SAU Community

Engine Stalled Wont Start

TiTAN

Did u get it running yet Titan

No not yet. I am waiting to rule out the CAS and ignitor as problems, failing that it has been suggested to me that it could be an ecu fault or a short somewhere in the loom (neither of which i really want it to be)

There's a fair crack of deviation between those compression readings, isn't there? They're all high - but 175 and 160 :S

a little bit but it could be a build up of carbon from all the failed starting or just one of those random high readings. the tester i used can only be done up hand tight and relies on a rubber O ring to seal around the spark plug hole, could that effect it? maybe.

No not yet. I am waiting to rule out the CAS and ignitor as problems, failing that it has been suggested to me that it could be an ecu fault or a short somewhere in the loom (neither of which i really want it to be)

a little bit but it could be a build up of carbon from all the failed starting or just one of those random high readings. the tester i used can only be done up hand tight and relies on a rubber O ring to seal around the spark plug hole, could that effect it? maybe.

Compression test is a good test but its never definite. If you are even one turn loose there could be that tiny bit of air leaking giving an off reading. As you also stated, the could be carbon build up in a particular cylinder which will raise the pressure as it will technically be taking up its own volume in the cylinder.

I spent about an hour today with my brother on his car trying to get it started for the first time. That whole hour we were adjusting and working on timing. It would crank and crank, give fuel, crank some more but never start. When we started getting timing close you could hear it sputter and try to start, a little more and bam it ran. I would suspect its your spark, some how, for some reason not igniting. Compression seems solid which would mean both the block and head are in working order mechanically. It takes 4 things to run an engine, spark, air, fuel and compression. You've got compression.... What are you missing? Be careful when fiddling with your spark, I don't know if it can occur during cranking but pre ignition wouldn't be good.

Edited by SargeRX8

Hey mate, over the years ive had a few starting problems, most of which were something simple. i remember once when the car just died at random, id let it cool down then got it started but died after a while again,got worse and worse, i went out and changed the Crank Angle sensor, and the AFM, which fixed it. again check grounding wires, fuses (in boot, and below steering wheel), if the fuel pump is priming, undo the lead to the engine to see if fuel is actualy getting to the engine. this might be a stab in the dark, but happened to a mate of mine, maybe u have a pice of cloth in ur piping thats blocking something, maybe in intercooler piping, if u stuck it there while u were working on the engine. otherwise might be the ECU thats getting something confused, unlikely tho, its something u could fix in 5 minutes i bet.

good luck

Borrowed another CAS an ignitor from trozzle this morning, still no kick with them on.

Pulled the cas off with the ignition on and turned it by hand manually, injectors fired but no spark, moved the sensor around and i got spark and fuel, move the sensor again and back to just injectors.

So i have a break in one of the wires for the CAS, will look at trying to find which wire is causing issues and see if that gets it going again.

Very happy to hear that! Bit of a nightmare sourcing the issue hey, wiring is getting old in these cars now, brittle from heat cycles etc. Had to replace a random section of my wiring loom that powered the fuel pump (brittle, shorted out a little).

Anyway congrats that it is running again, enjoy the fresh motor.