SAU Community

Bosch Fuel Pump Very Noisey

boky

Hey everyone

About a week ago i ran my tank very low on fuel (3-4litres left), it would start turn over for a bit then die but eventually the tank/pump regained pressure and it started (has happened once before but car never started) . Didn't really notice until sunday that the pump (bosch 040) was whining even louder then normal. Doesn't seem to have effected performance (no pinging, surging or power drop) but the car doesnt build up much carbin, i never give it a boot full until the oil temp lifts off the stop 60-70deg then when i do a lot of built up carbin spews out the exhaust at the moment almost nothing comes out. When its just warming up in the morning it doesnt seem to produce as much fumes either.

Is the fuel pump on its way out? has anyone had something similar happen to them? should i just replace it to be safe?

Any help would be appreciated cheers

Was it blowing fuel clounds before?

As in ... has it always done it (cloud) but you've never taken notice of it? :)

Are you only noticing these things "as a result" of a bit of paranoia surrounding the low fuel perhaps?

If its a "new" thing, could be a fuel reg is failing, not uncommon and easy to check with a pressure gauge.

It has always blown fuel clouds but since ive noticed the fuel pump noise i havent seen it do it. Nar its not paranoia (i know the feeling though) my friend who has been in the car many times before asked about the loud whining noise too.