SAU Community

Rb25Det Turbo Rebuild

I would like to know some of the specifics of the RB25DET Series 1 Turbo. From what I have gathered it is a T3, but I am unsure of the manufacturer. I found an eBay sale for a Garret T3 that was "for the RB25DET" that upgrades journal bearings to thrust bearings. Can anyone elaborate on the turbo or this particular upgrade?

I can do a little bit of Excel work on when my turbo spools and then I can get my school to pay towards the rebuild when I apply it to the class. So I would like to jump on this opportunity to "freshen up my turbo".

I addition to this I have read a lot the the ceramic compressor wheel causes some problems and was wondering if I anyone had more info on upgrading this.

Its a T3 turbo made by Garrett.

I dont understand what your going on about with the bearings, thrust and journal are two different bearings in your turbo.

You can get a steel turbine wheel to replace the standard ceramic wheel which in turn allows you to run more boost as the ceramic wheels cant handle elevated boost pressures.

As far as rebuilding a turbo goes its pretty easy to do yourself as long as there is no damage to the housings or wheels and you mark everything when taking it apart.

If you had of googled this you would have known all the answers to your questions.

• 2 weeks later...