SAU Community

How Much Boost?

Room42

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you haters are crazy.

id love to see 2 r33 turbos in a twin set up.

less laggy, more useable power on the street then a big big single.

who cares if they end up breaking, they are cheap as piss to replace.

And you can build the setup for under a grand easily.

you haters are crazy.

id love to see 2 r33 turbos in a twin set up.

less laggy, more useable power on the street then a big big single.

who cares if they end up breaking, they are cheap as piss to replace.

And you can build the setup for under a grand easily.

Not less laggy. More laggy. You're using turbos designed for 2.5L and only running them with 1.5L. And then you still have crappy ceramic wheels that can't reliably take more than 12psi at the most.

And who cares if they blow? You realize there is the possibility of taking the motor with them right?

Edited by Hanaldo

I agree. More lag, and much more risk of losing an engine. If a wheel explodes when you're offend throttle at high revs, with the throttle body shut, and the ability for the engine to suck back from the exhaust, if it pulled some bits of turbo into the cylinder, boom.

You'll have about a $3k rebuild on your hands. New pistons, rings, bearings, bore, hone, etc.

Standards really are a bad idea. Especially with unknown kms

i disagree, for starters, whats wrong with just running 12 psi?? you have the potential to make minimum 300kw and it will definately make that power earlier in the rev range then a big single will.

also, a huge amount of people push more then 12psi through 33 turbos all day anyway with no issue, chances of damaging motor... slim.

i think its a good idea, cheap easy driveable power.

go for it!

Not less laggy. More laggy. You're using turbos designed for 2.5L and only running them with 1.5L. And then you still have crappy ceramic wheels that can't reliably take more than 12psi at the most.

And who cares if they blow? You realize there is the possibility of taking the motor with them right?

Lol of course I have "done my homework" and if I wanted to (and kept the missus happy) I could go out and buy whatever setup i chose tomorrow, paid in cash. I've already posted how much this is going to cost. I don't pay a mechanic or a welder/fabricator to work on it as I have extensive experience in these industries. The flanges are in the mail as I type and should arrive this week. It will be built as soon as all the parts arrive. As most are aware the r33 s2 turbo spools up real early. Maybe some have forgotten what a stock turbo feels like on a 25. On a 30 it will be way to small. Hence 2 turbo's. I just went for a drive to see how early the single spools up. 4th gear from about 40 kph. 12 psi at 2200. 14.5psi at 2500 rpm. I could probably get it to spool 100 rpm earlier with a change in the tune but it might be a bit hot. Also that is with only a bleed valve and a spring on the outside of the actuator that holds 9.5 psi. Those pressures are at the manifold btw. I tried holding the brake and it went to 14.5 at 2300. Have a look here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYW_7gltGVo Its a bit wonky but if you pause it you can see it. If you see my other one its a bit old.

If you want original, why not three?

Believe me I had that idea already. Intake and exhaust piping isn't that much more difficult to knock up so to speak. It would be a tight fit tho. I haven't researched 3 either, ie :which turbos to use. I'll stick with 2 for now. I've sussed it all out and it should work pretty good.

88cameron88, this was actually a 2.5 litre. With a well set up gt3076, water meth injection, and lots of tuning to perfection done by me, it was a weapon.

I think in the lower gears it was a little higher. More like 4,000 rpm to make 12psi.

But, I think our friend here that says he's done his homework doesn't realise that when my gt3076 is making 12psi, it's a lot more flow than his standard turbo at 12psi.

Hence why all if the reasoning here is poorly thought out.

Standards early? No.

R33 bush turbo spooling earlier than a ball bearing Garrett? No.

Laggy? Yes.

Risky? Yes.

Time wasting? My opinion, yes. More time wasted stuffing around with a setup that won't work instead of driving it on a track.

well I reckon we can start placing bets on this.

I'll take 'Its never gunna happen' for the win :laugh:

Ok bud. You're on. But since you wont pay up when you lose so you can just look like a cock instead. :thumbsup: I'll keep ya posted lol

Whilst I still side with the majority on the silliness of the idea, one point comes to mind ref the boost limits and safety.

If 12psi is the sensible limit on the standard turbo on 2.5 litres, then you will be able to run much more boost at the same shaft speed when it's only working a 1.5 litre half engine. Just like using a 25 turbo on a 20, only better. Higher boost = higher exhaust temperatures of course, especially with tuning that is leaner than standard, so perhaps you can't drive them up to silly high boost (or what seems silly when talking about these turbos), but it should at least be a lot less likely to spit turbines off at 12psi than we've all been assuming so far.

That said, if you (the OP) are still intent on doing twins, for christ's sake, don't use Nissan turbos. The TD04s I talked about are just as plentiful, just as cheap, physically smaller and better suited to pairing up on a 2.5L.

Geez calm down everyone. I'm going to do this no matter what. I couldn't give two f**ks if its better or worse than anything else. Its just something to do that cost bugger all. Refer to the initial question.Tha'ts all I was thinking about. I have researched out the arse. I know that other setups work better. I don't care either. IVF works better than sex so are you all going to give up rooting? I thought not. :iluvff:

IVF works better than sex so are you all going to give up rooting?

Only if you're trying to make babies. And if you're aiming to do that every time you have sex, then you're doing it wrong.

I think there's a message in there for you.

Only if you're trying to make babies. And if you're aiming to do that every time you have sex, then you're doing it wrong.

I think there's a message in there for you.

We're actually trying for a baby atm. But tha'ts a bit off topic isn't it. This twin setup isn't anything that I or anyone should lose sleep over. I'm doing it for fun. It will work no doubt. Might not compare to new ball bearing turbos. Doesn't matter tho. Just out of curiosity....who here has done this or are we all guessing, no matter how educated the guess may be?

But, I think our friend here that says he's done his homework doesn't realise that when my gt3076 is making 12psi, it's a lot more flow than his standard turbo at 12psi.

Mate if you reckon that then how could I have any idea about how to do this? What am I 15 :no:?

Hence why all if the reasoning here is poorly thought out. Who mentioned reasoning? Like I said its for cheap fun.

Standards early? No. Never said it would be. Guessing about 4k at full boost with ebc.

R33 bush turbo spooling earlier than a ball bearing Garrett? No. Never said this either

Laggy? Yes. Slightly less than twice as much as standard

Risky? Yes. Half as risky as standard.

Time wasting? My opinion, yes. More time wasted stuffing around with a setup that won't work instead of driving it on a track. Not interested in a track mate. If doing car stuff is a waste of time catch a bus or walk.