SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

Surely not as grueling a task as running cables provided it's safe, as in not to hot or to wet or to windy or after 4.00pm or every second Monday!

amiright?

pls dont bash me i just like to stir the pot

I would LOVE to see you on one of the cable pulls we do on a regular basis.

The heat off rule seems to be one of the go to things for you anti union guys, but you don't seem to mention that we have to wear full length clothing, as well as gloves hard hat and glasses, covering pretty much every area that heat escapes your body... How often does it hit 35 before 3pm anyway? It's a very rare occurrence, which means those days where it's 34.9 for most of the afternoon, we sweat it out in the heat.

Rained off rule is even rarer. I'm yet to be rained off a job in almost 4 years.

We pay for our RDOs so another great point there...

Still paying to learn

The only reason undergraduates (except arts students, they don't count) enrol in uni is the prospect of a good job down the line or entering an industry that requires it

It's a sacrifice up front and a shit one at that, made worthwhile if you see a good job from it but plenty don't and come out the other end with a low interest debt

Coz our job is guaranteed yeah... People get sacked in our industry on a regular basis. But I'm sure the media has told you the union protects us against that..

Don't understand those people that study a subject where there's only a handful of jobs throughout Australia lol

Then they work at flight centre on 40k pa and slowly pay off their uni debt :\

• Like 1

Don't understand those people that study a subject where there's only a handful of jobs throughout Australia lol

Then piss and moan about it after the fact.

A courier isn't exactly qualified or skilled... Nothing against them, we can't all be brain surgeons, but it's unskilled work nonetheless.

I don't get the point of everyone telling me about all these hard and underpaid occupations/careers. They're underpaid, they choose to do nothing about it and cop it while their boss/employer takes home the cash. Unions allow workers to not just be bent over and f**ked in the ass by greedy employers and builders in my industry. They also put a big focus on safety, for real not just the shit you guys seem to think you know about, without having actually worked in construction.

My mate did full time uni to be a high school teacher... He worked pretty much the same hours I did at the time. Half day of classes on a Wednesday and optional tutorial or lecture or something on one other day of the week... Hardly a gruelling task.

..lol..says there is no skill but no doubt complains when his parcel is late or damaged...

I'll admit its not brain surgery, but it takes skill to be good at anything...

I have no problem with unions, infact I wish we had one...but tell me, when the transport industry becomes unionised and all our costs increase dramatically to cover all the costs and this eats in to your profits...Will you be happy to pay the price? Somehow I doubt it or you would all be using Linfox...not the other guys...

I can wire up an electrical plug, its not hard...give me a diagram and all the equipment I am sure I could wire up a whole house...Am I allowed to, No...because I might f**k it up and that is dangerous...Yet I see people drop shit in the road all the time because they didn't tie it down properly..So why is it perfectly legal for people Transport their own stuff when they clearly have no idea what they are doing?

I hate unionised transport drivers.

We had some douchelord deliver some goods to a restaurant I worked at.

He or them down on the floor in the middle of the restaurant because there was 2 steps there. When the owner asked if he could put the stuff a few metres away where customs wouldn't trip on it he replied with

"My EBA states I only have to climb 2 steps and there is one step at the doorway so that makes 3."

I'm not even f**king kidding

• Like 1

Direct Freight did a delivery here to work yesterday.

Driver backs his truck up to our roller door, swings open the back and jumps in... I spot that all the random boxes are sliding around and diagonal like they were stacked up and have fallen.

Give me a box which had a corner collapsed in, said it was like that at pickup...

I sign for it, he then goes to gather the dozen (1-2 foot sized) boxes from the truck floor and literally throws them half the length of the truck (4m) from a 50cm height so they are closer to the back door. Then he stacks them 2 high in front of the door.

I understand that truck drivers are technically "professional" drivers, but a lot of them can only claim that because they do it for a "profession".

There are some good ones out there, but there's some serious knobs out there as well.

Don't throw items around in front of a customer, or at all.

I would LOVE to see you on one of the cable pulls we do on a regular basis.

The heat off rule seems to be one of the go to things for you anti union guys, but you don't seem to mention that we have to wear full length clothing, as well as gloves hard hat and glasses, covering pretty much every area that heat escapes your body... How often does it hit 35 before 3pm anyway? It's a very rare occurrence, which means those days where it's 34.9 for most of the afternoon, we sweat it out in the heat.

Rained off rule is even rarer. I'm yet to be rained off a job in almost 4 years.

We pay for our RDOs so another great point there...

Coz our job is guaranteed yeah... People get sacked in our industry on a regular basis. But I'm sure the media has told you the union protects us against that..

The heat / rain / RDO stuff is fair. Helps that I like you though..

I wonder how many of those people sacked face that outcome because the employer can't afford the wages that result from union bully tactics (or if they are genuine flogs who hide behind the union and try to blend in with the decent blokes like dezz)

So in the name of safety, lets unionise the transport industry so I dont get ripped off by my employer (which is you btw)...then make it impossible/illegal for anybody to transport goods without the appropriate tickets/qualifications...

Then...

Lets extort this by charging ridiculous amounts of money to transport goods....muhahahha..

Cwatididthar ;)

Edited by ARTZ
  • Like 2

Usually those studying engineering

Its not just academic scores, its real world and people skllls they also seem to lack

• Like 1

Direct Freight did a delivery here to work yesterday.

Driver backs his truck up to our roller door, swings open the back and jumps in... I spot that all the random boxes are sliding around and diagonal like they were stacked up and have fallen.

Give me a box which had a corner collapsed in, said it was like that at pickup...

I sign for it, he then goes to gather the dozen (1-2 foot sized) boxes from the truck floor and literally throws them half the length of the truck (4m) from a 50cm height so they are closer to the back door. Then he stacks them 2 high in front of the door.

I understand that truck drivers are technically "professional" drivers, but a lot of them can only claim that because they do it for a "profession".

There are some good ones out there, but there's some serious knobs out there as well.

Don't throw items around in front of a customer, or at all.

Well if you read what I said you would realize it is because they don't get paid enough to care...

I don't get the point of everyone telling me about all these hard and underpaid occupations/careers. They're underpaid, they choose to do nothing about it and cop it while their boss/employer takes home the cash.

Because we remember back a couple of years to when you used to sook about pay/working when taking home properly good money for an apprentice.

post-36777-14241430157531_thumb.jpg

Because we remember back a couple of years to when you used to sook about pay/working when taking home properly good money for an apprentice.

Unlikely champ. I knew from day one I was on good money. The very reason I chose commercial over being ass raped for $300 gross a week in domestic.

I hate unionised transport drivers.

We had some douchelord deliver some goods to a restaurant I worked at.

He or them down on the floor in the middle of the restaurant because there was 2 steps there. When the owner asked if he could put the stuff a few metres away where customs wouldn't trip on it he replied with

"My EBA states I only have to climb 2 steps and there is one step at the doorway so that makes 3."

I'm not even f**king kidding

At the same time I read this I picked up a job that requires me to hand unload 130 boxes to Carlisle homes..Now off I am lucky there will be some fit bored bloke there willing to help...chamces are it will be some hot sales chick who wont lift a finger and she will expect me to haul them up to the second floor and pit them.on the top shelf in the backroom...If I am lucky she might even offer me a drink...