SAU Community

Oeh Inspection

hey guys hoping somebody can help me out.I have be requested by the office of environment and heritage that my car may be to loud and exceed emissions and may not comply with the OEH laws here in n.s.w.

i have never had the car tested before and i am worry i will probably fail the test as my car is loud and blows a lot of black smoke when on boost the car has aftermarket exhaust and the catalyec converter is prob not good(how can i tell if it is doing its job) the car has 300kw at the wheels so the car its self is moderately modified.

question 1: do you think i would pass the test.

question 2: do you know any good solutions or tips to help pass the test.

question3: if i turn the boost down to say like 5 psi or lower will that help or can i hurt my car by doing so.

question4: how much is it for a cat converter and is it hard to install.

I had to have my R34 do the same test after the cops said my car was too loud.

My car wasn't loud, in fact is was really silent running. But they need a reason to send you to these places and that's a common excuse to use.

When i got there the first thing they did was look at all the aftermarket bits and told me to remove them all OR my car will fail the test and if that happens car is off the road...., so they said go home, get it all back to standard and once ive done that, re book it again. Some of my parts included i.e. BOV, Cat converter, Front Mount intercooler, Pod filter, Lowered king coil suspension, (had to be above 100 mill) and im sure there were other things like A/M boost and Pod filter. They said my front mount intercooler would never pass an emissions test either, so no choice but to take it ALL off and replace with the factory standard parts.

So before anything, i took the car to an RTA certified engineer and had it engineered......

The BOV had to be plumed back so as not to vent to atmosphere, I standardized the exhaust with a HKS Cat back and 4-inch mandrel exhaust. Once i plumbed back the BOV, adjusted the exhaust, took out the aftermarket boost (A/M boost is illegal in NSW) and i also had a cover put on the Pod filter along with my engineers cert i rebooked the car. My engineer certified my Rims, Pod Filter BOV Exhaust and im sure im missing things... But there the main things.

When i took my car back, Regardless of the Engineering Cert they still wouldn't pass my front mount intercooler, so i rung and spoke to the assessors boss and sent him a copy of the Engineers Cert, he then agreed it has been engineered to comply correctly as the engineer is RTA certified, and he told his assessor to pass the intercooler as it does comply.

They did the sound test and inspected the exhaust set up, and it passed, but mostly the engineers certificate held up and it worked out ok.....thanks to the assessors boss. If an assessor is in doubt, he will further refer the car, so you need to prove to him the car complies.

If your Rim sizes are 2 inches above the factory recommended standard size you'll need to have them engineered as well or it's a defect....

The objective is to make you keep the car as original as it was made; It's a bit of a hassle but its not 'tooooo' much drama to make them pass, and once its passed the cops cant defect you which is a bonus :) . I think that black smoke you are talking about will fail your car outright but u can't have A/M Boost anyway, you'll have to take it out and mebbie that will eliminate the smoke. Also, when they inspect your car, they take photos of every single thing, LOTS of pics which are then uploaded to the inspection file and kept on record for reference in the future so if you change anything they can kinda see .....

Well good luck with it all, but i really recomend u get it all engineered before u go and take off the A/M boost.

Edited by nathanau

first off thank you for the insight and your time.i did not think it was that full on

with the boost i have a power fc ecu and hand controller so your saying i need a stock ecu and to get a rid of the hand controller(i dont even know how to get the the ecu)

i have stock inter-cooler

stock bov

i have 19inch rim and all four tires are very wide well above stock width

dark tints on front windows

pod filters(witch i got heat shields for today)

and the exhaust is a kakimoto(spelling)from cat back

i have boost controller and turbo timer and the car is a bit low but i have coil overs.

it still a pain in the ass and abit of money to do this

all so i have cam gaers done on it as well and the case is clear so you can see them(would that be a issue)

first off thank you for the insight and your time.i did not think it was that full on

with the boost i have a power fc ecu and hand controller so your saying i need a stock ecu and to get a rid of the hand controller(i dont even know how to get the the ecu)

i have stock inter-cooler

stock bov

i have 19inch rim and all four tires are very wide well above stock width

dark tints on front windows

pod filters(witch i got heat shields for today)

and the exhaust is a kakimoto(spelling)from cat back

i have boost controller and turbo timer and the car is a bit low but i have coil overs.

it still a pain in the ass and abit of money to do this

all so i have cam gaers done on it as well and the case is clear so you can see them(would that be a issue)

Heya dude, well a stock BOV should be recirculating meaning the original factory rec.

But mine is not, they passed it because it is a plumb back, so long as it is plumb back and not venting to atmosphere should be fine.

Stock intercooler is good

Check the makers recommended rim size located in the door jam, should be driver’s side. But if it’s like the 34, u can go 2 inches up in size without a drama to 19 inch.

Tires cannot exceed the outer width of the car so they must fit within the wheel housing.

Your exhaust should be ok but catalytic converters are not from memory.

A/M boost is not allowed. Only stock/factory boost

I have a Turbo Timer and they didn’t even look at it. But it was included in the engineer’s cert.

You need to have a height of no less than 100 mills in NSW, any lower is a defect. So make sure you adjust them above 100mill

I am not sure about the Cam gears n case, i don’t have that but if you have the original gear cover id just wack it back on to be safe and so as not to give them cause to knock the car back.

Once u make the booking for the inspection it would pay you to ring them as a general inquiry and tell them you want to get some info on mods, have a list ready , even for mods that you don’t have but might want in the future ( you don’t need to tell them u have some mods already) and ask them if they would comply.

They should tell u over the phone what’s good and what’s not. I know when i took my car in they were happy to tell me all the bad things before they officially did the inspection…. so i could go and make the changes. They are pretty helpful people.

So from the sounds of things apart from your boost, id be fairly confident you’ll have no dramas at all.

Oh P.S check what the maximum allowable noise DB level is for your exhaust at 'what RMP' i cant remember what mine was, I fink at 4000 RPM it was supposed to be 94DB or less (I think) They will tell u that on the phone too and if you go to an exhaust shop prior, some will be able do a BD test for u for a small cost. My exhaust shop did mine for free. Good luck again dude. As I said I don’t think this is going to be too major or expensive.

hey thanks for all your help it has helped me out alot as i have never done this before and did not know what to expect. i will check exhaust out and hope its ok because i really dont want a stock exhuast at all the one thats on there really makes the car is what it is.cheers dude :cheers:

Heya dude, well a stock BOV should be recirculating meaning the original factory rec.

But mine is not, they passed it because it is a plumb back, so long as it is plumb back and not venting to atmosphere should be fine.

Stock intercooler is good

Check the makers recommended rim size located in the door jam, should be driver's side. But if it's like the 34, u can go 2 inches up in size without a drama to 19 inch.

Tires cannot exceed the outer width of the car so they must fit within the wheel housing.

Your exhaust should be ok but catalytic converters are not from memory.

A/M boost is not allowed. Only stock/factory boost

I have a Turbo Timer and they didn't even look at it. But it was included in the engineer's cert.

You need to have a height of no less than 100 mills in NSW, any lower is a defect. So make sure you adjust them above 100mill

I am not sure about the Cam gears n case, i don't have that but if you have the original gear cover id just wack it back on to be safe and so as not to give them cause to knock the car back.

Once u make the booking for the inspection it would pay you to ring them as a general inquiry and tell them you want to get some info on mods, have a list ready , even for mods that you don't have but might want in the future ( you don't need to tell them u have some mods already) and ask them if they would comply.

They should tell u over the phone what's good and what's not. I know when i took my car in they were happy to tell me all the bad things before they officially did the inspection…. so i could go and make the changes. They are pretty helpful people.

So from the sounds of things apart from your boost, id be fairly confident you'll have no dramas at all.

Oh P.S check what the maximum allowable noise DB level is for your exhaust at 'what RMP' i cant remember what mine was, I fink at 4000 RPM it was supposed to be 94DB or less (I think) They will tell u that on the phone too and if you go to an exhaust shop prior, some will be able do a BD test for u for a small cost. My exhaust shop did mine for free. Good luck again dude. As I said I don't think this is going to be too major or expensive.

Hey mate,

Good insight into obtaining engineers certs for the various mods.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that all end up setting you back?

Cheers.

oh and dB max is at 4000rpm and is not allowed to hit above 91dB, i got done with my 3" exhaust doing 105dB...... didnt look good. Yet i didnt receive a defect, also you need a catalytic converter..... which i also didnt receive a defect for. BOV as mentioned needs to be plumbed back, pod filter is legal but has to be encased.

My Oil catch can properly affixed was also legal.

Also in regards to your ecu, thats an easy fix, just pull out your hand controller, its just a basic plug and they wont be able to tell if its aftermarket or not unless they pop off your kickpanel.

ECU location should be passenger side kickpanel. so just unplug your hand controller and when inspection is finished plug it back in :D

Hey mate,

Good insight into obtaining engineers certs for the various mods.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that all end up setting you back?

Cheers.

heya dude, the eng cert was a couple of hundred , but that eng is a really good mate of my mate, so i got a discount on the cost.