SAU Community

The Autobahn

luke gtr

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the autobahn a week ago in a taxi, he was going around 190 and there were cars not even porsches and such flying past us. I did see a Carrera GT though, obviously not much of it as it was going at least 300km/h past us!

I love the autobahn I would love to get a few guys together fly over hire some exotics through a contact I have and drive through Germany. Ill take the mclaren mp4-12c someone in the sls amg and another in the lp640 :) also he has a f430/lp560/r8 v10 and v8.

That would be the best week ever. Did 4 days in the lambo and have to say best experience of my life.

I love the autobahn I would love to get a few guys together fly over hire some exotics through a contact I have and drive through Germany. Ill take the mclaren mp4-12c someone in the sls amg and another in the lp640 :) also he has a f430/lp560/r8 v10 and v8.

That would be the best week ever. Did 4 days in the lambo and have to say best experience of my life.

hmmm, not my car, but still good idea.roughly how much did it cost you last time, for flights/food/accomidation/car/fuel?

dont know if it would apply to me, but i found on a german website that if there for less than 12 months, you can generally use your current rego and number plates.

i would expect that you would still need to get their authorised stations to check the car out, and things like tyres and brake pads changed to complied parts.

still doing research....

Well I went across Europe for 6 weeks so bit hard to gauge but for an lp640 looking at 1000euro-2000euro a day or more.

2000 euro/day x 7 days=AU$18627

hmmm, strating to think it might be not so bad to take my own car....

that could be the container there and back.

plus possibly a new tune on the ecu.

If you know someone who lives in the UK, couldn't you get them to import it (as they already have skylines over there), would be easier than trying to get it on the road in Germany. After that, as far as im aware, you can take a car across from the UK on a ferry into the EU.

yeah i drove a few UK hired cars around Europe a couple of years back. cops in Holland, Deutschland, Spain and so on didnt give a shit where it was from.

I suppose an oz reg would be a little more exotic but i cant imagine you getting pulled up on it, it would be at the customs end of it that issues would arise..

2000 euro/day x 7 days=AU$18627

hmmm, strating to think it might be not so bad to take my own car....

that could be the container there and back.

plus possibly a new tune on the ecu.

You're not comparing apples and apples.

Hire say an R32 Golf or Evo and you're probably looking at a couple hundred euro a day which makes it a very, very different prospect. Even at 300 euro a day, that makes 3k for 10 days. You'd be lucky to get your car there, through customs, on the road and then back again for under $20k and in less than 3 months.

plus it sounds like you are talking about a modified skyline, so there is always a chance you may get there and have it not allowed to be driven on the road, or simply put off the road for being illegally modified. for the cost, plus the mechanical stress put on the car i'd rather use someone elses car.

having said that, for the money that it would cost you to get yourself and the car over there, you could probably organise some top speed even using public roads (closed off obviously) much closer to home. but then you wouldn't get the holiday at the same time.

You're not comparing apples and apples.

Hire say an R32 Golf or Evo and you're probably looking at a couple hundred euro a day which makes it a very, very different prospect. Even at 300 euro a day, that makes 3k for 10 days. You'd be lucky to get your car there, through customs, on the road and then back again for under $20k and in less than 3 months.

i get what youre saying, but to compare apples with apples, id have to be able to hire my car from someone over there.

not going to happen.

i think the lambo was suggested from his personal experience, and it would have similar performance to my gtr when i complete it.

an r32 golf, or evo, :closedeyes: ....just NO comparison.

the idea of importing to england, well maybe ill look and try and find the easiest country to import to.

with regards to using my rego/plates, i wouldnt be adventuring outside germany on this particular trip.

and i think proper paperwork from their own authority would be enough for most cops.... just not NSW ones :D , just kidding, or am i???

It is cool that you can give your car a rip on the Autobahn but you have to remember its a public road. Just like the Ring, which means you need to either spend a fair bit of time over there to get the right combination of low traffic, good weather/visibility to give it a go. I got my Sierra Cossie up to a little over 200km/h but with traffic out there thats all I was comfortable trying to do. I think flat knacker the lil Cossie wouldnt do much more then 250-260 anyway.

LOL, I had enough boost up the Cossie so it gets to 200 easy enough....just dont trust the traffic conditions or know the roads well enough to know when they are going to return to limited sections.

295841_10150440611144741_606454740_10954773_585020217_n.jpg

And yes you can take your car over there. Depending on what you want to do and how long you are over there it can make sense. My R32 is going for a boat ride in Jan next year for some Alps/Autobahn and track work :) Do your research and get things sorted well ahead of time and you will realise its not all that hard to get sorted and is reasonable value if you want to do track work. You will have the most trouble with insurance

But if all you want to do is flog a car on the Autobahn and do a few laps of the Ring, then hire an A6 as they flog ok on the Autobahn and hire something for the laps around the Nurburgring. Others will no doubt have had more luck then me, but with all the rain, traffic etc Ring isnt a place where you really get to push a car, and neither is the Autobahn. If you are going to do track days over there then I think the combination starts to make using your own car more attractive

I lived in Germany for 5 years when I was in my late teens/early 20's, had just gotten my licence when I went. It was a great place to learn how to drive but there are not actually a hell of a lot of autobahns that have a huge amount of completely open speed limit sections. They are definitely there but you need to know where to go to have as little traffic as possible. The absolute best thing about the autobahns is cruising past a cop while you are doing 250kph and them not even giving you a second look.

As for the Nurburgring, it is constantly full of traffic and absolute psycho's in Golf GTI's and on big bikes. Keep in mind that the second your front wheels hit the track, your insurance is null and void, so that $300,000 lambo that you have hired for the day will be a little scarier to drive hard knowing that if a retard in a $15,000 VW Polo gets in your way you will be paying the $300,000 in installments for the rest of your life!!!

I hate to be a party pooper but it is not as easy as you may dream about.

HAHA full insurance for the ring...oh you were serious,,,

even the suzuki swift I hired had a 5000 euro excess on the insurance.

From same place the 911 gt3 has 50,000 euro excess..

ok not quite full replacement cost, but still more that I would want to pay.

NT now has speed limits.....

the no limits were removed a while ago..

NT Country Liberal Policy as at September 2011, is that certain signposted 130km/h highway zones will revert to (//) once again, obviously if they win the next election. I have raised the possibility of making this a daytime allowance only. NT will likely retain it's 'rural default' 110km/h, and this could in time reduce to the range 80-90km/h, - along with the rest of the country.

Anyhow, OP can take his Australian currently registered car anywhere OS he or she desires, legally. For this example; might like to consider taking it by ship to say Tilbury London UK. Contact NRMA (in your area) who can direct you to the specialized transport companies that do this. Done it before - decade or two ago, Euro Iran, India etc. The Aussie registered car MUST display the (AUS) nationality plate- tells cops OS WHERE the car is registered, not the drivers nationality.

AUS photo license accepted in EU without IDP. (International Driver Permit). IDP suggested for lesser countries.

The (AUS) and IDP are issued by NRMA as they are in your state or territory.

EQUIPMENT: Car MUST have a single hazard-warning triangle to UNECE 27R Spec. Car MUST carry TWO high-visibility safety vests and these two items must be kept inside the cabin. Mandatory to wear BEFORE exiting the vehicle in zones 90km/h and above in Germany and now most EU states when the car has broken-down or if attending a crash scene. BIG FINES APPLY. REAR FOG LAMP install recommended, fit on driver side.

Isle Of Mann remains speed derestricted (//), the Islanders voted NO to the mainlands push for a speed limit, idiots are not accepted. Hungary has some freeway stretches posted 150km/h, Italy 160km/h on certain intercity three-laned runs, 130km/h elsewhere. Some Indian States still run (//), 160km/h applies on some UAE roads too.

ENSURE YOU TAKE OUT CAR ACCIDENT INSURANCE OS and that it applies wherever you will drive. Think medical too.

Edited by Keepleft

NT now has speed limits.....

the no limits were removed a while ago..

NT Country Liberal Policy as at September 2011 is that certain signposted 130km/h zones will revert to (//) once again, obviously if they win the next election. I have raised the possibility of making this a daytime allowance only. NT will likely retain it's 'rural default' 110km/h, and this could in time reduce to the range 80-90km/h.

Anyhow, OP can take his Australian currently registered car anywhere OS he or she desires, legally. For this example; might like to consider taking it by ship to say Tilbury London UK. Contact NRMA (in your area) who can direct you to the specialized transport companies that do this. Done it before - decade or two ago, Euro Iran, India etc. The Aussie registered car MUST display the (AUS) nationality plate- tells cops OS WHERE the car is registered, not the drivers nationality.

AUS photo license accepted in EU without IDP. (International Driver Permit). IDP suggested for lesser countries.

The (AUS) plate and IDP are issued by NRMA as they are in your state or territory. See their OS motoring website too. AAA have an international traffic signs sheet for you too.

EQUIPMENT: Car MUST have a single hazard-warning triangle to UNECE 27R Spec. Car MUST carry TWO high-visibility safety vests and these two items must be kept inside the cabin. Mandatory to wear BEFORE exiting the vehicle in zones 90km/h and above in Germany and now most EU states when the car has broken-down or if attending a crash scene. BIG FINES APPLY. REAR FOG LAMP install recommended, fit on driver side.

Isle Of Mann remains speed derestricted (//), the Islanders voted NO to the mainlands push for a speed limit, idiots are not accepted. Hungary has some freeway stretches posted 150km/h, Italy 160km/h on certain intercity three-laned runs, 130km/h elsewhere. Some Indian States still run (//), 160km/h applies on some UAE roads too.

ENSURE YOU TAKE OUT CAR ACCIDENT INSURANCE OS and that it applies wherever you will drive. Think medical too.