SAU Community

V36 Fuel Economy - Best 'range To Empty' Of 643Kms

Fuel economy  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I noticed this thread is the first hit on Google when I search for 'v36 skyline fuel consumption', so I thought I better come back and update it with some proper information.

Agreed - using the range to empty is not an accurate way of measuring consumption, and a 'tank' isn't a unit of measure.

Here are some hard stats:

City tank - mainly inner city stop/start driving, one trip out to the burbs (80kms round trip) on the FWY

579km, 71.1L

= 12.3L per 100kms

Hwy tank - again, mainly inner city stop/start driving, one trip out to the country (200kms round trip) on the FWY

573km, 59.88L

= 10.6L per 100kms

I would say these are pretty typical real world figures. Fuel used on both cases was BP RON 98. Car is stock V36 SP Auto 2007.

I would imagine the best possible HWY consumption would be a low 9.xL per 100kms. Very damn awesome for a car with 245KW and a 5.x second 0-100!!!

Anyone care to share their stats?

Edited by Haxorz

So far my fuel consumption goes from 10.8 to 13l / 100kms, these are city and fwy driving. Got the car in November and have done 9 pumps. 13l, 11.81l, 12.99l, 11.92l, 12.21l, 11.44l, 10.87l, 11.47l

I initially thought there was something wrong with my car due to stuttering rpms on some days after a cold start and warm up of 3-4 mins everyday. Has anyone had problems like this?

2007 V36 Sedan SP

you guys should try the 'fuel lite' app on iPhone.

just punch in your odometer, litres you put in at the station, and price per litre and it will collate all the details into a running average complete with detailed graphs showing consumption.

Also good come tax time.

I initially thought there was something wrong with my car due to stuttering rpms on some days after a cold start and warm up of 3-4 mins everyday. Has anyone had problems like this?

2007 V36 Sedan SP

Colin, that sounds like dirty MAF problems.

Look for a DIY on cleaning the MAF. Grab a can of throttle body cleaner and have at it. I did mine on the weekend, no noticeable difference - although I wasn't having probs in the first place - but a clean MAF is a must for accurate fuel metering and fuel efficiency.

Apparently it happens to some only...even the 350Z that has the same engine as ours gets it too. Problem is there was no real solution at the end. Everyone tried something different.

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/307878-sputtering-during-warm-up-4.html

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/VdcPs36-KdM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=%201%22

It isn't really during warm up per se...its more of warm up for 2-5mins then when you drive it starts stuttering, rpm going up and down. Speed isnt affected though. After 30 secs to a min everything is fine. There are so many different theories...some say that there may be water in the fuel, some saying air intakes (I tried stock and after market, no difference), ECU, MAF...

I will try cleaning the MAF and see what happens. I have not had it for a week but today it came back. Not happy.

I honestly reckon that fuel plays a strongly contributing factor in this.

A servo that I very rarely pump at has terrible fuel and that causes a lot of 'stuttering.'

The one that I use regularly seems to have good quality fuel and causes a lot less 'stuttering' and the engine doesn't sound like it's about to die (even once warm and in higher revs).

Can you tie the symptoms to temperature conditions? Like hot weather? The reason I say this is you say it does it after warming up it could be heat related - coil packs tend to play up in hot weather and once warm, but rarely cold - due to the plastic houses expending and allow the spark to arc out on the engine.

if all else fails - reset ECU and take it for a lash. Even if it doesn't fix it, it'll make you feel better !

I honestly reckon that fuel plays a strongly contributing factor in this.

A servo that I very rarely pump at has terrible fuel and that causes a lot of 'stuttering.'

The one that I use regularly seems to have good quality fuel and causes a lot less 'stuttering' and the engine doesn't sound like it's about to die (even once warm and in higher revs).

Well I pump at the same servo I use for my 34 and my brother uses it for his Liberty GT and no issues for both cars at all. I considered that but yeah, does not seem right.

Can you tie the symptoms to temperature conditions? Like hot weather? The reason I say this is you say it does it after warming up it could be heat related - coil packs tend to play up in hot weather and once warm, but rarely cold - due to the plastic houses expending and allow the spark to arc out on the engine.

if all else fails - reset ECU and take it for a lash. Even if it doesn't fix it, it'll make you feel better !

Not too sure...Nov was cool and cold here....its freaking hot now...so don't think it has much to do with weather. I reset the ECU for the 3rd time now...so thats about once a month since I've gottent he car in Nov. Not much help.

From your theory of warm weather...I agree to that but why only 30 seconds and no issues after that at all?

BP Ultimate 98 only from BP servo.

Any other ideas? After reading numerous forums I give up.

Some had issues with stuttering shifting of gears and was fixed with a ECU re-flash with updated software which I doubt I can get but mine isn't stuttering gear change. It happens when I drive out in the morning after a warm up of 2-5mins from a cold start. Usually 1.5-2.5 rpm.

My V35 does not run well on Liberty, Shell or Caltex. I have tried them and not only do I get worse economy from those fuels, the car doesn't feel as smooth or as powerful.

Odd. I recall when I was tuning my Maxima back in the day, I was able to advance the timing by another 4-5 degrees compared to all other fuels, including BP Ultimate. Mind you, I was told by a few guys back then that BP Ultimate was more consistent than Shell V-Power. I always steered clear of Caltex as they were pushing their Vortex fuel as being all about cleaning agents and not focusing on the octane when it was first released. I just don't put any faith in whatever they come up with since then. My fuel logs back then showed better fuel economy out of the V-Power and like I said, the engine was happy and knock-free with a further 4-5 degrees advance from the MoTeC.

Maybe we New South Welshmen get a better batch of V-Power? I can't see how but if those are the results you're getting, I'm willing to experiment with my V36 and try running BP's Ultimate again for a couple of months to see what results it yields. I log all of my fuel fills and keep an eye on the mileage I get as a result - I use MyFuelLog Pro by some Italian dude on both iOS and Android platforms. It made my migration from Apple to Samsung so much easier when I transferred the XML file across.

• 7 months later...

Hi there

I had just got my 370gt for two weeks ,already had filled up 3 tanks .everyday city driving ,no freeway .i find that how come every time I filled up the tank when it is nearly empty(computer shown 40kms remainly), then I can only pop up 53litre ,full tank.isnt it our tanks 70litres?

And after I filled up full tanks ,the computer shown the remainly Kim's can go is only 320kms?is that normal to every other 370gt?

But finally I can only reached 280until it empty ,not really driving hard (about 10% of driving time is full accelerate .

Anyone have that weird experience ?

Hi there

I had just got my 370gt for two weeks ,already had filled up 3 tanks .everyday city driving ,no freeway .i find that how come every time I filled up the tank when it is nearly empty(computer shown 40kms remainly), then I can only pop up 53litre ,full tank.isnt it our tanks 70litres?

And after I filled up full tanks ,the computer shown the remainly Kim's can go is only 320kms?is that normal to every other 370gt?

But finally I can only reached 280until it empty ,not really driving hard (about 10% of driving time is full accelerate .

Hi there

But finally I can only reached 280until it empty ,not really driving hard (about 30% of driving time is full accelerate .

Edited by Love370gt

Hi there

But finally I can only reached 280until it empty ,not really driving hard (about 30% of driving time is full accelerate .

That's pretty bad....

Mine usually says range to empty being at least 550km depending on how hard I've driven it the last tank...

I thought the tank was 80L? I've filled up 75L before..

Wow, 280km to empty is even lower economy than what I get when I drive mine very aggressively. My worst consumption has been close to 19.3L/100km and that was definitely thrashing it about. Typical city driving for me is 15.9L/100km and open road being 10.4L/100km.

As for tank capacities, I've always been under the impression that mine was a 70L tank.

when the fill light comes up, im still able to squeeze in 75L in mine ( 08 Manual)

Im not used to the L/100km but the best i got out of a tank is 11km/L and worst was 8km/L

I have had an Auto before but i reckon this manual one gives me more out of a full tank specially local driving!!!

Also i got 20x10's all round, HFC's, Full Exhaust and Intake

iseekool's posts are correct - that is the only way.

The trip computer software in Nissans is so inaccurate I wonder why they even bothered to put it in the car.

According to the unit in my 2010 370 (7speed) I have achieved 6.94 Lt/100Km.

Sure, I was getting really great economy but I doubt it was THAT good. And I was driving in such an unrealistic manner to get that number...

I live in the Snowy Mountains and work in Sydney so it is pretty much all highway running too.

I am still trying to determine if it has the same software that is in my 2008 Maxima (CVT) ...the fuel guage in that car doesn't actually measure the fuel you have but what it thinks you have based on usage rate. I have proved that if you can quickly drop the L/Km number the needle on the fuel guage goes up!

From Mittagong to Campbelltown is a drop in altitude of around 600metres so overall, a downhill run. If you reset the fuel usage at the top of Catherine Hill you will get a lower consumption number so the car makes a decision based simply on if you can go further....you must have more fuel in the tank!

Stupid and unreliable.