SAU Community

Manual Gearbox Oil

Duo

Hi guys, been looking about and don't know if I missed a post but can't seem to find the recommended oil for an RS Four S manual. Does it make a lot of difference? The diff oil seems to be 75w140 is the gearbox oil the same viscosity or more like 75w90? Could also use info on power steering fluid and 4 wheel steer fluid, is it all some kind of generic steering fluid like dot4 for brakes or is it some special blend that only Nssan and a couple of other places make? I have a trade card for a national parts place so generic PSF is cheap in 5l bottles lol

Cheers for any info guys :)

p/s and attessa (the one in the boot, RHS) take normal power steering fluid (idealy nissan matic-j but i think the one below is ok too)

not sure on gearbox oil but check what an r33 gtr would use, they should be in the valvoline/castrol/etc books

Hi Dude,

For the Attessa reservior in the boot, power steering AND transfer case on the box - use a high quality dexron III auto trans fluid, castrol trans max z is what all of us are using when $$$ isnt a problem

As for the gear box depends on its condition to help syncro life I'd recommend Leightweight shock proof...

Hey Bud,

As above peeps have said already.... Dextron III (or equivalent) for Attessa, P/Stear and Transfer case.

I use Redline in my Gearbox as well as Front and Rear Diffs. Using it in the Rear Diff can make the LSD lock up a smig earlier, but its no problem as long as you don't mind (It still acts like normal). And thats the whole point of having a LSD anyway.

Not sure if you wanted it also, but I run 10-30W (I think it is) Royal Purple in the engine. I honestly swear by this by the way. I've used a few diff oils and this stuff is amazing.

Anyway hope thats what you were looking for :)

If you are going to use Redline shockproof in your gearbox use only the lightweight version. If you have a viscous diff 75W 140 but if you have a mechanical lsd you must use a special lsd oil such as motul 75W 140 for lsd.

Thanks for the info guys, I was looking at special LSD oil and the same version but for the box, both at 75w140 but both state not to swap them, as for the psf and atessa I'll have a scout for some good stuff like the castrol and see what I can find. The box and diff oils I'm going for are specifically made for the job and motorsport use, the box oil actually stopped a high power evo from chewing up the synchro's. I believe having the rs four s the stock lsd needs the special lsd oils?

Engine wise I use 10w40 royal purple, have also used fuchs silkolene but the purple is like nothing else oil wise, no idea what it's exact chemistry is but it works a treat, keeps the engine quiet and helps the turbo spool up.