SAU Community

Buying A New Set Of Tools !

I have always used 'cheap shit' tools and yet to have any break. If I lose them I dont care, if they get scratched i dont care, therfore I have nothing to worry about.

If your going to get some spanners I suggest getting some ratchet spanners, you have no idea how useful they are.

I have always used 'cheap shit' tools and yet to have any break. If I lose them I dont care, if they get scratched i dont care, therfore I have nothing to worry about.

If your going to get some spanners I suggest getting some ratchet spanners, you have no idea how useful they are.

Spanners and stuff, I agree, but not ratchets. I've bent and broken cheap ratchets. Lashed out on a Supatool set and they have been flawless. Solid feel, positive ratcheting mechanism and thus far have proved tough.

The rest of my set is real cheapo stuff. Although I am tempted to shout myself a full set of ratcheting spanners

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod233.htm

:worship:

yer ratcheting tools are good.

this is my favourite tool - 92 tooth ratchet SnapOn-RatchetHead-1.jpg

and 8 -19 stumpy single hex sockets, 8 - 19 long single hex sockets. i also got the same ratchet in 1/4 drive

and long double ended ratchet spanners and 7-19 combination ratcheting spanners with swivel heads, but there blue point. so handy

which reminds me i gotta pay the snap on guy some money tomorrow :(

supatool good? really? I've seen them at bunnings in massive sets for really cheap but when i was shopping for my tools I didnt want to go for anything too cheap .. i went and got repco stuff, very happy with it :)

perhaps ill get some supatool stuff someday to try it out ..

If you want gear that's right for the job, you can't buy it on the net.

You need to hold it, feel the weight and especially the length of ring/open enders.

Used some Stahwille ringies and they're just way too long. You'll break everything using such over engineered spanners.

Check the offset on the head, sometimes you want it flat, other times you need the offset to work the spanner, usually means you need a selection of spanners to cover everything.

Special purpose spanners like Starter spanners (half moon, C) are so handy but their price has to weighed up against the frequency of use.

But most of all forget the A/F offerings unless you particularly work with SAE stuff. Companies fill up their sets with A/F to look good but you rarely use them and they just add clutter.

Sidchrome are finally selling full metric socket sets. (model 19230 is very handy)

Sure Snap-On has the name but its cost is way out there. Dad has some Snap-On stuff, sockets must be over 70 years old.

As for the lifetime guarantee, it seems companies require proof of purchase these days, so keep that docket.

But most of all forget the A/F offerings unless you particularly work with SAE stuff. Companies fill up their sets with A/F to look good but you rarely use them

Unless you are into older - pre '80's or american stuff - cars and bikes etc. and some cars even had a mix of both for a while

and its surprising the number of suppliers of a/f, n/f etc for other non auto jobs like plumping and sheds etc

but not skylines

i have stanley tools, im on them 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. without issue.

They are great.

i dont like sidchrome ratchets because of their direction changing mechanism, you accidently bump it all the time, i also dont like their spanners, they are too long imo.

I dont like sidchrome ratchets because of their direction changing mechanism, you accidently bump it all the time

Exactly right, especially the 1/4" drive which infuriates me by constantly switching itself to no ratchet.

But you can't tell this from the net, has to be hands on.

i have stanley tools, im on them 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. without issue.

They are great.

i dont like sidchrome ratchets because of their direction changing mechanism, you accidently bump it all the time, i also dont like their spanners, they are too long imo.

That's good to know.

I've never used anything Stanley beyond their screwdrivers, so based on this I'll check em out next time I'm looking for tools.

And I agree with the Sidchrome direction thing. I've had the same problem in the past and it's fecking annoying.

i have used quite a few different types of tools, thanks to parents, siblings and work experience, but if i was to buy something for around the home and was going to be buying a full tool kit, with box and cab, then i would be looking at kincrome, SP tool, or repco, they generally have some good packages which will give you like almost everything you need, and are generally less the $10,000, this sort of thing to me is a good idea as i can then pass them down to the kids.

Yeah only pay for a metric only set. I have imperial spanners in the bottom of the tool chest I never use (my Dad's stuff).

I have bought some KC Tools stuff lately and it seems really good and it is cheap. I also have JBS ratchet spanners which I can't fault. The only item I really need now is deep offset ring spanners (75° deep).

Yeah if you have a Japanese car there is no point getting an imperial spanner/socket set.

http://www.sidchrome.com.au/product/7443/33-piece-12-drive-socket-set-metric

Dunno how it stacks up price wise but it should be ok. About $200?

Also a good product are these:

http://www.toolworks.com.au/sp10334-14pc-stubby-flexhead-metric-geardrive-spanner-set.html

Never seen that combo elsewhere. Shame about the price, however.

These are also well owrth having:

https://www.alltools.com.au/shop/index.php/350/1337_TPI_Thread_Gauge_Metric_&_Imperial_