SAU Community

Hi Guys, I've got a fully rebuilt PPG 1st to 4th helical syncro box with a reocurring problem, it keeps jumping out of 3rd gear under acceleration, the builder keeps blaming PPG with what seems like a load of waffle, its waiting for its 3rd rebuild under warranty, so this will be the 4th time he's rebuilt it, I'd have to assume its got him f**cked.

Any ideas on the problem ?

Is it a ppg or a par box? If it's jumping out of 3rd it could be a clearance issue on the shaft or a ball and detent issue. Who is building the box? If you don't wish to name pm me.

Its a ppg box with all new parts, 1st to 4th gearset with ppg main billet shaft.

The builder has told me he has replaced 3rd gear to a ppg 3rd gear upgrade spec? and sent certain parts back to ppg for re-machining? (but it still jumps out of 3rd gear) sounds a bit odd to me since these parts are case hardened and he has had a history of not telling the truth.

I'm not hear to hang shit on him as I'm over that and he's still trying to rectify the problem, I just think he's clueless and this seems never ending.

Thanks Allen, PM sent.

i strongly suggest contacting ppg themselves and talking the issue through with them as well. They are usually more than helpful and are always looking for ways to improve so even though it may seem like criticism, its right up thier alley mate. best of luck and PM replied ;)

i strongly suggest contacting ppg themselves and talking the issue through with them as well. They are usually more than helpful and are always looking for ways to improve so even though it may seem like criticism, its right up thier alley mate. best of luck and PM replied ;)

Yer that was my next step, the gearset was purchased from ppg by the builder, I've found companys dont like to discuss things with someone else's client but it may be the best solution in this case as its dragging on.

Thanks for your help and your PM, I'll let you know the outcome. Cheers :thumbsup:

Has the 3rd gear synchro hub assembly been replaced? Very common cause of a gearbox jumping out of gear...usually happens on deceleration though.

The gearbox has all new everything Birds, right through, its time I speak to ppg to cross refrence what the builder is telling me.

I have a feeling it could be an interesting conversation. Cheers :thumbsup:

Hi Guys, I've got a fully rebuilt PPG 1st to 4th helical syncro box with a reocurring problem, it keeps jumping out of 3rd gear under acceleration, the builder keeps blaming PPG with what seems like a load of waffle, its waiting for its 3rd rebuild under warranty, so this will be the 4th time he's rebuilt it, I'd have to assume its got him f**cked.

Mate get rid of the PPG crap, I had 2 years of drama's with them.... I would not recommend anyone using PPG products.. Your builder is probably right..

Sad but true.

Mate get rid of the PPG crap, I had 2 years of drama's with them.... I would not recommend anyone using PPG products.. Your builder is probably right..

Sad but true.

Mate you could be right but I haven't spoken to PPG yet, only the builder who I've found is not big on telling the truth so I should give them a chance.

I spoke to some guy at PPG and he said Mark will call me back so time will tell, I'm looking forward to speaking with him to get a better picture with whats going on hear or if they even know of my problems.

Sorry to hear about your drama's, we all like to get what we paid for and shouldn't settle for less. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...