SAU Community

R33 Wont Start After Turbo Swap? Help Please

miga24

Hey guys I have little problem, over the weekend I swapped the turbo on my r33 to a turbo from an r34, it want all that hard or complicated mostly fiddly.

After I put everything back together the car started for about 3 seconds and turned off, after which it would just crank but wouldn’t start.

I went and checked a few things:

* Air intake and suction from turbo is there and good.

*The coil packs work fine and working.

*The fuel pump relay clicks so it works.

**BUT when I unplugged the fuel feed line to the engine and went to crank it, NO fuel came out, SO fuel is not getting to the engine.

I went and got a fuel pump from a guy off SAU but same again, I went and got another fuel pump and same result again, no fuel to engine.

Im thinking it cant be 2 dud fuel pumps in a row, but there is also no noise coming from the pump when its outside the tank and plugged in, im not sure if there is supposed to be any tho.

Has anyone had this problem??? any help appreciated

the thing thats got me puzzled is no fuel pisses out when i unplug the fuel hose leading to the injectors. everything seems to work so what could have went bust in that one day, that restricts the fuel??

Can you hear the pump prime? Are you getting power on pump switch? If its priming it has to be getting fuel. Go to your fuel tank lid nd unplug feed hose and stick another hose on and into a container And orime pump see if anything comes out?

ok when i have the pump outside the fuel tank, but i plug everything in, and turn the key, i cant hear anything, i was pretty sure there was meant to be some kind of noise, so im guessing its not priming? what could that mean? im not so good with electrical stuff :/

Unplug the pump get two wires and connect it directly to the batt. to see if it works.

If it does, get a multimeter or if you dont have one use a park light/indicator bulb or similar get two wires and connect it to where the pump would normally plug in and see if you get power when the ign is switched on

There is also a relay for the pump...check that as well

thanks dude, ill check that tomorrow, i have a mate coming over with his 33 to compare how things should be working.

where are all the relays and fuses, i have checked the ones in the boot only.

also could it be that the ECU is not powering the pump? ive been looking on other posts on SAU but they just end randomly no one says how they fixed their problem ><

I think i found a similar problem, reversed into the garage everything was fine few hours later no fuel, pump not priming, most likely a ground wire loose somewhere

link: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/188298-car-wont-start-need-urgent-help/page__p__3397140__hl__fuel+pump+not+priming+__fromsearch__1#entry3397140

Tp condirm your pump works connect 12 v directly to it. You said the trigger switch gives power so thats fine, next check if the piwer wire to the pump is on when igntion turns on if that works check that the ground wire is still grounding.

From the first post it sounds like you could have fitted the fuel lines the wrong way around under the hood. I think everyone has done this at one time or another.But if the pump is out the car and no priming then this isn't the case

Edited by Room42

Ok fellas PROBLEM SOLVED and i feel like a total idiot, i conected the pump directly to the battery and it started priming, so i went back to square one and went to check the fuses again, First f**ki*g fuse i puled out was buggered, turns out when i checked it the first time i pulled out the wrong fuse :/

bloody moron i am, 3 minutes of work turned into 3 days lol

Thanks to all that tried to help i learnt a few things,hopefuly this thread helps others with a similar problem

p.s new turbo feels like im driving a totaly new car :)

i know hey, oh well... um why it blew no fricken clue, never had any problems with fuses before i just chucked another one in, ill investigate if it blows again, feels so good to have my car back :)

Fuel Pump fuses can blow if the return was blocked and the pump loaded up. also if the fuel pump is on its way out. some cars also blow the fuse if the car gets a sudden movement like in a crash not sure with r33 tho