SAU Community

Martial Arts

R-SPEC

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Beginning Krav Maga as a new year resolution in January. Didn't realize how useless and unknowledgable I was in a real life situation untill thrown into a bad situation the other night. Also the fitness aspect is very appealing :)

Any one training at Street Defensive Tactics in Adelaide?

should always do some looking around when it comes to street self defense. Especially places that use "tactics" and others in there name as it can be good marketing but poor training. Find out who the owner is and his background.

Birds google Krav Maga Melbourne there is a really good school there.

Graham Kruerschner (the main instructor) is an Expert Level 1 in Krav Maga amongst other arts, but I will definitely go in and have a look at the training first at a few places, anything in particular I should keep an eye out for?

there is a lot to look out for. I tend to shy away from too much marketing as said for street self defense and calling the gym whatever "tactic" is a red flag for me. Not a complete deal breaker but I hesitate straight away.

young instructors as well, generally they are either real bad or real good. But the good ones are more often then not, text book instructors rather then experienced.

Have a read if the following link, they have a lot of good tips for picking a good and bad gym.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88851

Also google the instructor see what comes up, that can also be a good helper. I dont like the sound of "Expert Level 1" sounds a bit iffy to me. That being said I have only briefly looked at Krav Maga, i dont know its practices and ranks for instructors. There is a World Federation of Krav Maga which I'd recommend seeing if your instructor is there or not.

Hope that helps mate.

I have trained with Graham, hes not young, he is experienced & defineately well qualified in several arts! Hes a good instructor too! That being said, its Krav, not the most technical of arts (my opinion), and its defintely geared toward mass market mcdojo orientated training! But if youve never done an art before, its a good foundation for future training (if you intend to be a bruce lee), or at the very least it will get you competant enough in a situation, in a relatively short time (its a military tactics hth system)! Also good for fitness!

Started with Shotokan when I was 12 then started boxing at 15, got the shit beat out of my in the ring at 17 by a tall lanky bugger who hit like he had anvils in his gloves, then started Tie Quan Do at 18 till 20 then Wing Chun Kung Fu till around 28, Go Kan Ru from 30 till 34.

Still do kata and bag work, but as age is catching up (46) and speed is not needed I do alot more weights and heavy hitting, also the cardio has gone so if I cannot finish a stink in 60 seconds Im finished.

LOL

Shotokan is awesome!

Kata is great too!

I got back in the ring for the first time in about 3 or 4 years today, and fcuk me was that tough

Granted ive put some size and weight on from back then, but so have the other guys!!

Think i busted my rib, and my back is killing me, but was great to go five rounds and taste a bit of leather again

MMA combat training coming soon

I'm quite new to martial arts - around 8 months of muay thai, 2 of which were intense training at Evolve MMA in singapore (5 hours a day) - about to go there for another month now, i love it there, get to train with the sityodtongs and some of thailands best fighters.

the rest of it is done here in perth at riddlers, also a great gym :)

I've only just gotten into sparring and love it, would like to try fighting one day just to test myself, not to go pro or anything

I did a bit of BJJ at evolve, and tried a month of it at "fight club" in ossy park, and some Judo at UWA.

I'd like to keep going with BJJ in perth but their all mainly SOR and too expensive for me to pay muay thai + BJJ + no time to drive so far :(

• 3 weeks later...

I did muay thai for a year and a half. It was the most intense year and a half of my life! Working a 10hr day then training from 6.30 - 9pm four times during the week and a sparring session on Saturday.

Ended up having 3 ring fights :-) won 2 of them and lost the third. I trained at a gym in Perth (West Australian Thai Boxing Centre). Thats my 2 cents worth anyways :yes:

I did muay thai for a year and a half. It was the most intense year and a half of my life! Working a 10hr day then training from 6.30 - 9pm four times during the week and a sparring session on Saturday.

Ended up having 3 ring fights :-) won 2 of them and lost the third. I trained at a gym in Perth (West Australian Thai Boxing Centre). Thats my 2 cents worth anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done about 7-8 years of Wing Chun total, although a few year gap in the middle when our Sifu did a runner. :spank:

We setup our own school last year of which I'm our assistant instructor. Taking off nicely which is good.

Also about 3 years into Hapkido although its wearing my body out. Small joints are not enjoying it.

Last year also took up Haidong Gumdo (Korean swordsmanship) which is fantastic fun and as much as I wasn't expecting very demanding on the body (Lots of holding low stances)

Also dabble in a bit of groundwork but more for fun then trying to progress through a system.

Edited by l_uk3y