SAU Community

Mr30 Sedan.... Help.

Hi Users,

After having owned a R33 GTS-T for a number of years, i had to get rid of it as i was purchasing a house.... Biggest mistake of my life. (selling the car, not buying a house)

A number of years later, (last week even) i came across this beautiful looking white thing on the side of the road that i have never seen before..

A 1984 MR30 Nissan Skyline with a L24E motor. Picked it up for $450, and the sign said needs radiator replacement. The Radiator tank, overflow bottle and engine was filled with this yellowy looking liquid, so i changed it. Got a new water pump and a new thermostat. Just waiting to put it in when i have some time off..

Now my main question really is.....

1. Where can i buy parts from. Pannels and trimming, etc... All of the L24e components are easily available from Repco/supercheap. (chasing some RS taillights also)

2. What motor/s are a direct fit to the MR30 sedan. Being it is an automatic also..... Realistically i would like to fit an RB20 or SR20, or the likes to it. Maybe even an RB26DETT. (dreaming) and where is the best place to look)

Have read alot of the forums in regards to the MR's, but alot of them are just troubleshooting promblems of which i dont have.

SO if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

Will attach a picture when i get the chance.

Thanks guys!

Michael.

The only motors that slot straight in is either an L20ET (JDM) or your L24E, anything else requires some modification.

RB conversions are relatively easy and there is info on it here as a couple of guys have already done it.

RS Tail lights are about $150/200 a pair and ebay.com.au or Yahoo Japan through an importer is just about the only way.

Cheers & good luck with your new toy,

D

If the auto is the one with overdrive you can get a shift kit done on it (Model Ln71b or something)

Also pretty easy to boost line pressure for quicker gear changes.

Panles are VERY thin on the ground, best source is find another $400 roadside find and keep it for spare parts...

good stuff mate

i am just building up my Mr30 with a rb25

buy as may spares as ur can is all i can say i am onto my 3rd parts car just in case

the auto to manual conversion is not hard and cheap i actual have a full set up laying around

here is a cheap set of rear JDM tail light for u

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-DR30-Skyline-Tail-Lights-FJ20-/140616015854?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20bd5e1fee

what about L26/28 dont they just bolt in Dennis?

I have 2 front sump L28, so yes they will bolt in, not sure what you need to do to the EFI to overcome the larger displacement though,

maybe higher fuel pressure ( adjustable fuel regulator), or 'tweek' the AFM,

or maybe trick the ECU into thinking its running colder than it is ( put a resistor in line with the ECU Temp sensor, this makes it run richer )

or go aftermarket EFI

Nigel

what about L26/28 dont they just bolt in Dennis?

L26/28 are all rear sump & our Skylines are all front sump, so mods have to be done to the oil pick up to convert to front sump plus something has to be done for dip stick to check oil. Either drill the block or fabricate something up the side of the engine, but whichever, it is a modification.

D

I think the Patrols were MID bowl sump...

The mods are not hard to do with the 280z engine. Ive seen a L20b oil pickup used without much modification. for a dip-stick, a tube can be welded to the side of the sump bowl at a near vertical angle, then insert dip stick. Would take an hour to do if you had all the welding kit.

The L24e ECU (which is rich as fk) will run the L28e engine, some AFM flap spring adjustment would make it a bit better.

Just use the original L24e Loom (incl the cold start and idle stuff)

Oh and there is a difference between the Manual and Auto distributors. (use according to your trans)

If I had spare money when I had the Hatchback, It would of been a definite option. (now all the spare cash goes to car Rego and self funded education!)

Also forgot to add...

factor in an injector replacement, the old ones are guaranteed to leak or be blocked. If they dont now, they will in time!

Suitable hosetail types are best found on ebay US as they are used in a heap ofother cars there, and lots of smaller companies are licensed to reproduce original manufacturer parts (Lucas do a good one)

They can still be had here in Aus, at twice the price. ($600 a set instead of $300)

Hi Again Lads ,

Sorry about the late reply from me. Been out of town for work.

Thanks for all your help.

On the weekend i changed the water pump over and the thermostat. AND, the car still overheats. I will do a complete clean and flush of the radiator this weekend.. and if it is the radiator, i have a spare R33 Alluminimum radiator that i plan to retro-fit into it.

But any suggestions on why it would overheat??

And well... where would i find an engine from to do a conversion.

Im from QLD, and dont really want to have to get a mod plate, so i should get it going, register it and then do the modifications....

I have done a few engine conversions before, but not for an engine that is not designed to be in that car. Eg, i have put in a 4G92 Mivec import into an a 4G91 CC Lancer, and put a new engine into a hilux surf. But nothing that will be this hard.....

How far off will the engine mounts be if i used an SR20 or Rb25/20/30?.. What about an FJ20?.

Am still getting that picture up too guys hah.

Cheers,

Michael.

Another question..

What about an aftermarket Airflow Sensor doovie.. so i can change the intake around?? The way its set up with that big useless metal box that attaches to the airbox is a bit silly... the tiny little intake needs re-jigging i think.

or not - a P90 head with flat-top pistons is the best designed L6 NA combo.

The 240Z head runs smaller valves than the later stuff, and is guaranteed to have been bastardised by experts several times over since the early '70's...

I've run a standard N42/N42 L28 with aftermarket EFI in an MR30 and it turned just shy of 70rwkW (automatic). That engine's last effort in my Z on the dyno was 144rwkW, but 12psi will do that...