SAU Community

Help!

EuphXP

Hey guys,

So i got my skyline about a month ago (R34 GT-T), and i get my full license to drive it on Thursday (2 days) HOWEVER!

I got this shitty little piece of paper (Or 3) in the mail today informing me my car is too loud, (Dont know how, i havnt driven it :S)

its from the Office of Environment and Heritage, and says i need to take the car for a "Noise test and Anti-Tampering Inspection"

How i got this, ill never know, the car has sat in my driveway for a month now, waiting to be driven...

Now this 2 days before i can legally drive it FML

I understand i might need to return the car to full stock condition, currently it has an aftermarket front mount inter-cooler, BOV, Exhaust, Turbo timer, and boost gauge.

Can anyone offer me any advice on which station to take it to, anywhere to get stock parts, or wtf to do next!

Im located in the South of NSW (Hurstville area)

Cheers guys. :)

Hey Daniel,

Chances are a nosey neighbour has put in a complaint about it.. any old people near where you live?

if you want PM me your number and ill explain it over the phone and try to help you out as best I can..

Just need to know what kind of place the car has to be taken to, im assuming any authorised RTA inspection station?

how long have you owned the car for? if you havent had the car very long the complaint was probably made about the car before you bought it...i got stung with this.

sounds like its the same deal as a deccw anti tampering and decibel test.

if it is you should only have to change the front mount, exhaust and BOV...and pod filter if you have one.

some exhaust places loan out stock exhaust for test like these which saves you the trouble of fitting it yourself..might be a better option.

does it have a list of places you can take it to? i had to go to one at campbletown and it wasnt too bad.

Just went through this process. Was 2 min from home and the time wasting Popo pulled me over for an RBT and when they were about to send me on my way said btw you will be receiving a notice in the mail to get a noise test.

I suggest you ring up the Office of Environment and Heritage and ask all the appropriate questions. He will tell you that you can't have a BOV that vents to the atmosphere, if you have a pod needs to be enclosed. My car got tested over the weekend. For the GTR the requirement was 90db @ 5100 rpm. I got 89db :) Thats with stock catback and compliance cat. Ask the office what type of cat you need and if a FMIC is ok. I have been told by the inspection station that hi flows are ok, but you best check with the Office. EDIT: THe inspector said that in the last week some changes have been made (for the better)

At the inspection they go over your emmissions devices to ensure that they meet the requirements and he will do a noise test then put your car on a hoist and take photos which are sent to the Office.

Silencers are OK but they need to be welded in place ie you cant just have screw on silencers and butterfly valves. PM if you have any questions

Edited by DLOOOK

i coped this rubbish aswell, 90 db at 4800 rpm, i had to go twice i failed first time becasue i had to have my silencer welded in, didnet even know i had one lol

Metal flange with holes and a bunch of steel wool stuffed in the exhaust is the easiest way,

Hey dude if you live in the Wollongong region I can let you borrow my stock cat back. And even dump/front pipe if your really keen :P

I live at shellcove, just give me a pm if your keen. Saves you buying or paying for a loan.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help, I called the office and they said my FMIC Was okay, all i need to do is plumb back my BOV and ensure my silencer is welded in.

How hard is it to plumb back a Blow off valve, and where would be the best place to get my exhaust silencer welded in and compliance tested (Before i take it to be "offically" tested).

Im in the st george area, Ive heard maybe menai exhaust?

For plumbing back a BOV, you just need to return it to the pipe that the stock one uses.

I'll try and dig for a picture that shows it off; having said that, I used to run a HKS SSQV but I've gone back to stock BOV (and leaning towards stock box too). Sure it's not as loud, but there's NO drama that I can get into with the police for it.

For plumbing back a BOV, you just need to return it to the pipe that the stock one uses.

I'll try and dig for a picture that shows it off; having said that, I used to run a HKS SSQV but I've gone back to stock BOV (and leaning towards stock box too). Sure it's not as loud, but there's NO drama that I can get into with the police for it.

As Owen just mentioned, you need to make sure your BOV is plumbed back to your intake.

FWIW, both the factory BOV and air box are more than up to the task of doing their assigned jobs unless you REALLY decide to do massive mods to your car, by which time you'd probably need an engineer's report anyway.

I don't see what's so great about pod filters, sure, they're good for saving some space (e.g. custom piping on a GT-R), but on a relatively standard car, there's no point IMO.

If you don't think the stock airboxes are that great, look up Mine's R34 on youtube ;).

SO!

I went to get the car tested (I didnt modify or change anything, so the car was tested with FMIC, Boost controller, Full exhaust, BOV, Turbo timer, and aftermarket gauges) I figured i was stuffed, with those mods done, and no certs, anyway, the guy was great...

Turns out, about 7 weeks ago the OEH Laws were changed... For the better as someone mentioned.

Failed the exhaust test @ 97dB (7 over, :( QQ SOB SOB)

BOV Wasnt plumbed back so i need to get that done aswell, Other than that the car passed, Which suprised me to be honest, i only need to make the car quieter and plumb back the bov and im sweet...

So suprised that the boost controller was ok, ive been told on their own they are a pretty serious defect.

Hope these results may releive anyones stress when they receive the dredded OEH Letter in the mail...

Once again, Thanks everyone here for all their help and genuine concern...

crap forgot to talk photos for you buddy. will try and do so this weekend coming up!

7db over... maybe just another muffler on your exhaust? if you're basically cat, then the rear muffler... get another one welded in, muchos quieter! and no hassle from police :)

as for boost controller: I have the AVCR, so it doubles as a monitoring device. bam.

I've got a new straight thru muffler with side channels for reducing noise if you're interested? 3"-3.5" suitability. Pick up from Earlwood = close by. PM me if interested.

• 2 months later...

how long have you owned the car for? if you havent had the car very long the complaint was probably made about the car before you bought it...i got stung with this.

sounds like its the same deal as a deccw anti tampering and decibel test.

if it is you should only have to change the front mount, exhaust and BOV...and pod filter if you have one.

some exhaust places loan out stock exhaust for test like these which saves you the trouble of fitting it yourself..might be a better option.

does it have a list of places you can take it to? i had to go to one at campbletown and it wasnt too bad.

Hey mate im also getting mine tested in campbelltown. I went to an exhaust place today, they only had bad things to say about this guy. I see you say other wise. What things did u do to pass?

SO!

I went to get the car tested (I didnt modify or change anything, so the car was tested with FMIC, Boost controller, Full exhaust, BOV, Turbo timer, and aftermarket gauges) I figured i was stuffed, with those mods done, and no certs, anyway, the guy was great...

Turns out, about 7 weeks ago the OEH Laws were changed... For the better as someone mentioned.

Failed the exhaust test @ 97dB (7 over, :( QQ SOB SOB)

BOV Wasnt plumbed back so i need to get that done aswell, Other than that the car passed, Which suprised me to be honest, i only need to make the car quieter and plumb back the bov and im sweet...

So suprised that the boost controller was ok, ive been told on their own they are a pretty serious defect.

Hope these results may releive anyones stress when they receive the dredded OEH Letter in the mail...

Once again, Thanks everyone here for all their help and genuine concern...

Hey Daniel. What inspection station did u take ur car to?

What boost controller do you have. I have a FMIC too, the inspectors didnt have a problem with yours? Did they end up just doing the anti tampering and noise test or check over the whole car? Sorry mate for all the questions, but this OEH letter is a mess.

Hey Daniel. What inspection station did u take ur car to?

What boost controller do you have. I have a FMIC too, the inspectors didnt have a problem with yours? Did they end up just doing the anti tampering and noise test or check over the whole car? Sorry mate for all the questions, but this OEH letter is a mess.

Trust me i know what your going through, MASSIVE Headache...

So i had a manual Boost controller, but he said they changed the laws recently and they were fine, i have a After market FMIC and he said it was sweet, Pod filter is in a sealed box he said it was sweet. Atmo BOV i had to change to stock. On the first inspection i had to change my Aftermarket 3.5' X-Force exhaust to stock. So i put the stock exhaust on it (Thanks to Jarred!) Stock exhaust was still too loud (93 DB) and he didnt charge me for the test, came back 2 days later (After Defect notice cut off date) with a plate in the exhaust and he passed me and back-dated the test.

THEN!

I got a flat tyre and he even let me put my car up on the hoist and helped me change the tyre. Top bloke. i think his name is leon... Theres another bloke who works out there named Daniel, Hes also really nice...

I Guess the people who have had bad experiences with them may have gone about it the wrong way? Ive really only got nice things to say about these guys...

PM Me and i can call you if you need any more info... Trust me its not worth the stress. i was ready to jump off a cliff when i got this notice, looking back on it, take your time, All the guys on the forums are here to help, we will get you through.

stock exhaust is available if you need it too hah.

going rate is a case of extra dry :P

if your tight for cash you can just borrow it for free though.

as daniel mentioned he had to put a little blocker plate in it (probs cause his is a turbo back it could of been louder), but i guess well come to that if you need it. shoot me a PM if need be and ill hook you up mate.

Jarrad.