SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

He was a legend of the game and he is an inspiration the way he went about fighting the illness, no disrespect but you obviously don't know much about him to question it.

And yes heaps of people have been through similar nobody is taking anything away from them

Edited by alr33x

He was a legend of the game and he is an inspiration the way he went about fighting the illness, no disrespect but you obviously don't know much about him to question it.

And yes heaps of people have been through similar nobody is taking anything away from them

If anything, being a celeb he more than likely got special treatment.

So if I die the same way i'll be an inspiration and a legend amongst tradies yeah

What special treatment would he get? He had the same operations anyone else would have.. Having said that you don't have your own charity you probably won't be out there helping others while your fighting for your life either like he was so yes likely less people would care cos you haven't done anything for them

No offence, but how does dying from cancer make you a "legend/inspiration" of the game?

Pretty sure he's not the only one who's battled the illness...

The fact that he kept the HUGE amount of charity work with Reach going all through it?

Raising funds, functions etc. Putting others ahead of himself - means nothing?

Also running the near dead Melb footy club at the same time. Remaining open about everything etc.

The fact he is the only player to play 11 years straight without a game off?

It's not just about that one persons struggle. No-one is saying he is the only person to battle the illness, however the way it was approached and dealt with is not just about cancer, but more so about the world in general. Too many simply roll over and give up

Rimspec is right to some extent. People battle cancer and die from it everyday, and plenty of them will actively help and support others ahead of themselves etc. The fact that he's famous makes everyone feel more sorry for him than Jane doe, it's human nature. Fact is of you didn't know of him you'd care just as much as you did that 20 Jane Does died of cancer before u had breakfast this morning, not at all.

As for him getting 'special treatment', it's true and it isn't. Money talks. He'd get the best of everything available. It didn't save his life, but having fbe best available care/treatment/hospital rooms never hurt anyone.

I'm so sick of the word hero being used for sports stars. I played football every weekend. I'm not heroic. Period. The guys putting their life on the line in Iraq/Afghanistan etc, fighting a war they may not even believe in, they're heroes, they're courageous and inspirational, and pretty much no one will think of them apart from a certain day of the year, or for a quick moment when their death is on the news.

Now let's get back to discussing the real issues. Mine and rimons bike purchases

I'm so sick of the word hero being used for sports stars. I played football every weekend. I'm not heroic. Period. The guys putting their life on the line in Iraq/Afghanistan etc, fighting a war they may not even believe in, they're heroes, they're courageous and inspirational, and pretty much no one will think of them apart from a certain day of the year, or for a quick moment when their death is on the news.

Now let's get back to discussing the real issues. Mine and rimons bike purchases

The media over hype and over estimate so-called sports people...

Hows the bike purchase all going? haha!

Thats my point. If an unknown did exactly the same thing would anyone even mention their name? Highly doubt it. Soon as a famous name does a good deed its instant hero status for them.

Either way RIP

I'm going to check out that ducati today

This will be my final post on the subject but I really believe he was an extraordinary person. He never put his own life above anyone else's and given the circumstances he always put other people ahead of himself. His work through reach and the way he inspired all those around him is truely remarkable.

I'm not taking anything away from those who are battling cancer, but Stynes' remarkable work is well documented. I'm not even touching on him as an athlete either.

Rimspec is right to some extent. People battle cancer and die from it everyday, and plenty of them will actively help and support others ahead of themselves etc. The fact that he's famous makes everyone feel more sorry for him than Jane doe, it's human nature. Fact is of you didn't know of him you'd care just as much as you did that 20 Jane Does died of cancer before u had breakfast this morning, not at all.

As for him getting 'special treatment', it's true and it isn't. Money talks. He'd get the best of everything available. It didn't save his life, but having fbe best available care/treatment/hospital rooms never hurt anyone.

I'm not calling the bloke a hero. Totally agree RE: diggers etc.

Inspirational & someone to aspire too - yes