SAU Community

Immoboliser Is Broken I Think

LordMidol

Guys,

I have a problem. I was about to go to the markets to get some vegetables and my car won't start.

Now is the time I admit it has been having issues over the last few weeks. It wouldn't do anything so I just take the key out put it back in and it'd start like normal.

But now it won't start at all.

I think I have this:

http://pfkaus.bluebo...owalarms[_id]=81

Symptoms:

Little red status light next to the ignition flashes red but when my key goes in it and turns it goes solid red. My little taggy thing is on my keyring.

The radio won't play, well, it does but it's all stoppy and starty.

No dash lights.

The battery is fine.

Ohhh, and I now have no horn as I dropped my horn fuse and now can't find it.

Really don't want to have to get an auto-elec round as we just spent $1500 a few weeks ago but if I must then I must.

Anything I can do though to confirm/deny my suspicion?

ETA: I read roadside assist will disable it for me allowing me to stop in at a shop at my convenience. Do they have a habit of doing this? I don't have rego papers on me to prove ownership though.

Edited by LordMidol

radio issues and no dash lights ? that isnt the alarm unless some monkey pulled power off the radio

battery has no amps, just shows 12v or close to it ? bad ground, corrosion, and fuselink , fuse underdash or bonnet ? get the battery load tested ???

bad keyswitch ? if you have a heavy keychain it kills the switches

a wiggle on the key while turning it starts it ? that would expalin the other issues as well, power to radio, dash lights etc can come from key area

pretty sure from your description its not the alarm

radio issues and no dash lights ? that isnt the alarm unless some monkey pulled power off the radio

battery has no amps, just shows 12v or close to it ? bad ground, corrosion, and fuselink , fuse underdash or bonnet ? get the battery load tested ???

bad keyswitch ? if you have a heavy keychain it kills the switches

a wiggle on the key while turning it starts it ? that would expalin the other issues as well, power to radio, dash lights etc can come from key area

pretty sure from your description its not the alarm

I ripped my dash out and got the override code from the immobiliser and entered it (took me about 50 tries to figure out how to do it) and the car started.

The radio is a bit buggered anyway or maybe the bloke who installed the immobilisers did a dodgy job. I dunno if the unit is faulty or my transponder as I lost my original.

Followed the instructions here:

http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarms/remote_controls/autowatch-remotes.html

well it sounds like you have a few issues, not just the alarm,

Im not a fan of that brand but anyway.

I'd look at the other things too, battery grounds, clean the terminals ? they can make alarms go crazy, and if your backup battery is near 2-3 years old or been deep cycled(battery in car ran dead) a few times it can cause issues.

Yeah I might swap the battery out for a new one I've got in the shed as the Stagea has a teeny battery anyway. The backup battery most definitely is 3+ years old (I didn't even know I had one) as I've had the car for 3 years.