SAU Community

The Autobahn

luke gtr

You can drive your whilst being registered in Australia but you do need to apply for a permit and it restricts the period of time that you can drive it. After that period expires you are expected to get the car registered over there. So when driving with the tourist permit on Aussie rego you must have a copy of the Aussie registration papers and your permit on you at all times. If you are pulled over since you don’t have an EU licence the Police will expect you to have an International licence. In the UK you are ok for up to 12 months on an Aussie licence, but if you are going to Europe then best get an International licence as the Police expect it….

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive driven on the autobahn when i was in Germany for 2wks last November, its such an awesome road.

clocked the hire car (suzuki Alto lol) there, was quite fun, did see alot of m3/porches fly past with ease when im already struggling to do over 160km lol

just be careful that they tend to have traffic jams during the day or if there are road works and the traffic jam can last for km's and sometimes up to an hour before you start to break away from the traffic. the speed limits can change very quickly without you even noticing.

i did not even see one single cop for the whole 2 weeks i was driving there.

the roads are really smooth and not shitty like Australian roads,

Will definitely go back with a more exotic hire car and film myself doing some high speed runs :D

a must do for everyone!

You can drive your whilst being registered in Australia but you do need to apply for a permit and it restricts the period of time that you can drive it. After that period expires you are expected to get the car registered over there. So when driving with the tourist permit on Aussie rego you must have a copy of the Aussie registration papers and your permit on you at all times. If you are pulled over since you don’t have an EU licence the Police will expect you to have an International licence. In the UK you are ok for up to 12 months on an Aussie licence, but if you are going to Europe then best get an International licence as the Police expect it….

I would be going to.Germany only on this particular trip.

Had a quick look at one of the websites mentioned previously, and it looks like, depending which part of Germany I go to, would be ok with an Australian license.

It would only be a 3-4 week holiday, so I don't think I'm going to over stay.

In regards to earlier mentioned triangle and vests, it is also compolsery to carry a first aid kit in the boot.

If I start saving now, I might be able to afford it by the time the Australian tectonic plate meets up with the one Germany sits on, then I can drive there.

Thanks everyone for your input and knowledge, keep it coming, the more the better.

In regards to earlier mentioned triangle and vests, it is also compolsery to carry a first aid kit in the boot.

The compulsory aspect of the first aid kit is one for domestic registration purposes, meaning it's not mandatory for visiting international traffic to have one. One of the reasons is some medicines are legal in say Germany or France, but not in say Greece. Panadol or it is Asprin is one example. Fire extinguishers operate under the same scenario, domestic registration requirement only in certain countries.

The vest, triangle - are an EU transport directive for EU country governments to mandatorily adopt.

The vests, triangle, first aid kit (to national domestic standard), and fire extinguishers are recent amendments made to The United Nations Convention on Road Traffic; for 'the rest of the world team' to adopt with time.

A respondent mentioned the requirement to register your AUS car IF you expect stay in 'a country' longer than three months. This derives from that UN Convention. Australia, of course, expects the same, ditto with licences.

Am using an IPad, so somehow stuffed up and ended up with a double post. Sorry.

hope this is in the right section.

i was just wondering if anyone has taken their own car to germany to do the autobahns and nurburgring?

is it even possible?

its one of my life goals, do the car up to the point i want it, then take it to a place where i can do the speeds legally.

any info would be appreciated.

will be doing my own research also.

p.s. i used the search function, and came up with alot of people using hired cars, but not their own from australia.

If you really want to drive a modified R32 GT-R on an autobahn the other option is to buy one in the UK then go on a road trip to Germany, do the autobahn's and Nürburgring then drive back to the UK and sell it.

Something like this maybe: Link

Just a suggestion. Otherwise you can hire some pretty nice cars in Germany relatively cheaply, for example you can get an M3 for €99/day Link

t.

If I start saving now, I might be able to afford it by the time the Australian tectonic plate meets up with the one Germany sits on, then I can drive there.

:rofl2:

in same boat here...or rather idling in car waiting for plates/fates to align.

Buy, drive sell thing could work but you would need to be pretty flexible with your selling price, be prepared to lose a fair bit if your in a hurry to get home. If your lucky you might be able to find someone you trust to leave it with who can wait till someone stumps up a fair price then wire you the money. Just make sure they aren't Nigerian royalty or the like..

The above are good ideas, but i don't know anyone overseas to leave the car with.

And its not just about a moded gtr on the autobahn and ring, its about MY moded gtr...

But i do appreciate the suggestions.

The above are good ideas, but i don't know anyone overseas to leave the car with.

And its not just about a moded gtr on the autobahn and ring, its about MY moded gtr...

Fair enough. I would say you would be looking at $30k for that then. VERY VERY expensive dream! Hope its worth it.

LOL, A man who is going to be live a long tortured existence much like myself. :)

I think it will be sooo cool to be in my old peoples home and be able to rant about how I took my lil GTSt all the way to Europe and belted it around tracks door to door with GT3s, 458s etc etc. LOL, sticking "RB20 POWAH" stickers on the sides of any exotics that get lapped by the lil GTSt :)

Almost happened this year, but the strong Aussie dollar meant I fast tracked my long held desire to own a Sierra. Next year the R32 goes to live in the UK for the near-mid term.

If anyone is interested in a motorsport trip to Europe next year then keep an eye out in the Motorsport section as a few friends look interested in joining me next year where we will be doing three of the following: Jerez, Imola, Zolder, Saxon Ring, Zandvoort or Spa...along with Tourist days at the Ring and an F1 GP

LOL, A man who is going to be live a long tortured existence much like myself. :)

I think it will be sooo cool to be in my old peoples home and be able to rant about how I took my lil GTSt all the way to Europe and belted it around tracks door to door with GT3s, 458s etc etc. LOL, sticking "RB20 POWAH" stickers on the sides of any exotics that get lapped by the lil GTSt :)

there lies my problem, i bought a house with my then fiance in october.

then got a new r1 in december.

then married in april this year.

and cant afford my stroker kit yet.

its going to be a LONG while before i can afford this trip.

and i was thinking around the 30-50k mark, depending on accomidation, fuel prices, car transport, airfairs, and other touristy stuff wanting to do over there.

one day, maybe...

one day.

You must be REALLY enjoying yourself to spend 30k....not unless you go to joints full of Romanian strippers every night and have 4 bottles of expensive wine with every meal :)

I can only afford to do it now because I refuse to buy a house, am annoying, fat and ugly so still single and only have a std RB20 powered R32 :)