SAU Community

Any Boxers Out There?

MUZT3K

Ok guys well im a boxer been doing it for just over 6months and im looking at getting some sort of weights that I can attach to my fore arms for when I do some shadow boxing etc..does somthing like that even exist?

the further from your hands you get the less benifit you get, training with fists clenched is not a good idea, it tells your brain to keep your hands clenched while fighting and clenched is slow, you should relaxed and only clench on inpact which you can do with the plastic dumbells

the further from your hands you get the less benifit you get, training with fists clenched is not a good idea, it tells your brain to keep your hands clenched while fighting and clenched is slow, you should relaxed and only clench on inpact which you can do with the plastic dumbells

well my idea was if i have some weights attached to lets say my forearm, when i have my guard up, it will increase my shoulder strength and also increase my speed..because i would be used to punching with weight on my arms when i take them off i will feel heaps lighter...just my thought anyway

your idea is sound, having your arms/hands wieghted helps strenghten shoulders and help with speed but in practise it is like i said, for shadow boxing its easier and more benifiticial to hold wieghts which you can do with your wraps on then just put them down and move to a different excercise or just train with heavy gloves, i use 16 ounce to train normaly then move down to 12s to prep for fight 4 weeks out the 10s one week out, and part of my supersets include rounds shadow boxing with wieghts for that purpose

you can buy sand wraps with velcro straps from rebel sport

assuming you're training to box in a ring your fists won't be clenched anyway as you will be wearing gloves (boxing gloves aren't exactly thin)...

but to answer your question yes there are weighted wrist bands have a look in a gym/fitness equipment shop etc

yer i might pop down the work out shop see what they have tomorrow..because i just dont want somthing for shadow boxing, also for when im on bags...using 12ounce gloves at the moment that i got from the boxing gym...

Rubber bands and shadow boxing in front of the mirror.

Bands stretch heaps and let you keep speed.

Remember definition of power is strength x speed

You want to learn to hit hard then get on the net and do a search on tyson when he was young and being trained by Cus D'Amato.

He had Tyson punching and moving super fast but hitting like a mack truck.

Force = mass x acceleration.

Get your body behind you, will you be fighting with weights in your hands, NO, learn to pivot your body in the direction of your strike.

Bag work, do rounds on the bag, keep your guard up, always, alternate your bag work with 1 light and fast and 1 heavy, use a cooking clock for timing, light, rest, heavy, rest, light, rest, ect, keep going until you cannot hold your arms up, then just do light combos.

Train full body workouts, low weight high reps, lots of rest/sleep.

Take hits, its all well and good having six packs and training hard but if you dont learn to take hits you will be on your arse in 5 seconds.

Ive seen plenty of pretty boys with abs and shoulders go straight down on their arse fighting overweight guys who can take a hit..

Swimming will help develop your O2, and it is low impact, its good for recovery and fitness.

The main tip is dont get injured, always warm up.

Mate I dont know who trains you but its a bit of a worry, not trying to be a hero but you should already know not to clench your fist untill you land the punch, to train with clenched fist will make you slow and what 1st line of defence do you think you'll have when the punchers start to flow from your opponent.

Speed speed speed not weights, as your technique improves so will the power of your punches, it may be boxing but when you start to spar you'll soom learn how important your leg work will be in the ring, it will suprise you.

I started off with the Brizzi Brothers in preston and trained like a bastard, the first time I sparred I was almost f**cked after the first round, you just have to stick with it.

Best of luck Champ :thumbsup:

spot on mate! I've had 85 amateur bouts back in the late 1980's/1990s - a boxer never clenches his fist lol the glove doesn't allow a fist to be clenched anyway. I totally agree - speed speed speed! not weights (speed + mass = power) when a punch is thrown - the arm is totally relaxed (we call this hollow arms), snapping only at the end when the punch lands! I hardly ever did any weights, mainly focussed on plyometrics to improve explosive power (eg. throwing a medicine ball up against a wall - from a fighting stance - throw the ball out with one arm while keeping your other arm up protecting your chin (catch the ball with the same hand and repeate for 12 reps - then punch out without the ball for 20 seconds - speed). Throwing the ball forces you to use your hips and legs the way they are suppose to be used when throwing a straight punch. The hips and legs are where power comes from. Yep footwork is everything in boxing!

Mate I dont know who trains you but its a bit of a worry, not trying to be a hero but you should already know not to clench your fist untill you land the punch, to train with clenched fist will make you slow and what 1st line of defence do you think you'll have when the punchers start to flow from your opponent.

Speed speed speed not weights, as your technique improves so will the power of your punches, it may be boxing but when you start to spar you'll soom learn how important your leg work will be in the ring, it will suprise you.

I started off with the Brizzi Brothers in preston and trained like a bastard, the first time I sparred I was almost f**cked after the first round, you just have to stick with it.

Best of luck Champ :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

You've probably already bought your arm weights or whatever it was you were sold on at the time. The hand weights would have been ideal all the same.

Those pylo excericises Majestic mentioned are awesome. They build up your stamina/refine technique/build explosive power all at the same time. They're by far of my favorite sets to do.

Everyone has already mentioned you don't clench and flex while punching because it slows you down, you're also wasting energy and will tire faster if you're being 'flinchy mcFlichenstien' the whole time. The most important skill in the ring is being fast, fluid and able to adapt the always changing situation. Try be loose and relaxed and you'll be able to move more freely/faster :)

• 1 month later...

Floyd only does that for the cameras - he does his real training behind closed doors. It's a game of show and tell with Floyd - he's showing you everything but telling you nothing lol

Floyd Mayweather uses light dumbbells when shadow boxing. Nuff said.