a thought provoking and inteligent discusion ending with some new idea's people would be willing to try. The whole idea why we bought these cars is because we're interested in doing things smarter, not harder. I've done all manner of V8's and other pushrod low tech engines and started this as something with a bit more of a chalenge. It seems to me that the biggest challenge is that people believe too much of what they hear or read. But then, who thought you'd be able to get 250rwkw out of the stock soarer turbo combination. No-one? Martin Donnan did. This was my point. push the limit and when you think you've reached it, look again. Because theres always something that affects the entire system, enabeling more to be done in an area you previously thought was maxed out.

Instead we'll do the pile of crabs in the bucket thing.

:werd:

I would say something more, but INASNT has said it for me.

RB25 turbo, on an RB20, will not make 215-220+ REALISTIC RWKW

If he wants to prove us wrong, good, tell him to hit the drag strip and bring some times home for us all to... look *cough*laugh*cough* at.

Guest INASNT
Yes but you all seem to be having a little trouble reading. This may be HIS result with JUST a safcII, But he DOES have other trinkets as said in the "FIRST POST", However my point is that there may be more to gain with a 'CORRECT TUNE'. I know I said it 'cause I was sitting here when I said IT.

EnricoPalazzo: I have no idea what your on about with this 'of the shelf turbo rating', you seem to missunderstand what turbo i'm talking about.

Shut down, thats dissapointing. I joined this forum because I thought we were above V8 falcadore mentality. I was actually hopeing for a thought provoking and inteligent discusion ending with some new idea's people would be willing to try. The whole idea why we bought these cars is because we're interested in doing things smarter, not harder. I've done all manner of V8's and other pushrod low tech engines and started this as something with a bit more of a chalenge. It seems to me that the biggest challenge is that people believe too much of what they hear or read. But then, who thought you'd be able to get 250rwkw out of the stock soarer turbo combination. No-one? Martin Donnan did. This was my point. push the limit and when you think you've reached it, look again. Because theres always something that affects the entire system, enabeling more to be done in an area you previously thought was maxed out.

Instead we'll do the pile of crabs in the bucket thing.

what car do u own and have u had any first hand experience with a r32/33/34 skyline??? Do u actually know anything about skylines or r u just going by what u have read somewhere else.

So how much actual power has it made at the wheels?? has it made 215 or is that what u 'think' it will make with a safc 2???

As for the zoom power figures, they dont have good 1/4 mile times to back it up.